It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Bigfoots are out there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Just wondering if any body knew how many Bigfoots it would take to keep
their species alive over generations?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is a pretty good read. check it out.

How many bigfoots are there?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Minimum breeding population size? lol, those were the words i was looking for earlier.

Thanks for the link scar

Interesting read. From what i could gather there could be between 300
to 6000 Bigfoots roaming around out there in the usa!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Important factors to consider when factoring a minimum breeding population (that were not covered in the above link):

1. lifespan of the creature in question
2. years of breeding capacity

A longer lifespan usually equals a longer period of time when a creature is capable of breeding. This actually makes the population size needed to maintain a species somewhat smaller than in animals with shorter life spans and less time to breed. It especially important in small groups covering large areas where large amounts of time may pass before adults within breeding age can mate with a genetically suitable partner.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
there could be a bunch of them hiding from us or breeding with us.
that could be one screwed up baby

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Just wondering if Big Foot is like a rural yetti? Is it an adaptation, evolution, or just plain myth? Someone give me a link, I'm on the wrong thread...

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr No One
Important factors to consider when factoring a minimum breeding population (that were not covered in the above link):

1. lifespan of the creature in question
2. years of breeding capacity

A longer lifespan usually equals a longer period of time when a creature is capable of breeding. This actually makes the population size needed to maintain a species somewhat smaller than in animals with shorter life spans and less time to breed. It especially important in small groups covering large areas where large amounts of time may pass before adults within breeding age can mate with a genetically suitable partner.

Thanks for pointing that out Mr No One, i would go with a longer life span
and less of a population. If there were say around 6000 bigfoot out there wouldn't the sighting's be far greater? But then again maybe not.

When the media report on bigfoot it's always referred to as singular, and to a lamebrainlike myself in the past, i thought of bigfoot as this one big wondering hairy man, but that's impossible unless bigfoot is imortal, unlikely, but not out of the question.

Wasn't there a case were some guy claimed to have been taken in by a bigfoot family, although im not sure if anyone has ever claimed to have mated with bigfoot, can't say i recall ever hearing anything like that.

Wendellion, i wouldn't say bigfoot is a myth, from what i heard they have samples of bigfoot hair which match nothing else known to science.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it "lamebrain" - the reports are so similar and the vast majority are only a single creature sighting it could almost make sense that there was one creature being seen. Especially if it is non-territorial and simply leaves an area where it has been intruded upon.

From all the sightings, I would have to assume that the bigfoot is more of a solitary creature as opposed to the herd or pack mentality of most primates.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Take into account how BIG the actual habitat area could be would also be a good assistant in the population theory.

Check out some facts I posted here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
In reading the the first link, the writer casually mentions "Wolverines." Aside from the X-men dude, I've never heard of wolverines. Does anyone have any info about them, and are there as many wolverine sightings as say, Bigfoot ones?

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
In reading the the first link, the writer casually mentions "Wolverines." Aside from the X-men dude, I've never heard of wolverines. Does anyone have any info about them, and are there as many wolverine sightings as say, Bigfoot ones?

The X-men dude was named for a real ferral animal native to North America and Europe. While rare, they are not nearly as hard to find as a bigfoot.
National Geographic
bc adventures

[edit on 11-5-2005 by Mr No One]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I'll admit I'm one of the non-believers. I grew up in B.C. and lived in the Squamish area near Mt. Whistler for a couple years.

This was supposedly Bigfoot central. And the local paper reported several sightings that I remember. My dad even drove us out to a house outside of town that had reported a sighting and we spent the better part of an afternoon looking for tracks, hair on bushed and any sign of Bigfoot poop.

We found nothing, even though the field near the tree line had very soft soil and even me as a kid was leaving clear tracks with my rubber boots. The lady at the house had pointed out this area as being the location she had seen it walk.

I would be curious if there are any Native American stories or legends that talk about this large beast. Or if the stories and sightings only began after the Europeans showed up. Does anyone know of the first North American sightings.

I just feel that with all the hunters, loggers, tree planters, hikers and people that live in remote areas, we should at least have more evidence than a grainy bit of video and a few bits of hair. (anyone can make a big foot print in the mud and make a cast of it).

Hunt one down and kill it. Drag it back to the lab and show it on CNN. Open all your data up for peer review and publish it for all the world to see.

Until then, the population count stands at zero. You can't count something unless you have a way to percieve it in some way.

I don't want this to deter anyone from continuing to search for evidence, because you never know until every avenue is explored.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Thanks zedd for the area stats. Thermal imaging was something i was thinking about after see a documentary on tv the other night. They used thermal imagining from the air to track a group of chimpanzees and i thought why couldn't they use something like that to try and locate bigfoot. But given the vast area to cover it's clearly not feasible.

Unless you happened to have a quick response team that were able to respond to sightings immediately to cover the surrounding area where the sighting took place. Having some estimates [well guesstimates] on its size and weight they might be able to determine how far it could travel in the time between the sighting and their response narrowing the search area.

Mr No One thanks maybe im not so lamebrained after all.lol.

anxietydisorder, if i were in your position i would have gone looking to and would have been disappointed not to have found atleast a track. I have seen how trackers can pick up on the smallest details, so surely bigfoot would have left some evidence of its presence. Maybe the sighting was something else, did you see any other tracks around?

There is a thread around here somewhere that covers Native American sightings unfortunately im not on my own computer right now as i have some links to those story's on other sites.

For me the evidence are the story's from around the world. Had bigfoot been confined to one part of the world then maybe i would be more skeptical.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   

How many bigfoots are there?

1.) i think it is bigfeet, or at least it should be
2.) Zip, zero, zilch. If 300 to 6000 are out there, we would have hard proof of their existance.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Shouldn't it be "Bigfeets"???? How many 'Bigfeets" is thre are out there???

Actually, I believe the actual number out there is between zero and possibly... zero.

However, I would absolutely love to be wrong.

Funny, but I find as I get older I believe in less unbelievable things as I used to, up to and including "bigfeets".

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Maybe its to controversial a subject for anyone to admit the existence of a bigfoot [bigfeet]. As with ufo's such a discovery might intrude on other people's beliefs. The fact that it's illegal to hunt [possibly search] for bigfoot in some places may be a good indication that someone somewhere knows of its existence. Just like UFO's.

It might also be possible that all the sightings are hoaxes [except for the patterson video] maybe there was once a bigfoot up until recently but it was hunted down and killed by some determined hunter. Maybe because of the outrage they knew would pursue they decided to keep it quite and leave it as a mystery.

To say it doesn't exist, lol come on, the world was supposedly flat once and black holes were science fiction.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode

anxietydisorder, if i were in your position i would have gone looking to and would have been disappointed not to have found atleast a track. I have seen how trackers can pick up on the smallest details, so surely bigfoot would have left some evidence of its presence. Maybe the sighting was something else, did you see any other tracks around?

I come from a large family and all us kids grew up in the woods of B.C.
Even the younger kids could identify any of the tracks of the local animals. And we knew the droppings of everything in the woods, from owls to bears. Unless Bigfoot turds look like bear or human, I've never seen any strange steamers that I couldn't identify. Nobody saw anything unusual that day.

I notice also that bear droppings change as the seasons change, depending on the diet the animal has available. This should also be true for Bigfoot.
Maybe they do the cat thing and bury it.

Dad liked to take us up to Okanagan Lake to camp and fish sometimes. But I know he was realy looking for Ogopogo.

www.tourcanada.com...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I've never seen any strange steamers that I couldn't identify. Nobody saw anything unusual that day.

Oh well you never know, one day you might find it.

Living in the uk we only have a few types, the cow pat and rabbit droppings
are the most common ones.

top topics

join