It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underrated Movies???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
What do you think some of the underrated movies were, and why?
You know, you never saw them in theaters, saw them later on tv, and then went
How did I miss those?

Just with comedies first, for me....

Wet, Hot American Summer - An all star cast, and a child of the 80's will laugh their ass off!

The Sweetest Thing - Carmen Diaz and Christina Applegate, car lesbianesque scene that is classic comedy....

Out Cold - Just for the great ideas for pranks on a drunk friend, and of course, the hot tub Cassanova....

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My choice for most underrated movie is North Shore. The acting is not Oscar caliber, but the surfing sequences and the music are top notch. It's probably my favorite guilty pleasure to watch it repeatedly.

Peace

[edit on 10-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Another one for me...

The Cutting Edge - For reasons I am still trying to figure out....my only guess is that a lot of my early relationships were very Taming of the Shrew-like, so I'm reminiscing, but I really have no idea why I feel the need to watch this every time I catch it on...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Out Cold- "No Brain, No Headaches."

Under rated movie? JP3 comes to mind. It is a good movie, the little kid is annoying, but the technique and style is cool.

Human Stain is one I bet many people have never heard of. Great Anthony Hopkins film.

Boondock Saints is one that was under rated in America since it got banned after the Columbia shootings happened.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The Fifth Element!

I love that movie, it had great style and an even better screen play. I dunno why almost everyone I asked said they didnt like it. Maybe its just me, but I like futuristic space movies... Bah to them!
BAH them all for under appreciating this movie.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
i think that the film phone booth can be underated as it is just in a phone booth. believe it or not it only took 10 days to make(not including editing). i really like this film and the fact that it isnt that long means that it doesnt get too tedious

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yes, I know it's a chick flick, but Playing By Heart is actually a well done movie with a huge cast that most have probably never heard of. It's a movie that you can watch with the gf and not want to hang yourself.

Cast:
Gillian Anderson Ellen Burstyn
Sean Connery Angelina Jolie
Anthony Edwards Jay Mohr
Ryan Phillippe Dennis Quaid
Gena Rowlands Jon Stewart
Madeleine Stowe Michael Emerson

AND I know that Ridick got a of bad rap, but you have to admit that visually the movie is stunning.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I think "Happy Texas" is underrated. It's a great 'twisted' comedy.
Review

Sanc'.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Fifth Element...another good choice...

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wow so im not the only one who liked this movie!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Multipass!!!

And that gun is definitely on my X-Mas wishlist, hehe....

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
top underrated movie would be saving... private ryan but this got some cred so jimmy grimble class footy movie but so... is.. football factory ..also i fell that the heres.. johnny movie is overrated

:bnghd:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Underrated movies, huh? Here's my list:

Event Horizon - The best horror/sci fi ever, in my humble opinion. Slow it down at certain parts, and you will see some insane stuff going down. Sam Neill is brilliant as the highly unstable Dr Weir. Also stars Lawrence Fishburne, Joely Richardson, and Sean Pertwee.

Pitch Black - Vin Diesel's best film to date for me. Richard B Riddick is one of the best antiheroes ever. Brilliant directing, imaginative yet realistic settings, nasty monsters, and appearances by Claudia Black (Farscape), and Keith David (the voice of Spawn, I believe).

Fifth Element - This film is so awesome. Bruce Willis kicks arse, Milla Jovovich kicks arse, Gary Oldman is excellent as Zorg, and Chris Tucker is hilarious. Love the hairdos, Chris.

Dog Soldiers - British cult movie. Yet another fine perfomance by Sean Pertwee (Event Horizon, Equilibrium, The 51st State). Watch as a British Army squad gets picked off by a family of werewolves in the Scottish Highlands. Ahhh.... bonnie Scotland....

Human Traffic - This movie should be required viewing for clubbers. Follow a weekend in the life of Jip (John Simm) and his friends as they hit clubs, drop ecstacy, fall in love, and basically have a wild time in Cardiff. Packed full of student philosophy too, including the theory that Star Wars is based on the story of a drug cartel. Awesome soundtrack on this movie.

The 51st State - Samuel L Jackson is Elmo. Elmo is a master chemist, who tried to kill his drug lord boss (Meatloaf), before jetting off to Liverpool to make a deal for a new drug's formula. He is stranded in Liverpool with local wise guy Felix, played by Robert Carlyle. Hilarious comedy crime caper, featuring guns, drugs, nazis, football hooligans, bent cops, crazed gangsters, and a foxy female contract killer. Also stars Sean Pertwee, Ricky Tomlinson, and Rhys Ifans.

Twin Town - A Swansea drug dealer and his bent cop associates come unstuck when they declare war on two brothers. Unfortunately for them, the two brothers are, in their view, untouchable, and as such, the brothers stop at nothing to avenge the murder of their family. Comedy crime caper starring Dougray Scott and Rhys Ifans.

Virtuosity - How utterly ironic is it that this is my favourite performance by Russell Crowe. I say ironic, because he plays the psychotic computer program turned synthetic nanotech android Sid 6.7. Denzel Washington plays Parker Barnes, the cop with a history with an aspect of Sid 6.7's personality. One for the techno phreaks out there, this performance by Crowe shows similarities to Wesley Snipes in Demolition Man.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Pitch Black is an awesome movie... if you have not, do so..

I saw it at the drive - in and told my G/F that night, this dude is cool, he'll make other movies...

Good Stuff.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
daystar oh my god how did i forget dog soilders class movie also how much press did ..shawn of the dead.. recieve, another class movie

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Virtuosity....awesome flick. I can't even hear Saturday Night Fever without picturing Crowe in his newly acquired suit, hehe...

"That's a nice suit"
"Thanks!"
"What size are you?"

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Boondock Saints is one that was under rated in America since it got banned after the Columbia shootings happened.

Definitely Ditto! I had never even heard about till a friend brought me over his bootleg vhs tape of it. I've always thought that it would be cool for some production company to look into re-releasing it in the States. It's a few years old, but it's definitely not out-dated.

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Event Horizon - The best horror/sci fi ever, in my humble opinion. Slow it down at certain parts, and you will see some insane stuff going down. Sam Neill is brilliant as the highly unstable Dr Weir. Also stars Lawrence Fishburne, Joely Richardson, and Sean Pertwee.

One of the scariest flicks I've ever seen! Love that movie!

Hmmmmmmm....what else is there....

Donnie Darko With Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, Noah Wylie, and Patrick Swayze. This flick was another one where I had never heard about till I borrowed a friends DVD of it. A really amazing film. One of my alltime fav's!

Dead Calm with Sam Neil, Nicole Kidman, and Billy Zane (who was awsome in it!)

Frantic with Harrison Ford. This was a great suspense/mystery film that got completely lost in the shuffle.

Ronin with Robert De Niro. This film has sort of a cult following and is best known for it's great car chases, but never really got much mainstream populararity.

Sexy Beast with the super creepy Ben Kingsly. What a wild flick. If you can get past the hard to understand British accents in this one (I suggest subtitles), then this is a definite must see!

Memento with Guy Pearce, Joe Pantoliano, and Carrie Ann Moss. This is another that had a decent cult following, but was overlooked by the mainstream crowed because of it's different (and completely awsome) story line that went from the end to the beginning. It's not often that you see the end of a movie in the first scene. Pretty cool stuff!!!

I'm sure I'll come up with some more later...

[edit on 16-5-2005 by mpeake]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It depends on the genre

Westerns......

Outlaw Josie Wells

The Shootest

Long Riders

Horror.......

Return of the living Dead

Evil Dead Part 2

Fantasy......

What Dreams May Come

Drama/Action.......

King of New York

And any movie with both Hot Tub and Cheerleaders in the title

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's funny how The Cutting Edge does have a cult following. Even I own that on DVD and do very much enjoy watching it.

The Fifth Element is a brilliant movie. Definitely recommend watching using DTS sound on a well-deserved sound system.

Anyone who doesn't like Them! (Oscar nominated special effects) needs a slap!

And I do like Eyes Wide Shut despite the poor critical appeal. It's a very powerful movie, proper Kubrick that I personally believe only true film buffs will like.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
The Fifth Element is a brilliant movie. Definitely recommend watching using DTS sound on a well-deserved sound system.

Ahem.. THX Dolby Digital 7.1 / DTS ES System *flexes home theatre muscles* The mix on the 5th Element Ultimate Edition is great. The cast was excellent. When the president tells the priest he has 30 seconds to explain he takes EXACTLY 30 seconds.

One film you never see was a telivision movie filemd in the UK staring Joe Don Baker called "The Edge of Darkness" it was really really good.

[edit on 5/17/05 by FredT]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join