It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists and why people support them

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Not all terrorists are like that.

Really? Maybe, you should enlighten us as to what their 'rules and regs' are, so that we, too, may feel sympathy for those who risk their lives to kill innocent people.

The PIRA has rules and regs which are far more brutally enoforced than ANY military.
The UVF/UDA have similar.
Many terrorist units like HAMAS I believe have similar rules.
Dont try and catalog them as just this and that, its grey.

After looking at the MI5 list of PIRA's work, it looks to me like they don't pay too much attention to their 'rules.'

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7
First of all you have to define terrorist. Those fighting in Iraq are called insurgents and what does that mean? There are several definitions. Generally an insurgent is a person who rebels or revolts against a ruling government, or constituted authority, more appropriately - an established government. One who acts contrary to the policies and decisions of one's own political party.

Quick note, the ones in iraq are no longer called "insurgents" becuase this states the iraqi'a cannot control there borders! so now they are actually terrorist from a offical point of view!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I support the soldiers who are doing a job they are payed for and signed up for.

You mean mercenaries there don't you?
Hitmen?
Ninja?

I do not support terrorism for the simple fact that they fight, and kill and maim innocent people to justify their cause.
How is bombing people, many of them innocent, from 50,000 feet any different?

Terrorist's are not an army, no matter how they see them selves. They are just cowards who stop at nothing ,nor think nothing of anyone who happens to be in the way when a bomb explodes, detonated by some mindless individual who has been brain washed into believing he will become a martyr.

You are inside their heads, every last one of several million? How do you know what each of them thinks. Your statement is pure bias bull.

You know what probably goes through some of their heads "Americans killed my father, my uncles, and my mother, they will pay"

What goes through a soldiers head? "I only signed up for the college money!"
and "I will kill anyone, man, woman, or child, if it saves american's lives"...I know thats what goes through their heads because I've heard it straight out of their mouths.

Personally I don't support either side, its not my fight, and neither side is supporting my cause or my freedom, so F'em all.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This discussion has denigrated into an argument of semantics...

...the best kind.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

quote: Originally posted by Legalizer

How do i mean mercenaries? Maybe you ought to define "mercenaries" then we can continue with the statement you just made.
A mercenary is a soldier who fights, or engages in warfare primarily for money, with little regard for ideological, national or political considerations. When the term is used to refer to a soldier in a regular national army, it is usually considered an insult, epithet or pejorative.
Try a "google"search on the word "mercenary" dont take my word for it.
www.answers.com...&r=67

You are inside their heads, every last one of several million? How do you know what each of them thinks. Your statement is pure bias bull.

Why is it bias bull? I don't pretend to know whats inside their heads. I only read about how they do things and try and understand the futility of their ways.

You know what probably goes through some of their heads "Americans killed my father, my uncles, and my mother, they will pay"

So you obviously have more insight than most here then if you know that.

Personally I don't support either side, its not my fight, and neither side is supporting my cause or my freedom, so F'em all.

Maybe you could enlighten us as to just what is your cause and your freedom?
Would you be able to actually speak the above statement of "F*** em all" to a soldier who has been there and give your reasons too? Very much doubt it.

Take a look at the first page of this thread, and read the title.
Maybe you could answer the question instead of coming out with offensive remarks like "F*** em all"

My son has just got back from Iraq, and yes, i am proud to be the father of one of the many troops who have served in Iraq. And no, he isn't a mercenary. He is a British soldier who does a job that protects the likes of people like you.

[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by xman_in_blackx
Really? Maybe, you should enlighten us as to what their 'rules and regs' are, so that we, too, may feel sympathy for those who risk their lives to kill innocent people.

Mabye if you opened your mind you might understand who your troops are fighting and why.
The IRA/UVF have several rules, I dont have a list of them but if there was no rules then why wasnt more civilian deaths caused by ethier?

After looking at the MI5 list of PIRA's work, it looks to me like they don't pay too much attention to their 'rules.'

Depends on what thier "rules" are.
MI5 probably isnt the best place to look because they done some crimes equal to the PIRA's.
Close mindedness will get you killed.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Mabye if you opened your mind you might understand who your troops are fighting and why.
The IRA/UVF have several rules, I dont have a list of them but if there was no rules then why wasnt more civilian deaths caused by ethier?

MI5 probably isnt the best place to look because they done some crimes equal to the PIRA's.

being irish,
might be able to help here,
there are lot's of rules in the irish terrorist orginisations,

most of them are about subordination and secrecy, like all militery groups i suppose,

in regard to who you kill and who you don't, almost all terrrorist groups have a fairly public list of what they consider legit targets,
outside of that,if you get in the way, your considered collaterol.

i can't spell either,did ya notice

[edit on 12-5-2005 by pieman]

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the input pieman.

Do you, by any chance , have any more info on how the PIRA works?
Do you by any chance support what they do?
Please dont take offence at my question, its something that this thread is all about. We are trying to understand the reasons behind people supporting the terrorists.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

being irish,

most of them are about subordination and secrecy, like all militery groups i suppose,

in regard to who you kill and who you don't, almost all terrrorist groups have a fairly public list of what they consider legit targets,

yeah i notice the e in militery is suppose to be an a

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
being irish,

Thank you pieman, could you take over about this front?
I am not an expert nor have much experience or a vast knowledge in the whole "ireland/ northern ireland" struggle.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
i don't support them,
and it's a big question to try to answer how the IRA works, if you ask a specific question i might be able to help more, but it's like me asking you how the federal gov. works
but in regard to the original question as to why they do what they do,
try to think of it like this,
these people feel the way new yorkers felt on sept 12, only they feel powerless aswell, thats the easyist way i can put it,
and i'm sure a lot of terrorists know that what they do is wrong, but what else can they do,

terrorism IMO is unexcusable, but it is understandable.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
u.tv...

news.independent.co.uk...

uk.news.yahoo.com...

its not excusable to kill a man at a bar.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
u.tv...

news.independent.co.uk...

uk.news.yahoo.com...

its not excusable to kill a man at a bar.

Delta, I dont think the army council sanctioned it.
They even offered to enforce the rules that they set down, they can kill thier own but to betray them is another matter.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Why do people support terrorists? Pick one (or more)

- they don't know any better.
- they believe the terrorists' drivel about Allah being happy with them
murdering all innocent infidels (people).
- they are part of the U.N. Oil for Food payoff and they don't want
to see their source of illegal money cut off.
- they blindly hate America and figure so do the terrorists.
- they drink hate like water and so do the terrorists. Hate 'loves' hate.
- being counter-culture is 'fun' and today that means being pro-terrorist.
- it's the 'in' radical left wing thing to do.
- they haven't read the blogs from Iraq saying that the people there
hate the terrorist insurgents.
- the enemy of my enemy is my friend syndrome.
- they can't admit that America or G.W. is right about anything so
they support the terrorists in an ill-fated attempt to divert attention
from the fact that the war on terror is being helpful in riding the world
of radical Islamic terror.
- they still live at home, in their parents basement, and are unemployed
and they don't take responsibility for their own situation, so they have
to direct their anger at the establishment in some way and
being angry at the American gov't (and thus liking those anti-american
terrorists) is one way to vet their frustrations at the failure in their
own lives.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Flyers,
Thank you for your "well researched" and "unbiased" reason for terrorism.

I do believe though that this MIGHT be your opinion and not facts.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

How do i mean mercenaries?
A mercenary is a soldier who fights, or engages in warfare primarily for money, with little regard for ideological, national or political considerations.

You answered your own question.
It does not matter to many soldiers who is wrong or right, if the cause is just or not, they will follow orders and kill whoever they are told to kill, so they can pick up their paycheck.
Nationalism is a false "consideration". Especially in the current war where the people being bombed never attack any of the countries involved in the conflict.

Terrorist's are not an army, no matter how they see them selves. They are just cowards who stop at nothing ,nor think nothing of anyone who happens to be in the way when a bomb explodes, detonated by some mindless individual who has been brain washed into believing he will become a martyr.

Why is it bias bull? I don't pretend to know whats inside their heads. I only read about how they do things and try and understand the futility of their ways.

You are not there within their groups, you are no their when they are about to die, you are not ever there. So how do you know if they are brave or cowardice. Do you have enough "courage" to blow crap up over what you believe? Its bias and its bull man. The only thing you know, and you admit this is what you "read about", you admit this. Zero first hand knowledge, doesn't make you omniscient to the persona feelings and goals of so many people.

So you obviously have more insight than most here then if you know that.

note I said "probably", because its an assumption, there are too many of them to ever
know what is going on in all their heads and make a blanket statement that they are all cowards with no care. They are typical soldiers: the end justifies the means.

Maybe you could enlighten us as to just what is your cause and your freedom?
Would you be able to actually speak the above statement of "F*** em all" to a soldier who has been there and give your reasons too? Very much doubt it.

Sure I can. Lets have a quick glance at what neither side has done anything about: no end to the drug war which currently imprisons 450,000 people in the US and provides guaranteed profits for the corrupt on both sides of the front, neither side has prevented the patriot act for taking steps to erase our freedoms, neither side has done jack about racial profiling by law enforcement against my wife, neither side has raised arms and put their back into making sure my family can get decent health care, neither side has done anything to keep corporations from polluting the air my child breaths, neither side is fighting for fuel efficiency and alternative energy.

My freedom is only threatened by my government.....killing Iraqi civilians won't stop that, and both sides are engaged in the same.

Take a look at the first page of this thread, and read the title.
Maybe you could answer the question instead of coming out with offensive remarks like "F*** em all"

I'm responding to your post specifically, and you know it.
Because what you say does not amount to truth.
Nobody at ATS has worked inside a terrorist organization, so how would anyone here be able to truthfully answer exactly why each and every person who supports such organizations does so.
Everything is conjecture.

My son has just got back from Iraq, and yes, i am proud to be the father of one of the many troops who have served in Iraq. And no, he isn't a mercenary. He is a British soldier who does a job that protects the likes of people like you.

No British soldier has protected me. Don't even dream of it.

Did your son get paid for his actions there?
Did he give up his pay to do it "for freedom"?
No I'm sure he didn't, he did it because thats what he's paid to do.
Did he have a free choice to say, "no I will not fight these people, they aren't the enemy"?
No he didn't.

Did he leave Iraq in worse shape than its been in three decades?
Yes he did

Is he going to go back, of his own free will and without pay to infilitrate the insurgency and take them out, to "protect" anybody?
I bet he won't

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

No British soldier has protected me. Don't even dream of it.

Never said they had. I said people like you.

I find some of your remarks , which were aimed at my son offensive to say the least.

By the way. you called the soldiers mercenaries. You were totaly wrong in that quote. Yes , i answered your question for you. Thought you might have needed the help after the misguided quote about them all being mercenaries..

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer
Did your son get paid for his actions there?
Did he give up his pay to do it "for freedom"?
No I'm sure he didn't, he did it because thats what he's paid to do.

Perhaps, it would not be practical to do these things for free considering he doesn't live in a communist state. He lives in a place where he must support his family by earning a wage or salary. Forfeiture of salary would be ridiculous so your argument is pointless. All men in the western world work for a salary and that does not make them mercenaries. All soldiers have been paid since the very beginning.

Originally posted by Legalizer
Did he leave Iraq in worse shape than its been in three decades?
Yes he did

His son is not responsible for that. The people who are making the living conditions worse are the ones who are deliberately targeting civilians and anyone who is trying to make Iraq a better place. How can we improve anything when terrorists/insurgents/add your name for them here/ are tearing it down as fast as we can fix it. How can improvements be made to infrastructure when the environment is too hostile to have unarmed contractors make things better? They cannot.

If you want to start fixing blame, you may want to look into a mirror. The more you support the insurgents, the longer it will take to stabilize and the more men, women and children will needlessly die. Maybe you should have a chat with Jane Fonda about how she feels now about her overt support for the North Vietnamese while her countrymen died. Her actions breeding more and more VC causing the war to linger on. She thought she was helping the war to come to an end. She eventually she only realized she was being used to kill her own people.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jayce
Quick note, the ones in iraq are no longer called "insurgents" becuase this states the iraqi'a cannot control there borders! so now they are actually terrorist from a offical point of view!

There are quite a few professors getting air time and article time defining the term insurgent from a historical point of view and of course they come to the same conclusion - it doesn't apply to Iraqi's. Currently, form the official point of view (the DoD), the label insurgent, still sticks. I'm sure the term will evolve in the future based on what American's need to hear.

I was surprised to see you blokes in Britain pick up the term (insurgent) and keep it as your own. Generally I find British media to be much more professional and articulate than U.S. media.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Why do people support terrorists?

Well I am pretty sure it isn't for the free camel rides so it must have something to do wth Money/politics/religion. Maybe I would throw in sex but I haven't seen any sexy terrorists yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join