It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions regarding decommissioned subs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction here.

What process does the US (or Russia/UK for that matter) use to sell off subs that have been withdrawn from service? I have heard that they get turned into razor blades, but that was just in a novel from memory.

I am looking for a rough price, an outline of what condition they are in and who they are available to. Hoping someone can tell me where to look on the net to find both the policy on this (particularly US) and the process. Have found a couple of news links but mostly they seem to be more about the fuel than the subs.

Did find this, but not quite what I was after.

Hypothetically speaking, could I buy one or two?

Thanks in advance.

[edit on 9-5-2005 by whita]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
You will probably be ecstatic to find this.

Whiskey Class Submarine for Sale.

Please oh please oh please take me with you.

EDIT: Searching google, it looks like there are more than a couple submarines for sale. One "Whiskey Class" sold for US498,000.

Zip

[edit on 10-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whita
What process does the US (or Russia/UK for that matter) use to sell off subs that have been withdrawn from service? I have heard that they get turned into razor blades, but that was just in a novel from memory.

Many Russian subs have titanium hulls. I never saw a razor blade made of titanium

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Zipdot that is awesome! You were right I am ecstatic to see that. At that price I could grab two! In fact my idea needs two of them.

As to coming along you might hesitate when you find out the destination, lol. It aint around here, as they say. The reason I am looking for this info is that it is an integral part of a book I am working on. You just completed a significant peice of the puzzle for me. Cheers. I was drawing a blank on what to search for. Most of my searches had turned up too many pages or not quite what I was after. You just made my day.

Aelita, yeah that was something I read in a book once. I remembered where, its something Tom Clancy says in his Jack Ryan books.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I've seen old Soviet subs on eBay from time to time. They are made so they can't be submerged before they're sold though.

top topics

join