It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New Body Armor Undergoing Tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Fox News is reporting that a new, lightweight body armor is being tested by Oklahoma State University's ROTC unit. The suit is made from a material called "Dyneema" which is known to be extremely strong, lightweight, and flexible.

www.foxnews.com
STILLWATER, Okla. — The U.S. military is testing new body armor that would protect soldiers without compromising mobility.

ROTC students at Oklahoma State University have been testing body armor that is 15 times stronger than steel. Each suit, made of a superstrong polyethylene fiber fabric called Dyneema and weighing only 10 pounds, is designed to protect against roadside bombs and improvised explosive devices that have been used against soldiers in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If this armor proves to be effective, it would surely be a welcome addition to a soldier's gear. Unfortunately, few details are available on the Foxnews site. A Google search turned up the links copied below. Interestingly, DSM, the inventer of Dyneema, is originally a Dutch company.

Related News Links:
www.dsm.com
www.answers.com
www.albamarineltd.co.uk

[edit on 5/9/2005 by ChemicalLaser]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I can't help but be a little skeptical of this especially when it comes to high explosives and massive shrapnel, but I guess anything is worth a shot.

www2.okstate.edu...

www.nationaldefensemagazine.org...

www.dsm.com...

www.dsm.com...

matrix.dumpshock.com...

www.dsm.com...

biz.yahoo.com...

[edit on 05/5/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Does no one think this technology is newsworthy? Do those who constantly remind us of the loss of life in the war on terror have no interest in advancements in body armor? That's very interesting, indeed.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Does no one think this technology is newsworthy? Do those who constantly remind us of the loss of life in the war on terror have no interest in advancements in body armor? That's very interesting, indeed.

Bah it's no Force Warrior armor, that suit will kill more people then it'll protect if it is deployed to front line soldiers. It looks heavy, bulky and not that pleasant to be in. It's going to take alot more then this to get a large technicle edge in Urban zones.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Looks like a great idea, but apparently a private's parts aren't worth protecting?

If it was me, I'd feel a lot happier about getting shot at if my goodies were guarded. I guess it might be a psych advantage over the enemies though, they'll either fall down laughing or run away before they get raped.

new topics

top topics

join