It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japans ww2 jets and other intresting planes..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Speaking of secret Japanese planes, did you know they manufactured a licensed version of the Douglas DC-3?

Don't you confuse it with Soviet-built Li-2?

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russky

Speaking of secret Japanese planes, did you know they manufactured a licensed version of the Douglas DC-3?

Don't you confuse it with Soviet-built Li-2?

Nothing special or confusing or even intresting about this.. The plane was "Naval Type 0 Transport, Aircraft Model 11"
allso know as "L2D"

www.wwiitech.net...

As this is not a jet..

[Edited on 6-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I am sorry that you can only get a hard on for jets.

DAWN PATROL

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I am sorry that you can only get a hard on for jets.

DAWN PATROL

Ok.. we can allso talk about other than jet planes..

www.wwiitech.net...

"In the spring of 1945, a most unpleasant surprise happened to the Americans attacking Japan�s home islands. A new enemy fighter, previously unknown, was being encountered by their Army and Navy flyers. Superior in nearly every way to the Grumman Hellcat and equal in most respects to the P-51 Mustang, the new Japanese warbird�s existence was almost as unsettling as the discovery of the Mitsubishi Zero had been about four years previously. But the �new� fighter, the Kawasaki Ki-100, was actually not a new aircraft at all, but an improvisation forced upon the Japanese by circumstances beyond their control. For all that, it was a sheer stroke of genius, and despite its relative obscurity today, it deserves a place among the great fighter aircraft of the Second World War."

I think that this Ki-100 is one fine piece of art.. resembles FW-190 in my eyes.. but of couse it is a different plane..

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:30 AM
link   
The Ki-100 is one of my favorite warbirds. As soon as I catch up on other modeling projects I will be making a 3d computer model of it to go with my hellcat and zero models. I also am especially fond of the "Shinden" although it did not see combat. What was really cool was the Japanese submarines which carried a "Rufus" seaplane in an onboard enclosure.

DEATH STALKS THE HUNTED

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
groingrinder..
The Shinden allthough quite impressive desing.. well.. i think or i have feeling that it has no "balls"

www.wwiitech.net...

This however gots what it takes:

"It compared quite favorably with its best antagonists; a captured example, undergoing tests at Middletown Air Depot in Pennsylvania after the war, proved faster, swifter-climbing, and more maneuverable than either the P-51D Mustang or the P-47D Thunderbolt."

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uninen
groingrinder..
The Shinden allthough quite impressive desing.. well.. i think or i have feeling that it has no "balls"

www.wwiitech.net...

This however gots what it takes:

"It compared quite favorably with its best antagonists; a captured example, undergoing tests at Middletown Air Depot in Pennsylvania after the war, proved faster, swifter-climbing, and more maneuverable than either the P-51D Mustang or the P-47D Thunderbolt."

There were two very different design philosophies at work in the way US planes were designed vs. the way that Japanese planes were designed. Japanese designers did away with "frivolous" features such as self sealing fuel tanks and pilot protecting armor. They also mastered the art of making their wing and fuselage skins paper thin to conserve weight. US planes on the other hand had lots of armor for the pilot's protection and fuselage and wing skins that were substantially thicker. I am not going to argue that one way was better than the other though as both ways produced some fine fighter planes. If Japan had the materials and time I am sure they would have produced aircraft that would make your jaw drop even to this day. As a child I lived on Okinawa in the mid sixties and was always impressed by the ingenuity,imagination,stamina, and work ethic of the Japanese people. If anyone has never read a Japanese comic book, then get some because they are a real treat.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As a side note according to Flight Journal magazine the Texas Airplane Factory is making a Ki-43 Oscar from scratch using blueprints. It seems like a worthwhile and very interesting project.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hayates actually had self sealing fuel tanks and good armor..

"But, best of all, the new fighter was to have armor protection for its pilot and self-sealing fuel tanks from the outset."

Quote from: www.wwiitech.net...

And what comes to the Oscar.. it was like Zero very AGILE.. but unlike Zero the Oscar had crappy arment.. No CANNONS.. heaviest gun was 12,7mm only two Ki-43-IIIb prototypes were armed with 2x20mm CANNON.. also the bomb load (for a fighter bomber..) was bad.. and speed was also lacking.. but looks fine and it did have much success.. despite the short commings..

www.wwiitech.net...

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   

members.tripod.com...

Japanese special weapon "Fu-Go" balloon bomb.. these bombed US..

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Were the japanese jet developed with tech aid from Nazi Germany? I read some were that they exchanged material by the way of Giant Subs

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The Ki-100 is a fine looking Aircraft and from that side view it does look FW190.
Excange of Tech do you think?

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogueTrooper
Were the japanese jet developed with tech aid from Nazi Germany? I read some were that they exchanged material by the way of Giant Subs

"By a stroke of luck, Engineer Eichi Iwaya of the Navy had obtained detailed photographs of the BMW 003 axial-flow turbojets used in the Me 262, and from those photos the Japanese were able to create a similar engine, designated Ne-20, with a theoretical power output of 1,047 pounds of static thrust. Everyone concerned felt the Ne-20 was perfect for the Kikka, and so the project�s pace was speeded up during the summer of 1945."

They did indeed trade together (Germany and Japan..) and they used subs to carry the goods.. but the jet had nothing to do with german jets.. only that its engine was reverse-engineered from a photo of a BMW jet engine..

www.wwiitech.net...

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogueTrooper
The Ki-100 is a fine looking Aircraft and from that side view it does look FW190.
Excange of Tech do you think?

Ki-100 is re-engined ki-61 ("Tony") so no tech exchange there.. it also does resemble some soviet planes maybe La-5..

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Well they did a good job reverse engeneering all that from a few engine photos .... they could have almost come from the same factory

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by RogueTrooper]

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Kikka and Me-262 are two very different aircraft.. and if you look those pics you posted more closely you should see that..

Japanese Me-163 copy / variant:

www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org...

This however is a copy..

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I dont consider myself and expert mate, thats why i asked you if the planes were developed using tech or plans that were given to them by the Nazis.

I wasnt saying i was an expert, i was just looking to broaden my knowlage of the subject, you seemed to know what you were talking about that is why i asked my initial question.

And to a laymans eyes the 2 jets look almost the same.
You should really try not to look down on some one who dosnt have the level of knowlage about a subject as yourself, i was looking to be educated not patronised.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Sorry.. i wasnt trying to be mean.. but it seems i was.. at least you think that i was.. wasnt my intention.. Sorry again..

But you are right i do know very much about planes.. as i have some 500+ magasines and books about them.. and i am in Reserve of FDF AA-Corps.. it is my bussines to know these things..

But these Japanese planes are thing i dont know much about.. that is why i started this topic..
So we are learning together..

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uninen
Sorry.. i wasnt trying to be mean.. but it seems i was.. at least you think that i was.. wasnt my intention.. Sorry again..

But you are right i do know very much about planes.. as i have some 500+ magasines and books about them.. and i am in Reserve of FDF AA-Corps.. it is my bussines to know these things..

But these Japanese planes are thing i dont know much about.. that is why i started this topic..
So we are learning together..

Thats ok, appology accepted ..... Friends?

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yeah.. friends..

"This large-caliber cannon, designated the Ho-301, was quite light in weight for its caliber, but its muzzle velocity was very low, rendering it effective only at close range. It carried only 10 rounds per gun, and the ammunition was unusual as no cartridge case was used. Rather, the propelling charge was contained in a cavity in the projectile�s rear, and 12 exhaust ports in the base plate permitted the expanding gases to escape and drive the projectile to the target. A copper band on the projectile acted as a gas seal, and the propellant was totally consumed before leaving the barrel. Unlike large-caliber German cannons which were carried in gondolas under the wings of their Bf-109 and Fw-190 fighters, this 40mm gun was installed within the Shoki�s wing, the muzzle protruding ahead of the wing leading edge. Unfortunately, its effective range was so short-just 150 yards-that some -IIcs were fitted with a pair of 37mm cannon instead."

Japanese HO-301 40mm cannon.. very intresting.. i would like to have more info and photos of this.. when i tried the google there was nothing good..
Ammunition of this is according the texts quite similar to Russian GP-25/30 Rifle grenade launhers VOG-25 rounds..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join