It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebay Down - Update from Ebay Power Outage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
What the heck, Ebay is down, at least the US one.....more to come.

Well as an electrical engineer I find it hard to believe that they did not have a sufficient UPS and a backup generator onsite, maybe they need to hire me.

eBay experienced a power outage at a principal hosting facility in the Bay Area. Some eBay functions and listings are now available, and we are working to fully restore the rest of the site. We will keep you updated on progress, and we appreciate your patience.

LINK to EBay announcements

***Site Temporarily Unavailable****

The eBay site is unavailable. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, and we appreciate your patience.

Regards,

eBay

LInk to Ebay

[edit on 9-5-2005 by edsinger]

[edit on 10-5-2005 by edsinger]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's not down for me. It's kind of slow, but I can navigate through the site.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Yeah but anyone who has bids and is bidding can not.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I know paypal went down for awhile not too long ago and it was because their programmers had messed up something. I can view the auctions and everything, but it seems like their servers might be overloaded or something.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I can search for stuff, but when I click on something to view I just get an error page. It's pretty annoying.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Argh I had some items up for auction that were going off when it went down too. *(%%^(&($&%&* one of them ended with like 10 bids, so I wonder how many bids got shut out because of this.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm sure eBay will compensate sellers or cancel auctions, etc. If they don't offer it, you may have to ask them though.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I'm sure eBay will compensate sellers or cancel auctions, etc. If they don't offer it, you may have to ask them though.

Just a thought, maybe if the site goes down the clock on the auctions stops, when the site comes back up it starts where it left off.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
From eBay's general announcements page:

Date: 05/09/05 Time: 08:18:12 PM PDT

We are aware the site is temporarily unavailable. We're aware of this issue and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience,
eBay
Message Address: www2.ebay.com:80...-05-09182021

www2.ebay.com...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
08:18:12 PM PDT? They made that announcement a few moments ago, but as of right now my clock is showing 11:55 eastern. Thats weird. It should only be 7:55 there.

[edit on 9-5-2005 by twitchy]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Looks as if San Jose was hit with some very sever weather.

Maybe its related.

NOTE TO USERS

Outage Policy

Our highest priority is your trading success. However, eBay occasionally experiences outages during which bidders cannot place bids or cannot effectively locate items via our Title Search function. When these outages occur, we offer this Outage Policy to compensate for your inconvenience.

Title search outage of one or more hours

In the event of a title search outage of one or more hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for credit:

* Any listing scheduled to end during the outage
* Any listing scheduled to end in the hour after the end of the outage

Unlike our policy for hard outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended.

Hard outage of more than one but less than two hours

In the event of a hard outage of more than one but less than two hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for credit:

Additionally, credit will be issued for the 10-cent Promotional Fee on any 10-day listing that is running during the outage (regardless of the time it's scheduled to end). This includes either of the following features:

* View Item
* Bidding

Unlike our policy for hard outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended.

Hard outage of two hours or more

In the event of a hard outage of two hours or more, eBay automatically extends listings for 24 hours. eBay also automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for extension and credit:

Additionally, credit will be issued for the 10-cent Promotional Fee on any 10-day listing that is running during the outage (regardless of the time it's scheduled to end). This includes either one or all of the following features:

* View Item
* Bidding

What do we consider to be a hard outage?

A hard outage occurs when no one can bid or buy (specifically View Item pages are inaccessible and/or bidding functionality is not available) as a result of unscheduled system downtime. At our discretion, eBay may consider two outages that occur very closely to one another to be one hard outage when extending listings.

Listings that end prior to an outage will not be extended.

What do we consider to be a title search outage?

A title search outage occurs when items are not accessible by using Title Search as a result of unscheduled system downtime.

During an outage

Updates will be posted on the Announcements Board during an outage. Please check there for details about the outage and possible listing extensions.

When listings are extended

Following a hard outage of two or more hours, eBay will extend the end times for all eligible listings by 24 hours. This prevents bidding on these listings while the end times are being reset. After the listing end times have been reset, eBay updates search and listing indexes. Until these index updates are completed, these listings will be unavailable via search or listings. This re-indexing can take a few hours.

To end your listing

eBay offers the Outage Policy as a courtesy. However, you may be satisfied with the bidding activity before the extended listing end time. If you are, you may end your listing at any time by visiting our Ending My Auction page.

If you choose, you may cancel your auction after visiting our Canceling Bids Placed in Your Auction page.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Crisis over EBay is back

Well not all the way back...lost bids etc.

Well maybe not.....

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Looks like their style sheets are still messed up. If you have the Web Developer Tool for Firefox (which is free), you can disable eBay's style sheets on your browser and view everything clearly.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Seems a confirmation of the power outage, no backup UPS huh?

hmmmm

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Dear all,

What can I say but "Dry your eyes".

This is not the end of the world nor a conspiracy so lets move on.

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
as long as I get my stuff...there will be no problems

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I can not believe it, this morning the auction was extended 24 hours and I had 3 minutes to go and was wining at $5, now its $12. I lost it.

Damn, just 3 dang minutes.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There's an art to bidding on eBay. Before you bid, know how much you are willing to pay for the item. Say, you don't want to pay more than $20 for a book. Well, when there is about 8 seconds left (sometimes you may have to do it with less time left), bid the highest amount you are willing to pay. You will get it that way and if you don't, it sold for more than you were willing to pay anyway.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Yeah I am learning, slowly. Just ticked me that I had an item for $5 and when they extended it went for $13

top topics

join