It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creation of Black Hole detected today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Astronomers today think they have photographed a very rare occurance, the Creation of a Black Hole. A faint visible-light flash likely signals the merger between two highly dense neutron stars to create a low-mass black hole.

The merger took place around 2.2 Billion Light years away OR 2.2 Billion years ago. This is a big event in Astronomy, one that has me at the edge of my seat thats for sure

Here's the link www.space.com...

PS Anyone who wants to write an ATSNN story about this don't bother asking just write it! I would do it myself but have no time.

[edit on 9-5-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The merger took place around 2.2 Billion Light years away OR 2.2 Billion years ago.

its not 'OR'. 2.2 Billion years ago is when it occured, But scince its 2.2 billion l/y away, it took the 2.2 b. years to get here, because light has to be gay and travel slow like that(shutup i know the speed of light im just messing around for all you major geeks out there.)

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well I'm not much of an astronomer, but that is fascinating, and I'm sure it will only help us to expand our knowledge regarding the workings of the universe. It's also just pretty damn cool
anywho, thanks for the info and the link

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thats awsome, thanks for sharing the news!

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
woa that pimp

so that pretty much means mr. hawking is right?

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
it wasnt too long ago that everyone was saying that blackholes actually didnt exist......confusing times!

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
rufi0o, i know! thats what i was thinking about earlier today.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Let me throw a little wrench into the smoothly tuned 2.2 billion year hypothesis. Our science only knows the speed of light in a the specific gravity well created by our sun and galaxay. We know that light can be bent by a gravity well such a black hole. We also know that light can be slowed by passing through certain materials even to the point of being slower than the speed of sound. (in the atmosphere) Is it then unreasonable to postulate that light travels at a different speed when it is in the vast relatively gravity free space between galaxies? This discrepancy may help to explain some of the mass problems of modern scientific theory. It certainly is at least as plausible as saying that there is a huge volume of matter that we cannot see or detect in any know way. (dark Matter) It could be that this even happened only 1/2 billion years ago or 15 billion years ago. The truth is we really do not know but can only speculate at best.

loq

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
very true.
no one really knows yet

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
no one does know, but it may also speed up(we havent seen this yet) so we just use the general speed.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Total coolness. Astronomy is awesome!

So is science in total agreement now that black holes exist without a doubt?

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

In special relativity, the speed of light is constant when measured in any inertial frame. In general relativity, the appropriate generalization is that the speed of light is constant in any freely falling reference frame (in a region small enough that tidal effects can be neglected). In this passage, Einstein is not talking about a freely falling frame, but rather about a frame at rest relative to a source of gravity. In such a frame, the speed of light can differ from c, basically because of the effect of gravity (spacetime curvature) on clocks and rulers.
corepower.com

The redshift-distance connection depends on the mass content of the Universe and the cosmological constant, or dark energy. MAP will determine both of these parameters. The speed of light is constant in a vacuum, but it varies as it penetrates the dust and gas of space. Knowing how much mass is out there, then, will lead to a value for the speed of light in this medium. Dark energy acts to accelerate the expansion of the Universe. The greater the force of dark energy, the faster the acceleration and thus the greater the distance traveled by receding galaxies. So knowing the contribution of dark energy, termed the cosmological constant, places another limit on the redshift-distance connection.
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

So its an educated guess, but probably very close, and if a photon has little or no mass then gravity probably has little or no effect on it.

Hope this helps

(edit)added second link

[edit on 9-5-2005 by Rren]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
So is science in total agreement now that black holes exist without a doubt?

Almost! There are still a few doubters but the onus is now on them to prove the non-existance of this type singularity.

There may be many more types yet to be discovered, maybe we will someday find a wormhole that would be something wouldn't it?

top topics

join