It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Threat to American Leadership in Space

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

China has big plans for it's space program and is not going to be left behind.

I for one, wish them all the luck in the world.

For the ONLY thing that will truly kick our space program into overdrive again, is competition for top dog...

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I for one, wish them all the luck in the world.

For the ONLY thing that will truly kick our space program into overdrive again, is competition for top dog...

Exactly!

There is no reason for the US to be making progress unless it feels threatened or there is a profit to be made. Right now, nothing is profitable up in space, so a challange from another country is what we need.

Dear China,

Please please please PLEASE try to compete with the US. It will be better for both of us

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If an inspired Humanity survives it will almost certainly reach out into space.
If a desperate Humanity survives it will also reach out to space.

Outer Space is our actual home. We tend to be blinded by the trees from seeing the forest.

I suspect the paradigm shift to space colonization will happen only after catastrophic population expansion and then collapse and other cataclysms.

More people are motivated to reach out to something new when where they are living simply becomes too unbearable.

In candyland dreams we will be good stewards of our planet AND do inspired things like space exploration and colonization. *waking up* Fat Chance.

We will fight to get into space only after we have turned this planet into total crap.

Face it. We a stupid species.

China has to be commended for its governments direct confrontation of evolution's instinctual maximum reproduction rate. That's not to say it hasn't had a terrible experience with it's own hubris. They are a single flickering light of a higher consciouness on a planet blanketed with blind ignorance.

Maybe China will go into space as a force of intelligent directed will instead of a last ditch desperate action. But honestly, looking at history, the odds are stacked against them.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Slank
Face it. We a stupid species.

I Dissagree,

Slank
China has to be commended for its governments direct confrontation of evolution's instinctual maximum reproduction rate.

Comended??? China is overpopularing the world.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

AMM
There is no reason for the US to be making progress unless it feels threatened or there is a profit to be made. Right now, nothing is profitable up in space, so a challange from another country is what we need.

Theres always reason to make progress. We dont need to be threatened to make prograss, were making progress all the time, technology keeps getting better in ever aspect, and its not because America feels threatened by China.
Satellites are profitable, communication ones, tv, radio, there a whole lot of money to be made in space.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Murcielago,

Are you aware that China [I believe alone among nations] has a quite strict one child per couple policy?

India, Africa, and the US are quite different stories.

China has shown a steely self discipline in this regard that no other nation has.
They have done some rather stupid things during Communist Party history there, but this policy is not one of those.

Their history both recent and distant of famine has taught them the shortfalls of uncontrolled population growth.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Suppose I'm super naive..but what does China have on space that's a threat?

Dallas

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
China has no care to go into space because they fear the Earth may one day get too messed up; they are going into space because whoever controls space controls the world to a degree. And the U.S. has the leadership in that. The Chinese want to prevent that.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You know when siblings fight, parents usually do one of two things, they seperate the two till all is calm and rational, or make them kiss and make up on the spot. Why can't all the countries in the world get rid of their nukes and leave eachother the hell alone. Mind their own business, stay away from one another? Make it easy, tell everyone that wants to visit any country other than their own they need to check out the way things are done in that country, oh and tell them that after they leave the airport...they are own their own.

Trade and barter with countries but live and let live without conflict.
We should keep in mind that every country should do what it can to help countries in need of food ect, when something happens like the tsumani, otherwise keep your nose outta the business bucket of foreign affairs. Seems like a plan to me

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Slank - Sure there are incentives to not having more then one child, but you still can. I look at facts, and the fact is China has 1.2 billion people, the US has 300 million, the US population is only rising because of illegals, if we had no illegal aliens crossing our borders then we would stay even (no more, no less).

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Slank - Sure there are incentives to not having more then one child, but you still can. I look at facts, and the fact is China has 1.2 billion people, the US has 300 million, the US population is only rising because of illegals, if we had no illegal aliens crossing our borders then we would stay even (no more, no less).

Really? I read somewhere(cannot remember prolly a local paper) that if it wasn't for immigration both legal and illigal our populations(both Canada and the USA) would be falling, abeit slowly at 1.8-1.9 children per family. Right now it's around 2.1-2.2 right at the level needed for a slow growing population.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join