It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underrated Movies???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
For one of Aussie's better thefts of Kiwi talent, pre-gladiatorial days, try these Russell Crowe efforts:

The Sum Of Us (openly gay son/study of relationship with his father played by Jack Thompson)

Romper Stomper (Asian-bashing neo-Nazi skinhead).

But avoid T.O.F.O.G.

Got that?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
"Stuart Saves his Family"

"Waiting for Guffman"

[edit on 05/5/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It's funny how The Cutting Edge does have a cult following. Even I own that on DVD and do very much enjoy watching it.

Yep, a buddy of mine had it on his DVD wishlist for his birthday...go figure...

At least we're MAN enough to admit it!

Agree on "Eyes Wide Shut" Simon....powerful and underrated flick, and not just because we see alot of the goddess known as Nicole Kidman (but hey, it's a nice bonus). Certainly a must see for fans of this website...
Anyone else envision this cult while reading the DaVinci Code? I can't be the only one....

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think "Eyes Wide Shut" was highly underrated, as well. It was classically Kubrick, if you know what I mean--completely captivating, both visually and narratively. The sexual content is what doomed the film critically, because so many folks can't get beyond that component and frankly, the genius that marks "Eyes Wide Shut" could have been just as effective on any script of equal quality, especially with that cast.

It is fitting, though, that this was Kubrick's last film--a tour de force that pushed the boundaries of sexual content in mainstream film with such ease, where so many have failed so miserably in the past. For myself, the nudity and sexuality of the film are hardly noticeable, partly because of my jaded nature, even though nudity and sexuality in mainstream film usually offend me because they are almost always so blatantly gratuitous.

In Eyes Wide Shut, Kubrick was able to bring his signature qualities to a film that pushed the envelope in so many ways without insulting either my sensibilities or my intelligence. That's a fine line to walk, indeed.

[edit on 05/5/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Here are my top 10 underrated movies.

The Assignment - one of the all time great terrorist thrillers. Its about Carlos The Jackal, how the FBI caught him. It stars Donald Sutherland, Ben Kingsley and Aiden Quinn. If you havent seen it you dont know what u missed. For me, this is the most underrated movie of all time.

44 Minutes - The best cable movie ever. It would have been at hit at cinemas about the biggest shootout in the US, with two bank robbers taking on the whole LAPD.

Cube - I have no idea why this great little sci-fi film wasnt released at the movies. Maybe because it was Canadian?

Rounders - this should have grossed much more at the box office, but I guess not many people understand poker, which is a shame as this poker drama was a great movie starring Matt Damon and Ed Norton.

Max - a fascinating movie about the early life as Hitler as an artist. I dont know why this didnt get more recognition. Starring John Cusack.

Phoenix - starring Ray Liotta. A wonderful intense crime drama about a cop with a gambling addiciton planning a heist from the bookies who are pressuring him to pay his debt. This movie is just as good as Heat and Narc.

Return to Paradise - what an involving movie this was about about a drug smuggler getting caught in Malalysia. Joaquin Phoenix could have won an oscar with his performance. Also starring Anne Henche and Vince Vaughn.

Vendetta - I bet not many people have heard of this movie, yet it such an important piece of American history. Starring Christopher Walken about the largest lynching of immigrants in US history. Very intense and sad

Nighthawks - just after Sylvester Stallone did Rocky he starred in this great thriller about a german terrorist played by Rutger Hauer.

An Innocent Man - a great prison movie starring Tom Selleck about a man being set up with drugs by cops and sent to prison for six years, all the while trying to prove his innocence.

Other mentions are Bound, Casualties of War, Deathwatch, and Rosewood.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
One of my all time favorite movies is Dark City , funny thing the first time i watched it i didn't really think it was great. but then i had a buddy who spent the summer with me and we ended up watching this over and over again. Long story short, While i'm not too artsy i eventually got alot of things about this movie. alot of little details about it that you woudn't normally see. the number one complaint about it is how all the actors acted badly. But once you realize that everyone in the whole city is brainwashed and basically isn't really there(everyone in the whole city is brainwashed and given a new identity almost every week) you start to realize how good they all were at their roles. If you have time to kill watch this movie and definetly watch the commentary on it. its one of the best i've ever experienced in any film.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Jacob's Ladder - One of the earliest "mess with your mind" films. Tim Robbins, Elizabeth Peña, and Danny Aiello: A traumatized Vietnam war veteran finds out that his post-war life isn't what he believes it to be when he's attacked by horned creatures in the subway and his dead son comes to visit him.

(John Carpenter's) The Thing - Still to this day, some of the best special effects and suspense in a sci-fi/horror. Kurt Russel and a whole bunch of "know the face but not the name" actors: Scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The Eye: A Japnese horror flick about a blind girl who undergoes an operation to see again... Scary... Recommend watching with your girlfriend on the side for extra special effects

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
(John Carpenter's) The Thing - Still to this day, some of the best special effects and suspense in a sci-fi/horror. Kurt Russel and a whole bunch of "know the face but not the name" actors: Scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.

Watched it again for the 10,000th time (guesstimate) last night and it never gets old.

Peace

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Bound: Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon are lesbian lovers...what's not to like about that? Damn fine movie, and not just because of that!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The Fifth Element is under rated? Everyone I know loved it, watched it many times.

Also Jacob's Ladder is another good one.

Here's a movie very few know about called "The Keep". A Michael Man Film set in WW2 Austria. It has Nazis, ancient structures, music by Tangerine Dream, and this guy....

The Germans decide to stay at the ancient keep and release the demon guy who consumes them. Very original.

You will probably not find it in a video store, maybe online rental.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yes! Bound was an awesome film, and the non Lesbian scenes were good too.

One of the coolest and cheesiest fantasy flicks to come out...and then be completely forgotten: Krull

external image

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Dutch I was amazed when the first time I ever heard of it, I was watching it on cable. Really good movie with the guy from Married With Children(his name escapes me at the moment) bringing his girlfriend's brat of a son home from boarding school, forcefully, for Thanksgiving. Classic road trip with plenty of mishaps. Definite great sleeper movie.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I agree with Fred T, Edge of darkness was really good !! I am sure it was a series though and it also had Bob Peck in it.

I think Ronin is such a good film too, and I know its sad but I enjoyed Sweet Home Alabama as well...........

Another film I like is The Natural with Robert Redford, another is The 13th Warrior, one more is Man on Fire....................

I could go on and on and on........................

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
A couple of my favorites...

Equilibrium A science fiction movie set in the near future. Emotions have been outlawed. Starring Christian Bale ( The new Batman).

Final Option 1982 Movie about the British SAS and a group of terroist, in the American Embassy in England.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quake
The Eye: A Japnese horror flick about a blind girl who undergoes an operation to see again... Scary... Recommend watching with your girlfriend on the side for extra special effects

That was possibly the scariest movie I've ever, ever seen. It was Chinese though, correct? At least...Hong Kong-based, in Cantonese?

Great, great movie.

Alrighty....

Dog Soldiers - yeah, I'm biased. I went to school with one of the co-stars. We even share the exact same DOB.

Garden State - fabulous. I want to marry Zach Braff. Mandy Moore, I hate you.

Lady Jane - Helena Bonham Carter is just wonderful in this.

Elizabeth -
Fantabulous.

Dead Alive - Peter Jackson's hysterically over-the-top zombie flick.

S'all I could think of at short notice....

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower

That was possibly the scariest movie I've ever, ever seen. It was Chinese though, correct? At least...Hong Kong-based, in Cantonese?

Great, great movie.

I think you are right. Thanks for correcting me. It was HK based and was directed by Thai directors. So, the original was definitely not Japanese.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Word on that. Great film, puts the original to shame and that does not happen often. That tension building music is brilliant, just one note, struck twice, but very effective.

I like the movie "Slacker", not too well known, but really cool!
Also, "Shadow of the Vampire", it is a sort of making of the original Vampire movie "Nosferatu", very well done!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well, I'm pretty much a fan of all Sword and Sorcery flicks, no matter how cheesy (for the one bringing up Krull...can you say "Hawk the Slayer"?
), and the Keep is a classic....

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Brad Anderson's Time Traveller film - Happy Accidents is a gem of an indie flick that requires at least several viewings.

An Australian film called - Alien Visitor is really fascinating, I believe it came out in 1995. I love the line 'We Breathe The Foul Air'.

From my neck o the woods Bob and Doug MacKenzies' - Strange Brew is so hilariously silly. It cheers me up whenever I'm feeling down.

Sam Raimi's spoofs his own work and all genres of film with - Army of Darkness Get a DVD copy of the Boomstick Edition: Bruce Campbell Vs The Army of Darkness. 'Baby You Got Real Ugly'!!! ROLMAO!

One of the funniest comedies of the 80's was - Better Off Dead a film that made John Cusack's career and takes a light look at suicide. This film hardly ever gets mentioned anymore. Go Figure!

But the film that I truely believe is the all-time underrated film ever:

Being There

I believe it was one of Peter Seller's last films.

A m a z i n g!

check out this site for some additional insights on the film,
www.geocities.com...

Better yet go and rent the movie and judge for yourself!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join