It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of Deadly Superbugs should 'Raise Red Flags' Everywhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

A pair of new studies confirms recent fears that bacteria are growing increasingly resistant to drugs and that you can be infected anywhere.

The number of cases of "superbugs," as researchers call them, has been increasingly steadily in recent years, the reports conclude.

The best medicine? Wash your hands a lot.

these bacteria are getting more resistant to drugs!?!?!?

"wash your hands a lot"

will this work???

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
you have a point. are these superbugs also imune to soap? mabe we need to scauld ourselves to get rid of them, or could they also be immune to heat as well?

my deep down suspision is that these "super bugs" have had some help in forming.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
they are getting more drug resistant and deadly superbugs because we don't finish taking our antivirus and antibiotic perscriptions. When you stop taking them after you feel better but still have 8 more days to go you help to create the superbug. The medicine doesn't kill them and they adapt to make stronger forms of viruses. In addition, doctors and scientist plead with us not to us anitviral soaps as they help to create these untreatable super bugs.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
yep, washing your hands will help bunches but the airborne varieties are gonna get a lot of folks

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The best remedy for bugs is not to be so clean, let your body acquire its dose of bugs so the immune system can adapt and protect you. You wont beat bugs any other way I'm afraid. If there is a cure it will come from a natural source as everything has its counterpart in Nature.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
my deep down suspision is that these "super bugs" have had some help in forming.

Sure, they've had help in their forming, but not in the way you imply. Most of these bugs are becoming resistant due to the overprescription and misuse of antibiotics.

1. Regarding overprescription: For years parents *demanded* that their sick kids get a prescription for an infection (whether or not the infection was bacterial), and doctors had been pretty free to make the same. (Not anymore -- the medical community has tightened up on the prescription of antibiotics.) I could wax on as to why I think parents wanted these prescriptions, but I would go off topic.

2. Regarding misuse. Too many people do not take the full course of antibiotics they are prescribed. They'll take the required doses for the first few days of the prescription and stop taking the remainder because the start to feel better. The problem with this is that not all of the bacteria are killed, and those that survive continue to breed and pass their "new" resistance to the drug onto successive generations of new bacteria. The successive generations require more agreessive treatment when they infect a person. Yet the same yahoos that failed to take the full course of medication the first time around are usually the same folks who fail to take the full course of antibiotics the next time they are sick, thus creating an environment for a new, stronger bacteria to evolve. Repeat this process over several decades of time and -- voila! -- super bacteria that are resistant to many, if not all, antibiotics.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The problem is ever since we discovered antibiotics... we've abused them, some doctors prescribe them for viral infections... which is a waste, and also allows any bacteria floating around to get used to them and mutate to form a resistance...

Ahhh we will be our own doom.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think if you try not to go to the Doctors for small ailments like colds etc, you will find that your body can cure it. Ive not been to the Docs for years now following this policy.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Everyone knows the best way to ward off anything is to wear garlic around your neck

OR, stuff one spoonful of creamy peanut butter up each nostril- (make sure its not the chunky kind, this can create problems)

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Everyone knows the best way to ward off anything is to wear garlic around your neck

OR, stuff one spoonful of creamy peanut butter up each nostril- (make sure its not the chunky kind, this can create problems)

that works for me

do you do this???

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Did you know that a lot of people who smoke live into their 80ies ,some people are immune to smoking and super bugs , thats called a good immune system. You cant stop bugs and you cant stop natural selection , all people who cant cope will die , the others with a better immune system will live . Darwin said it all.

top topics

join