It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Harry S. Truman Suffers Recent Security Breach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
In a recent CNN story, it has been revealed that last month a civilian managed to sneak aboard the aircraft carrier USS Harry Truman, while it was docked in Portsmouth, England. The civilain is described as a 37 year-old man of West African descent named Abdoul Masmoud Yessoufou. Apparently, this individual has also attempted security breaches at British airports and other military facilities. The investigation has determined that Yessoufou was able to bypass dockside security and board a small ferry which was bringing crewmembers to the ship. Upon arriving at the USS Harry S. Truman Yessoufou was able to wander around the ship for approximately 30 minutes before being apprehended.

www.cnn.com
U.S. and British military and law enforcement officials are investigating how a man was able to sneak on board the USS Harry S. Truman last month while the aircraft carrier was making a port call in Portsmouth, England.

Security personnel searched the area where the intruder was caught and found that he had not planted any explosives or caused any damage. It was determined that he was not a terrorist.

U.S. Naval Criminal Investigative Service personnel and security officials from the Royal Navy will focus on how the intruder was able to breach the port's security and then get on the ship without showing identification papers, officials said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find two things compelling about this story. First, is the simple fact that this individual was able to breach dock security to board a US aircraft carrier. Second, is the fact that the investigation concluded that Yessoufou is not a terrorist. I do not understand either how or why an individual would attempt to breach secure locations repeatedly with only benign intent. Sure, he may not be a bomber or direct attacker, but gathering intelligence for terrorist attacks could easily be considered an act of terrorism in itself.

I hope more comes out about the incident and Yessoufou as I am quite curious as to his motives. I highly doubt that his efforts served only as a wakeup call to the installations/facilities he has attempted to access.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Breaching foreign beach security is one thing, but breaching shipboard secrutity is something else. I'll bet the OOD (Officer of the Deck) is in Alaska or Iraq now. The ships Security Officer is probably in Antarctica.

No excuse for something like this.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
He mingled with a civilian tour that came aboard. The ship was at anchor, and he was with the tourists. Bet the tours are over.

As a side note, the ship was supposed to go to South Africa for a liberty call vice England, but South African authorities wanted to inspect the reactor spaces first. Riiiiiiiggghhhtt...Liberty's better in England anyway.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilligaf
He mingled with a civilian tour that came aboard. The ship was at anchor, and he was with the tourists. Bet the tours are over.

As a side note, the ship was supposed to go to South Africa for a liberty call vice England, but South African authorities wanted to inspect the reactor spaces first. Riiiiiiiggghhhtt...Liberty's better in England anyway.

Do you have a source for this new information, because the CNN story indicates that he was ferried to the carrier aboard a transport ship along with crewmembers?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Any money on whether this guy's a contractor, paid to do just this sort of intrusion, and the Media's blowing this up into something else?

The government, and military, have been doing this a lot recently, hiring people to try security arrangements. It's cheap and easy. And it works best when you hire people who fit a known "profile" and watch your security fail because of all the fears of"racial profiling" lawsuits. Obvious Arabic name, obvious Arabic features, proper age range. Bet he even went in on the day they were informed of such an intrusion test. The only better way to perform such intrusions is to have your "agent" be an attractive, flirtatious woman.

Media likes this sort of thing because it lets them promote the image of the US as incompetent. I bet some real reporting would dig up interesting bits, like who he was really working for. But that's not part of the Media's agenda. If it ever comes out he was a hired contractor, the spin masters will try to say it was the Military trying to promote more terror and racism against Arabs or some such.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
very frightening ..even though he was not carrying any explosives ..what did he see what rooms did he go in. did he have a camera

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I know a lot of people hate profiling and think it is unnecessary, but then why is it that when just about anything like this happens, the person has a muslim name? If muslims don't want to be singled out as real/potential terrorists all the time, then I say give it a rest until a few more blonde and blue-eyed scandinavians are caught doing this kind of thing.

P.S. Any bets on what the origin of the Washington DC Cessna pilot is going to be?

[edit on 5/11/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I was part of the Marine Security Detachment on the USS Kittyhawk, had this person transgressed into a high security area of the ship he would have been met with deadly force. An aircraft carrier is HUGE and it is possible to slip away from a tour group etc ...but anyplace that real damage could be done is EXTREMELY well protected.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
My cousin serves on this ship, he told me he they had a couple of incidents on their last cruise, they had their comunications with family cut off because somebody had leaked their destination to a family member and the navy found out (BIG NO-NO) this happend a few days before this incident took place. Outside communication so sooo limeted that a lot of people on the ship didn't know about this until a day or 2 before getting back home. He was shocked when I ask him about here (i had heard of this on another thread here on ATS) he was how did I hear about it, he had foudn out a meer 2 days before. well I have sources (looks around................shhhhhhhhhh-ATS-pass it on.............)

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm glad breaches like this are exposed. The more press that is brought to these incidents, the more stringent security will have to become. Why are they doing tours on a ship that is still active? People outside of those assigned do not need to be on that boat. Let them sit at home and do it from their computer, or let them do it on a ship that has been retired.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Oh forgot to add, he went throw 2 defirent levels of security levels, not sure what it means my cousin didn't get specific. But he pass the first basic level or something (escape from the other tourist) then broke past another security checkpoint/level, I'm not sure my cousin didn't want to get into specifics they had their Behind chew on their last cruise over the course of the last cruise so they've gotten a bit more tight lipped.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This guy could just very well be NUTS! There are people out there like that, who will breach security at places for no apparant reason. They wander around aimlessly. To me, this guy is probably the equivelant of the wackjob who walks up to the White House gate and asks to speak with the President.

This guy could just be the type that gets his rocks off by sneaking into places he knows he shouldn't be. Either that, or he's doing some dry runs for the next al Qaida attack!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Never happened

how do i know this.

think about it! lol

try find this story in any british news paper

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by owell

Never happened

how do i know this.

think about it! lol

try find this story in any british news paper

Okay, then what's the point of issuing such a report in the American media? Do we have some unknown interest in painting ourselves as incompetent? I suspect it wasn't news in the UK because it was the USS Harry S. Truman not the HMS Harry S. Truman. We also don't report on UK Iraq casualties in the American media because they're not our citizens. We report on American casualties.

Based on this flimsy logic do you also believe that state and local elections in the US are bogus because BBC doesn't report on them? Or how about stories about changing NIH or NASA or DoD policies...bogus too because you can't find them on Pravda?

new topics

top topics

join