It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police nab activists seeking Bush's nuke suitcase (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Dutch police detained six activist who wanted to enter President Bush's hotel on his recent visit to the Netherlands and steal what some call the President's 'Nuclear Football'.

today.reuters.com
Dutch police arrested six activists on Sunday who said they wanted to enter President Bush's Netherlands hotel and look for the suitcase which allows him to activate nuclear weapons.

"We heard Bush carries a nuclear suitcase and can push the red button at any time to set off atomic weapons. We find this extremely shocking," said Leo de Groot, a spokesman for the activist group.

The activists, carrying binoculars and wearing signs that identified them as "citizen's inspectors," mimicking the International Atomic Energy Agency's weapons inspectors, were caught by Dutch soldiers as they approached Bush's hotel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even if these Dutch activists would have nabbed President Bush's nuclear football nothing notably 'horrible' could have occurred if this suitcase landed in the wrong hands. The suitcase does not hold one 'flip switch' to launch a potpourri of nuclear devices. From what I understand, the president has to make several phone calls and 'code checks' before any nuclear action can be taken place

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Imagine if they stole it and found the shocking truth about it's contents... a bologna sandwich, coloring book and crayons.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Or even more shocking the infamous 'Idiots Guide to being President'

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What the hell kind of idiots think it would be a good idea to steal part of the command and control system to one of the largest world destroying arsenals in history? How utterly irresponsible!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Anyone watch 24 on tv...
that president had airforce one shot down, the "football" stolen, and well it has the location of every nuclear warhead we have in it. So, they then proceeded to steal a warhead, and it is now, launched and traveling to it's unknown destination!! tune in next week to find out if your city was the one lucky enough to be chosen.

I don't know where the truth ends and the fiction begins, but well, wonder if these theifs watch this show. I didn't know that the president had a nuclear football that he carried everywhere before the I watched this....and well, read this here.

still hoping it lands in DC.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I read this article this morning, so my memory is a little fuzzy, heh, but I remember it said something like "they were surprised to learn" about the football. Surprised? They MUST have seen 24... WHO DOESN'T KNOW about the nuclear briefcase?

This is all just weird publicity strangeness... They couldn't even get close to the hotel. Buncha weirdos, man.

Zip

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What kind of activist would attempt to steal something so valuable that they would automatically be killed on sight? Just seems a little (well a lot) idiotic when you want to promote peace and unity by stealing a...Nuclear Device?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i read an article on this in people magazine. the football is carried by a military member assigned to work w/the president. it is secured to his arm and wrist with a leather tether.

it is with him at all times.

the current football carrier can't comment on his experiences but the past ones can and several of them were interviewed for the article.

had a graphic of what the internal workings of the football looked like. i believe it weighed something like 40lbs or so.............

very interesting article.

angie

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The concept of the Football came about in the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis. President John F. Kennedy was concerned that some Soviet commander in Cuba might launch their missiles without authorization from Moscow. After the crisis, Kennedy ordered a review of the U.S. Nuclear Command and Control system. The result was the highly classified National Security Action Memorandum that created "the Football."On April 24, 1999, President Bill Clinton left NATO's 50th anniversary summit, being held at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, D.C.. The Emergency War Officer and the football were left behind. The aide walked the half-mile back to the White House alone. The integrity of the football and the state of the officer were intact

Nuclear Football

Sanc'.

top topics

join