It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 8 Month Pregnant Woman Assaulted by Police With Taser

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Did the police know she was pregnant when they tazed her? Maybe they thought she was just fat?

If they did know she was pregnant, then they should be called to account. There is no excuse for a law enforcement officer tazing an 8 month old pregnant woman stopped for a traffic offense. Period. I find it hard to believe they could not subdue her via other means.

-koji K.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Officers actually tried to subdue her by first verbal means and then by attempting to physically remove her from the vehicle. Both methods were unsuccessful.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
How can multiple police officers be unsuccesful using physical force removing a pregnant woman from a car? Were they girly-men?

-koji K.

[edit on 10-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Maybe because they had to play with the kid gloves, because she was pregnant?

DE

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This isn't the first pregnant mother to be arrested, subz.

Woman charged with using meth while pregnant arrested again
www.billingsgazette.com.../2005/05/02/build/wyoming/39-meth.inc

Child and pregnant mother arrested: False arrest: Unreasonable detention: Excessive force: Stillbirth: Emotional distress: Settlement
www.findarticles.com...

Pregnant mobile user arrested for talking too loudly
www.theregister.co.uk...

Pregnant Falun Gong Practitioner Wang Guijin Arrested and Separated from Husband and 4 Year Old Child
www.clearharmony.net...

Unit 5: Police Accused Of Firing Taser At Pregnant Bride
www.nbc4.tv...

Police brutality has its place, as you can see above, but not in this case. The fetus' life was not in danger. As was mentioned above, there are two ways to use a taser gun. Taser guns have been tested on pregnant animals and use against pregnant women is authorized.

Zip

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, that's exactly my point.. so they tazed her? I'm not a doctor, but I think some pushing and shoving would be better for the foetus than the massive electrical charge a tazer produces... I mean hell, they could have gouged her eyes or poked her arms with sharp sticks, that would have been less brutal in my opinion because it wouldn't have harmed the foetus (so long as she didn't go into shock or some similar state as a result).

-koji K.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Do you people actually know what a tazer is? Two settings- you can press it against someone, give them a mild shock. Or, you can hit them full on, and drop them like a rock. She got the mild treatment, nothign serious.

DE

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
They couldn't extract her from the car because she had her fingers wrapped tightly around the steering wheel.

Which just goes to show, they used extraordinary restraint, because they could havewhacked her hands a few times with a night stick to loosen them up.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If you want to be angry, be angry at this -- THIS is what happens when you use a stun gun on a pregnant woman in "Drop Her Like a Bad Habit" mode:

Madison ran into the home, and one of the officers followed. That officer then allegedly shot Madison with the Taser gun twice in the abdomen, despite being told by witnesses that she was pregnant.

A prong from the stun gun reportedly became lodged in Madison's stomach and had to be removed by paramedics, Ferguson said.

A third officer allegedly held a gun to Madison's head as she was being arrested.

After being released from custody, Madison sought medical care and doctors told her the unborn child's vital signs were weak and that tests would show whether she would lose the baby, according to a news release from the law firm of Richardson, Stasko, Boyd & Mack.

Zip

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
DeusEx, of course I know what a taser is, I'm aware it has multiple settings. I'll even stipulate that the courts have found use of a taser against pregnant women to be acceptable in certain circumstances (namely during prison riots). But even so, I still question the capability of these officers if they felt it nessecary to use. I mean, it was a traffic stop, hardly the most serious of situations. The Supreme Court itself could exonerate these cops, the point is they haven't done anything to be proud of, and if I knew them personally I would certainly think less of them for what they did.

-koji K.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Maybe its a good thing that most of the posters here ARENT cops.

The man upstairs knows what he's doing

The woman was fat, stubborn, a pregnant b-tch on wheels...fine.

Lets all be anti-abortion but pro endengerment of unborn children..It makes perfect sense.

Nobody says she shouldnt have been hauled into jail if necessary, I didnt.
It should have been handled differently. Period.

[edit on 10-5-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
Police brutality has its place

Do you want to clarify that remark before I completely stop discussing this with you?

How any of you can justify endangering an unborn child for the sake of a traffic ticket is beyond me. Get some perspective for crying out loud. Is that what our World has devolved into? A World where tazering 8 month pregnant women over a speeding ticket is acceptable?

[edit on 10/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Makes me glad I am not a cop.

One thing for sure, 20 won't kill a kid but 32 will! She is obviously a deranged criminal that had to be detained at all costs.

Reminds me of when I flew through Austria after 9/11 and security confiscated my wife's heirloom nail set. When I protested they told me I had to go talk to the prime minister. Why, the world wouldn't be as safe as it is if we weren't protected from these dangerous criminal types!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Other than shock or a night stick just what would you (women) have the police do? Say 'pretty please'

Tazers are not lethal (usually). A good old choke hold could have killed her.

I would have Maced her

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Maybe you dont remember, but there used to be such a thing known as diplomacy and tact...Oh, yes, those were the good old days.....

Why not just crack her over the head with the night stick, perform a ceserean section with whatever sharp object was handy and save the kid.
Then the lousy woman could have been out of society and the world would have been safer for it...right?

Diplomacy and tact work better. We dont need more brutality in this brutal world!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Get real here dg, the woman was doing what she was doing.

speeding in a school zone- endangering children

refusing to follow the law (like it or not)

resisting arrest

She deserves to be jailed a few months. Maybe she will then realize she could have run over and killed someone's child.

I'm all for the cops on this stuff. Speeders in school zones need to be on a chain-gang for a few months.

who explains to a child like this that his legs are cut off and the woman that did it has rights also?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

"Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me," Brooks said,

Then don't struggle with the police. This is silly. If she was that concerned about her unborn child, or the one in the car with her, then she shouldn't have been fighting with a cop. Duh.

Personally, I'm surprised that a cop'd use a taser on an obviously pregnant woman, but then again, who gets all nutty over a speeding ticket, especially when they are pregnant, especially when they have another kid in the car? Was she carrying drugs? Was she kidnapping one of them? The cop obviously couldn't just let her leave the scene.

Also, cops are trained with these things. They're stunning devices. Are they or are they not approved for use on pregnant women? If they are, then he knew he wasn't doing any harm.

This woman's an idiot. She's struggling with a cop, over a ticket.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I never said she shouldnt be punished. All i suggested earlier was that a negotiator could have been called.
The woman is absolutely wacko and i would never have allowed her to get away with anything. She should have the baby in jail as far as i'm concerned- I just dont think there was a need to taser her and endanger the life within her.
By the way, that picture is pretty hard to look at- I dont know what the point of the picture is.
Nobody here wants to see anymore suffering than we have to.
I certainly dont.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Speeding in a school zone and arguing with an officer that's just doing their job is one thing....We all agree on that right?

But using force on a pregnant woman over a minor offence is another thing entirely...

I don't care how much of an idiot some one is or how rash their logic may be at the time - TO ME, it still does not justify shocking a pregnant lady - I don't care if pregnant lab rats have been tested and passed with flying colors.....period...

If they had let the damn woman go with her unsigned ticket, things would have unfolded quite a bit differently, and I think she would have learned her lesson much better rather than being put in a situation where it was her ignorant attempt at protecting her ideologies...

Officers have a way of pushing people over the edge who simply need not be pushed.....Normal, calm, everyday people can be put into a situation where it's them against the world and not a damn thing is going to stop them

We humans are stubborn animals....We don't like being told things we don't want to her - Maybe she was late for work....Is that an excuse? No....But it's a button that can be pushed....

Confrontations are something we should all try to avoid...and maybe the officer should have just said - Okay mam, don't sign it....but you'll be hearing from us soon....I think that would have sunk a bit deeper into her skin than a 50,000 volt shock....

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

- TO ME, it still does not justify shocking a pregnant lady - I don't care if pregnant lab rats have been tested and passed with flying colors.....period...

If its been shown to be safe, and, as it turns out, he probably only used a minor 'zap' mode, not the actual stun mode, then this woman is making a mountain out of a mole hill, just like she did with the ticket in the first place

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join