It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Fake Badges Seized in Recent Raid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Recently Federal Agents siezed over 1300 fake law enforcement badges from a Russian citizen in New York City. The badges originated in Taiwan and were shipped from there to San Francisco and finally to New York. Special Agent Martin Ficke described the badges as "very, very good" and contended that 9 out of 10 could pass as authentic. In some cases, the badges even displayed the "signature" of the company that makes the real ones.

www.cnn.com
Federal agents arrested a man on Monday, charging him with possessing and selling more than 1,300 counterfeit badges representing 35 law enforcement agencies, the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agency said.

The phony badges mimic real badges from agencies such as the FBI, U.S. Marshals, Customs, Drug Enforcement Agency, Treasury and New York Police Department, Ficke said. Some even had a signature from the company that makes the real badges.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Such a siezure is good news from the point of view that the badges are off the street, but could indicate that a serious effort is underway to enable individuals to pose as law enforcement officers. It does not take much imagination to think of ways badges like these could be used to either compromise security or cause additional mayhem after an attack has occurred.

Maybe it's time to put RFID chips or some sort of biometric security into law enforcement badges since they have the potential of providing greater access to their users than do driver's licenses or passports. Unfortunately, I cannot think of a better way to avoid the "rights amplification" which would be the result of using fake badges.

[edit on 10-5-2005 by chaosrain]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Good post...I heard about this earlier today on the news. I agree that some type of biometric security should be implemented into these badges.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If you read the article, you'll find they found a used casing of a shoulder fired missile in the individual's apartment.

Now the plot really gets ticker!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Very scary.

I hope that they get a lot of information from the computer that they seized. It seems odd that the badges only sold for $35 - $50. If they were that good you would think that people would be willing to pay much more.

Jemison

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I also agree that some type of biometric security should be implemented into these badges, however there is one problem even using that technolgy. The average person on the street has no way of scanning the chip, so it would only benifit the authorities. Still a good idea though.

Perhaps they can issue even man, woman and child a scanner to verify that they are real. Yes, I know it sounds kind of stupid, but just think about it for a minute. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to verify they are who they claim there are?

I say this knowing that new DL's are going to have built in RFID's and the benefits outweigh the cons. No need for companies to run detailed background checks to make sure a new employee is a legal immigrant, the list goes on and on.

[edit on 5/10/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Looks like we need the Golden Meteor Badges, you know, the ones that corruscate in vidid colours on their own, and when you touch them you are aware of an unpronoucable syllable......

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Police badges are not all that hard to find over here in new york, you can get badges here pretty cheaply. they are used by certain criminal groups here in the city to rob other criminals of their stashes and such and most recently people from the diamond district would be stop by fake cops and robbed. It's been a open secret of the streets for years, even cops knew about fake badges being used to rob criminals. Wasn't that big a deal because it was mostly drug dealers getting rob, now with the war on terror and non-criminals like that diamond guy getting killed it's getting looked at alot more.

It's good that they get rid of this, because this has created alot of dangers for cop. A lot of criminals end up shooting at plain clothes cops when something goes down on the off-chance that they aren't real cops. I've heard of at least 4 or 5 cases where some one wouldn't comply and at least 2 where they actually took shots at the cops because they weren't sure if they were just out to robbed them. One case I remember like 6 or 7 years ago was really bizare, because the guy took 2 shots at and undercover then toss his gun and flagged down a patrol car and told them someone was trying to kill him. The guy ended up getting away while the cops where trying to figure out what was going on.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Give everyone a scanner, and you give anyone with even remote technical skills the information they need to fake it. A scanning device has to know what conditions need to be met to display "authentic", retroengineering will give you those conditions.

RFID is the worst security idea in decades. An uncontrolled, non-invasive way to read an ID at a distance, without the bearer knowing. Not like a badge that must at least be stolen, or a fingerprint that must be lifted, this can be "sniffed" by a receiver at a pretty good distance with a sensitive enough tuner. Capture the ID from a known good source, retransmit or save till later. Repeat until you've gotten the pattern or algoritm down to "issue" your own. And let the fun begin.

Originally posted by shots
I also agree that some type of biometric security should be implemented into these badges, however there is one problem even using that technolgy. The average person on the street has no way of scanning the chip, so it would only benifit the authorities. Still a good idea though.

Perhaps they can issue even man, woman and child a scanner to verify that they are real. Yes, I know it sounds kind of stupid, but just think about it for a minute. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to verify they are who they claim there are?

I say this knowing that new DL's are going to have built in RFID's and the benefits outweigh the cons. No need for companies to run detailed background checks to make sure a new employee is a legal immigrant, the list goes on and on.

[edit on 5/10/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Why dont you just do what Finland has done. Police officers dont identify themselves with badges but with a drivers license looking card that is propably very hard to fake. Badge being only for initial ID every officer is required to carry and show their police ID cards if any1 asks.

top topics

join