It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hacked!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Tempest Fugit

Originally posted by outsider
Mission critical systems have never been connected to public networks & never will be.

Quite so, as anyone who has ever had to deal with TEMPEST systems or SCIFs can tell you.

On second thought, I suppose they can't really tell you, so nevermind.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
No, this has nothing to do with terrorism. This is actually simply a teenage boy who found hacking very exciting.

And yes, mission critical systems can be reached trough public connection points, either you like it or not.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Now federal officials and computer security investigators have acknowledged that the Cisco break-in last year was only part of a more extensive operation - involving a single intruder or a small band, apparently based in Europe - in which thousands of computer systems were similarly penetrated.

it's being reported (again ), that they're still hunting the person....not that there was another "attack"...

[edit on 10-5-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

(posted by Outsider)
Mission critical systems have never been connected to public networks & never will be.

Outsider--

Maybe I'm mistaken but this is what I understand to be the case and it does not, or seems not to, agree with what you say:

1) the term (adjective) is "critical-mission", and critical-mission computers are those that must be permanently switched on and must never be allowed to break down, since otherwise a chaotic situation will ensue, and

2) these computers may or may not be related to tasks involving national security, so in the latter case they can be linked to the Internet, like computers that a bank uses to furnish online services for its customers.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I found this kind of funny, you can hire the most educated programmers in the world to create software for places like NASA, and yet there is ALWAYS people out there better who can work thier way through it.

Maybe if they catch him they can offer him a job.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
well as much as I would like to dismiss this, the facts say a lot. All the gov. sites for seismographs around the world have been shutting down. It has had quite a few puzzled to say the least. Also, I am not sure if anyone figured it out yet, but when you search for Stakkato you get mostly German websites. White Sands, New Mexico is home to a German air force base. I found that kind of interesting.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPeteRight, because we're going to do away with a several billion dollar industry because of something that was done by a European. Well if so you have to believe either the US controls the entirety of the world, which I think the French at least have something to say...

Or the US owns the internet. Even most West Virginian's realize that's not true.

Ya got me all wrong... I mean here in America - like the FCC is trying to do. I'm not talking about some kind of Internet government.

Broadband providers and Internet phone services must comply with wiretapping requirements designed for the traditional phone network, the Federal Communications Commission said in a preliminary decision Wednesday.

The 5-0 vote by the FCC is a major step toward regulations designed to help police and spy agencies eavesdrop on all forms of high-speed Internet access, including cable modems, wireless, satellite and broadband over power lines.

Zip

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This CNN-Money report states it did, in fact, affect the military and NASA as well as research labarotories.

money.cnn.com...

EDIT: Okay, rephrase - "investigators believe".

[edit on 5-10-2005 by Valhall]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete

Don't verify her redundant sycophantic rantings.

Right, because we're going to do away with a several billion dollar industry because of something that was done by a European. Well if so you have to believe either the US controls the entirety of the world, which I think the French at least have something to say...

Or the US owns the internet. Even most West Virginian's realize that's not true.

I sat and watched my friend crack several thousand "numbers" from a major website. It's a lot easier than most people know. And as Majic said.....it's a 16 year old friggin' kid.

It isn't that they will "do away" with the internet, however it is VERY possible that it will be regulated in a way to keep certain information from reaching us (U.S.). One of the thorn's in the side of the Bush administration is the information people can freely get on the internet. While many dismiss the information provided by "bloggers", it has inspired many people to go and do research on their own to find out the truth and that is a threat to them. I believe the internet will always be here, but someday you may find your favorite website not being allowed through your provider...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
you guys know the US military use more than one network with various levels of security i.e. the centric system and the sipper system each requiring a various clearance level... do we know which one he has hacked? idoubt it is either of the 2 listed above as they are the most secure around and constanly updated and monitored so maybe he hacked a lower level one?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Pistol Pete,

Dont blame me for acting like a trained dog ready to kill...Its the way of the world now... Nothing but lies...
How do you separate the lies from the truth?

Besides when i saw ED SINGERS HUGE HEADLINES LAST NIGHT I THOUGHT IT WAS A CURRENT NEWS STORY...
That kid can be scary

So its teenagers...Yawnnnnn...what else is new?

ps..Dont be too sure about always having the priviledge of the Internet, ok?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Apparently there have been arrests in this case:

Yahoo

[edit on 05/5/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This is interesting, so much more than a terrorist threat, though, can one assume that CNN will broadcast information that Bin Laden was reponsible for this with his failing kidney in a cave in the middle of nowhere?

Deep

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Unless Bin Laden is currently residing in Sweden, this has nothing to do with him.

seekerof

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
NVM...

[edit on 10-5-2005 by iksmodnad]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The Mission Critic

Originally posted by StarLight
And yes, mission critical systems can be reached trough public connection points, either you like it or not.

I guess it depends on the mission.

If the mission is keeping data secure, then nothing associated with the secure network goes anywhere near the Internet. It is fanatically and diligently quarantined from any sort of data exchange with the outside world, and that includes microscopic control of all portable media that might be carried in or out. People are thoroughly searched, even Sandy Berger.

If the mission involves a requirement for Internet access, then it damn well better not be a system containing classified information or someone is going to fry big time.

Internet-connected systems containing mission-critical but non-classified information are, if administered by competent professionals, carefully protected from unauthorized access through the use of DMZs, proxies, local directors, network address translators, dedicated firewalls and 24x7 testing, logging and monitoring systems.

They are also isolated enough that should they be compromised, the amount of damage that can be done using them is minimized.

At least, that's the way I used to set things up back in the day.

Maybe people are sloppier these days.

Direct sendmail connection? Dream on!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join