It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Mistrial Declared In Domestic Terrorism/ Ohio Sniper Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
A jury was unable to decide the fate of Domestic Terrorist/Sniper Charles Mcoy Jr. During a five month period in late 2003 and early 2004, Charles Mcoy Jr terrorized the State of Ohio with his deadly Highway shootings which left 11 injured and 1 person dead. The defense conceded that McCoy committed the crimes, however the jury was unable to decide if he should get life in prison or be committed to a mental institution.

news.yahoo.com
A hung jury was declared Sunday after four full days of deliberations in the trial of McCoy, 29, charged with 12 shootings that terrified commuters over five months in 2003 and 2004.
According to the jury note read by the judge, the panel had voted on Friday and Sunday without reaching unanimous decisions on insanity on each count. "We have no indication at this time that this will change," the note said.

Juror Bobby Collins, a retired police officer, said he was "very disappointed" when reached later by telephone. He declined to discuss deliberations. "There will be another trial, and I don't want to taint that."
The defense admitted McCoy was behind the Columbus-area shootings, plus about 200 acts of vandalism involving dropping lumber and bags of concrete mix off of overpasses. But his attorneys insisted he did not understand his actions were wrong because of delusions from his untreated paranoid schizophrenia. The defense psychiatrist said McCoy was desperate to rid himself of humiliating voices in his head that called him a "wimp" for not standing up to mocking from television programs and commercials. He also said McCoy believed others could read his thoughts.

The prosecution's psychiatrist said that, despite the delusions, McCoy showed he knew his actions were wrong by steps he took to avoid capture, such as leaving for Las Vegas when his father turned McCoy's guns over to police. McCoy was arrested a few days later, on March 17, 2004.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Clearly this is a case of Domestic Terrorism, similar to the D.C Sniper shootings. The defense of insanity is a moot point when trying a case such as this, where the accused person readily admits having commited the crime. The D.C sniper recieved the death penalty and so should Charles McCoy Jr.

Clearly if Charles Mcoy Jr. was wearing a turbin at the time of these acts or if he had black skin, he would have recieved the death penalty....No question about it!

If we are to have Domestic terrorism laws, then they MUST be enforced equally for all.

[edit on 9-5-2005 by cafeman]

[edit on 9-5-2005 by cafeman]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The only issue left undecided is life in prison or a mental institution. There are several differences besides skin color and religious background, between McCoy and The DC sniper. McCoy confessed, the sniper plead not guilty. The sniper shot people to death, sometimes right in the head, from relatively close range, McCoy basted away with a handgun from overpasses or behind shrubbery. By pleading not guilty, the sniper invited the death penalty if convicted. I think McCoy should be eligible, as well, but thats not the way the system works. Hopefully, he will get life w/o in prison, the stiffest possible sentence for him, the coward. I have a related thread on the board.

TV Blamed For Shootings

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
McCoy killed (1) person....I see little difference between killing 1 person or 10, both McCoy and the DC Sniper are domestic terrorist and should be treated as such. Murder is murder.. is it not?
And who really cares if the DC sniper pleaded not guilty....he was found to be guilty and given the death penalty....just as McCoy should receive!

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I guess we'll just have to wait for the next trial to see what happens. Hopefully we'll be able to hear from the jurors about why some of them thought he was insane.

Personally, I don't think he is insane. Too bad the state didn't present a stronger case for his sanity.

Zip

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Friends take note, if yu every get in a pinch, take a bench trial. The judge HAS to honor the system, his oath. As much as a jury would be told to follow the law, feelings can get in the way.

I dont think this guy hould get off, it just makes me know that judges are stand up people, and really do live for the law.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I believe, in this case, this guy was crazy. I'm trying to figure out if he wanted to give up living by doing this? Was he serving some higher purpose? Was he making up the "reading thoughts" thing and the tv talking?

His inablity to rationalize his decisions is enough to call him insane.

Does it make sense to believe the television is talking to you?
Does it make sense to believe that people can read your thoughts?

If he is guilty and sent to prison, that means he also believes the inmates can read his thoughts and the television that is in prison can talk to him there. It also means that the guards and maybe he believes even the court room people can read his thoughts.

So, is he insane and should go to prison and sit in a cell, or should he be treated, studied and have it "finally" once and for all prove if he's telling the truth about being insane or lying through his teeth.

[edit on 27-5-2005 by pfunkarocka]

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I can't think of any other state of mind you would be in besides "crazy" when you are killing anyone for any reason. Temporary or Long-term insanity, in my opinion is a given.

Unless someone messes with your familiy and you defend them by killing them to protect your family than insanity shouldn't even be brought up.

top topics

join