It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: US Could Soon Be Playing Second Fiddle In Areas of Science and Technology

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think there is a component of technological implementation of ideas, and that is personality.

Without certain kinds of characters/personalities many things, even though they actually made sense, would never have happened. In fact many things that would/could/will have made sense haven't happened because some particular type(s) of personalities didn't get a hold of it and run to the end of the field and cross the 'goal line'.

Most societies are naturally conservative. So this person has to sort of swim against the current of stasis to produce a change. ie. they have to have a strong, willful, persistent personality. I suppose this would almost have to include a strong sense of self. In America the conservative current has never been as strong or at least been evadable, But that is changing.

Im not even sure what those personality characteristics are.
Must need a hopeful viewpoint. Some sense of empowerment. Some hunger or need to see something happen.

Plus you have to connect some type of personality with an idea that can work and the supporting ideas and resources to make it happen.

And this all has to happen and persist in the chaotic environment of some sort of free economy.

A lot has to come together to make techonological advances in human lives.

a different viewpoint: maybe the idea has to grab hold of the/a person and demand to be born. An idea must be so persistent in some realm of the imagination that it becomes a compulsion. How much is the idea? How much is the person?

[edit on 12-5-2005 by slank]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

Most societies are naturally conservative. In America the conservative current has never been as strong or at least been evadable, But that is changing.

[edit on 12-5-2005 by slank]

Slank, You're a philosopher.

I'm afraid I missed the point of some, of your post. What, for example is the point of the above? I got the point that it takes an entrepeneurial type to hustle around and bring new technological things to market and I think I got the point about people like that not being able to work well outside of a free economy. However, if I was supposed to get some other point(s), I missed them.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If you live in some highly constrained society [imagine strict islamists or hyper rigid christians] They treat anything non-traditional as not acceptable or even as heretical. They really seem to like to burn books, outlaw magazines for any number of mostly silly reasons.

If you ever saw the show 'Connections' it is amazing how piecemeal/strangely /chaotically ideas come together to make something happen. Like little wispy threads stretching through time and space, spun together to create magic.

In a society that outlaws freethinking scientific information [books, magazines, internet access] Even for creative intelligent minds there the ability to put together ideas to create something useful won't happen because the other bits and pieces they need aren't available.

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse.

On the other hand a society that is centered on doing things, with little regard/worry about how they get done usually embraces anything that will get the job done. This is, i think, what we really mean by the "pioneer spirit".

With America's retreat back into some religious dogmatic society, they will tend to reject many innovative ideas, especially those that involve free thinking. They are trying to burn/outlaw books all over. Restricting free speech, create an intimidating [religious] police state.
Heck, the Religious right wants to replace evolution [science] with creationism or ID [religious dogma].

PS the personality thing, which i do believe is very significant, is not really my original idea. It stems from a show
They Made America

[edit on 13-5-2005 by slank]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join