It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Significant Weakening Of Gulf Stream Detected

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Thanks. Is it my imagination or are a number of temperature variations around the world becoming a bit stronger?

Another question, is it easy to explain how the artic ice cap could melt by 2020 with the gulf stream flow slowing or shutting down? I've read that the artic ice is melting or thinning and could be gone as early as 2020. Is this related to the gulf stream flow slowing down? I'm curious since I don't remember hearing the link or process associated with it.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Reports like those that make the wild claims about the ice being gone either don't take in to account what happens when that much fresh water ends up in the ocean or they simply ignore the fact in order to push an agenda.

In my opinion it looks as if the gulf stream is taking a really big beating. Once the current fails the ice should start to regenerate pretty fast. I wish someone here would do a research project on the little ice age. I think at best that is what we are headed for. God forbid we don't end up with another Younger Dryas event.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Try reading Robert Felix's book 'Not by Fire but by Ice', I would highly recommend it, an excellent book explaining how the world could be heading for another ice age.

Or just have a look at his site www.iceagenow.com... which is full of interesting tidbits about the weather.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
That's crazy! I never knew stuff like this could happen! *reads stuff*

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by keldas
Try reading Robert Felix's book 'Not by Fire but by Ice', I would highly recommend it, an excellent book explaining how the world could be heading for another ice age.

Or just have a look at his site www.iceagenow.com... which is full of interesting tidbits about the weather.

Oh absolutely! I have his book in safe keeping here. It was a gift from the author and more valued than collectable I have. I'd also recommend his audio book as well. You can get the book and audio book on his site and the rates are very reasonable.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Thanks for providing those links above.
I'll have to read over the last one. I found it very amusing that two guys from Greenpeace planned a trek across the frozen Artic Ocean to draw attention to global warming and instead they had to call it quits because of "unexpectedly heavy snow, wind, and ice." Then I read the helicopter couldn't reach them because the weather was too bad. This is in June a few days ago it sounds like. While I don't wish them harm, I did find it amusing. I also believe that it is more evidence that we may be on a global trek of global climate change.
You think mother nature is trying to give Greenpeace a message? It may not be warming up near the Artic.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Another question. I read and heard that there is a growing pool of fresh water within the Atlantic Ocean which could be or is causing the gulf stream flow to diminish. Is this fresh water coming from the melting of the artic ice cap or from all the rain over North America or a combination? Is the artic ice mostly frozen salt water or fresh water?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
The problem is coming from melting ice. It is fresh water. Oh I am sure there is rain water contributing to the problem as well but the ice melt is #1.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have had another look at his site and I think I will try the audio version I belive he has updated his information. It does appear though that his theories on the coming iceage are bourne out by the unusual weather happening all around the world.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Robert Felix and his site www.iceagenow.com... explain the coming ice age is not due to global warming caused by man but due to the huge energy release of underwater volcanoes in the Pacific heating the ocean water and causing the ice over the Artic to melt. How many people support this theory? I haven't heard of it before. Of course that doesn't mean it's right or wrong.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
His theory really makes alot of sense. NASA estimates there are some 1 million underwater volcanoes. They can release an incredible amount of heat into the oceans. And since the cold water is heavy that means the superheated water will quicly rise to the surface. It will thin out greatly before reaching the surface but it will certainly change things. And since the oceans contain so much energy they act greatly on the atmosphere. The effect of the ocean on the atmosphere is the reason we have el nino.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Excessive amounts of fresh water causes the Gulf Stream to weaken. Below is excerpts from a press release from Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. We are looking at a future with significant cooling in areas of the Northern Hemisphere.

WHOI Media Relations Press Release How Much Excess Fresh Water Was Added to the North Atlantic in Recent Decades

June 16, 2005

Large regions of the North Atlantic Ocean have been growing fresher since the late 1960s as melting glaciers and increased precipitation, both associated with greenhouse warming, have enhanced continental runoff into the Arctic and sub-Arctic seas. Over the same time period, salinity records show that large pulses of extra sea ice and fresh water from the Arctic have flowed into the North Atlantic. But, until now, the actual amounts and rates of fresh water accumulation have not been explicitly known.

In a paper to be published June 17 in Science, Ruth Curry of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) and Cecilie Mauritzen of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute quantified for the first time how much additional fresh water caused the observed salinity changes in the northern North Atlantic Ocean, how fast it entered the Atlantic circulation, and where that fresh water was stored.

During the late 1960s, a large pulse of fresh water entered the Nordic Seas through Fram Strait and moved quickly southward in the East Greenland Current.

Pulses of excess fresh water and ice appear to have come from the Arctic in the 1980s and 1990s as well.

Excessive amounts of freshwater could alter the ocean density that drives a portion of this circulation system, diminish the amount of heat that is transported northward, and significantly cool areas of the Northern Hemisphere.

Click to enlarge
Topographic map of the Nordic Seas and Subpolar Basins, with schematic circulation of surface currents (solid curves) and deep currents (dashed curves) that form a portion of the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (MOC). The color of the curves depicts their approximate temperatures. Map inset shows the boundaries of the Nordic Seas and Subpolar Basins used in the analysis of water volume. (Illustration by Jack Cook, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution)

Click the link to read the full press release...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Interesting story. Anyone here besides me think this is a U.S. funded organization trying to do damage control for a British controlled (Cambridge University) report that shows the sinking motion at less than 25% of its strength just 5 years ago?

Whenever something comes up that might put an end to the global warming "theory" they try and push the end out a hundred or two hundred years so people have to still buy in to what they are trying to sell. The report just smells of damage control.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I keek thinking of this thred
Her in upper Calif. the weather is vary odd
temps much lower by 35 f
with lots of rain
and snow levels at 5000'

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I somehow missed reading a link within the one above about why our climate is changing. I believe it may be possible that many scientists have it wrong and natural processes are going to cause another ice age just like they have in the past. Within this link www.iceagenow.com... and this link www.iceagenow.com...

The topic says it's not the green house gases due to human activity that will or is causing global climate change. It's a natural process. I will attempt a summary of the natural process I believe I read within the two links above.

Eighty percent of the world's volcanoes are underwater and unmonitored I believe I read. Deep ocean temperatures in the Pacific have been unexpectedly rising. When oceans warm up they release CO2. The Artic Ice may melt due to warmer oceans and volcanic activity I believe. The large increase in fresh water due to melting Artic Ice is changing the salinity of the the North Atlantic and the gulf stream flow is slowing down. This sounds logical to me and is a natural process. If all of this is a natural process, then about the only thing we can do to try to stop it is pray. This is just my opinion and I know opinions differing from what's considered the norm are sometimes controversial. The theory of a meteor killing the dinosaurs was once considered very controversial.

Now in case I alarmed anyone, maybe the volcanic activity will die down and things will return to normal. We can always hope. I do believe it's possible that all of the greenhouse gases already emitted by man may be contributing to warmer global temps. Things could escalate fast if the oceans warm up as well because I believe the oceans trapped a lot of the previously released CO2 emitted by man. Just my opinion here.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
orionthehunter, let me ask you something. When you have a problem, and you add more problems, does the situation not change at all and remains exactly the same? or does it worsen the situation?

Yes, there is a natural cycle which the Earth goes through frequently, but adding more chemicals, and gases to the atmosphere and the oceans does add to the problem and makes climate change faster.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Yes, there is a natural cycle which the Earth goes through frequently, but adding more chemicals, and gases to the atmosphere and the oceans does add to the problem and makes climate change faster.

I'll agree that should speed up climate change. The question I have is the change that big compared to the changes mother nature is producing all by herself? If we hold off an ice age by 10 years or 20 years, maybe it would be worthwhile to spend trillions to delay an ice age. I just don't know and it's a serious matter since it affects all of our wallets one way or the other.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm just wondering, is it possible the ocean temperature satellite pics are misleading since they only show the surface temps? If it's the deep ocean waters that are warming up due to volcanic activity in the Pacific and Artic, could this deeper water be melting the Artic ice? If the ice is melting from the bottom up (not sure on this) it seems logical to me that the heat for this melting is coming from down within the ocean.
Any thoughts on this?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Orion... I have absolutely no idea about the ocean below the surface. I would guess historical data is at best incomplete. Only thing that matters to me in my opinion is what Cambridge scientists found with the vanishing columns of sinking water.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For those who are still interested here in the latest SST anomaly map from 6/25. There is a nice dark purple in the middle Atlantic as temperatures approach -4c or -7.2F departure from normal.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join