It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution vs. Creationism Hearing in Topeka, Kansas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The State Board of Education are holding hearings in Topeka, Kansas where creationists are attempting to push Kansas officials into encouraging "more criticism of evolution in public school classrooms." Witnesses from the scientific community were repeatedly questioned about having a personal agenda in their attempts to push creation over evolution.

www.msnbc.msn.com
TOPEKA, Kan. - Witnesses trying to persuade Kansas officials to encourage more criticism of evolution in public school classrooms have made statements that some scientists say revealed creationist views.

Witnesses in a hearing of a subcommittee of the State Board of Education on how the theory should be taught have also acknowledged that they had not fully read evolution-friendly science standards proposed by educators. Nor had two of three presiding board members.

The subcommittee was in its third day of hearings Saturday, with a final day scheduled for Thursday. The entire board plans to consider changes in June to standards that determine how Kansas students are on science.

State and national science groups are boycotting the hearings, viewing them as rigged in favor of language backed by intelligent design advocates.

In turn, intelligent design advocates contend that they have been portrayed unfairly as advocating creationism. Intelligent design says some features of the natural world are so complex and well-ordered that they are best explained by an intelligent cause.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that the main agenda from the witnesses of the hearing, is to encourage more open debate in the public school classrooms. According to Russell Carlson, a biochemist and molecular biologist at the University of Georgia in Athens, "Teachers should be actually encouraged to discuss these issues.” When asked if it is true that he felt that the "intelligent designer" was "God", Carlson replied, “Well, yeah, I would agree with that.”

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Evolution, Creation and ?
Creation/Intelligent Design vs Evolution/Science Your thoughts?
www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-5-2005 by mpeake]

[edit on 9-5-2005 by mpeake]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
At least Kansas is looking for debate about both, while here in GA, evolution is completely give to the teachers to make the choice if they want to teach it or not.

Now what do you call that?

Bias to the max. Most teachers completely by pass evolution in the classroom, my daughter was in one of those classrooms and I have to take upon myself to teach her about the Theory of Darwin.

Now it seems very unfair that the theory of creationism is taught by parents, Christian Churches and all around.

But the theory of evolution and the fact that Darwin studies gave more to science than "just evolution" is completely by pass by bias teachers and bias school boards.

You don't have to change your point of views or become a believer of one or the other one, but I take in consideration that Darwin made other important contributions to science beside "the hated evolution" like adaptation of plants.

Let the students learn and let them use their brains and decided what they want to believe.

Sometimes I feel that religious groups are afraid that too much "science and historical facts" are going to take away their future contributors and church supporters and that they will be preaching to empty seats.

Pushing agendas when it comes to education of our children and the quality of education are robbing our children of making choices and using their intellect to make their own decision after they see two sides of the story on any give situation is nothing more than manipulation.

Let our children think idependantly.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Now it seems very unfair that the theory of creationism is taught by parents, Christian Churches and all around.

Well, those are considered private sectors and are not required by anyone to teach one thing or another. It's soley up to the one doing the teaching. The Public School system is different. It should be equally discussed and as you stated, left up to the child to judge. I never want to see a day where someone can come into my home and determine what I teach my kids personally.

new topics

join