It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Significant Weakening Of Gulf Stream Detected

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
That picture brings to mind, chaos, kind of like our chaotic weather, that has no real clear definite flow anymore. We could be in the middle of Winter, then suddenly have a week of warm weather, or only a day of warm weather, then the temperature could drop down into sub freezing temps the next day. I don't like thinking about the weather sometimes, it makes me feel crazy.

Troy

[edit on 23-11-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the link Indy.

The stuff about the droughts is disturbing. Florida is battling one this year, but I was assuming the lawns would recover next spring and letting nature take it's course instead of freaking out over mine. However, after reading your link the possibility that we could continue this trend in 2007, well maybe I should be being more proactive. We spent most of this year in a "high alert" fire condition. I can't imagine what will happen if we don't get a break.

It did appear though that the changes to the gulf stream has spared us some hurricanes, and I was certainly relieved about that. They don't seem to be making it across the Atlantic to the east coast (at least not for 2006).

[edit on 11/24/2006 by Relentless]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I believe very few Cape Verde storms formed the year before as well. Most formed in the western half of the Atlantic.

I wonder if any of this has to do with the dust?

[edit on 11/25/2006 by Indy]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy

I wonder if any of this has to do with the dust?

[edit on 11/25/2006 by Indy]

Are you talking about dust blowing off from Africa or something else?

Just curious.

I'm wondering if the weather where I'm at is going to be occasionally very wet since the carolinas are near a possible mixing point of hot and cold. I'm thinking warm water and cold air if things set up that way. It has rained here for several days at times and my front yard has the softest clay ever in the last several years. At least the temperatures have stayed above freezing while it's been raining so much. I don't care to see massive power blackouts due to ice storms around here again. I'm thinking I should prepare an alternative form of cooking if the whole city is heavily iced over and the roads are too icy to drive on.

So is there any consensus among anyone that the Gulf Stream is going to shut down in under 10 years? I read that opinion on Indy's site. What signs should we look for?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter

Are you talking about dust blowing off from Africa or something else?

Oh yeah that is what I was referring to. I think there is a pretty good chance of a significant current disruption in the next 10 years. It would be pure speculation on what would happen if the current was disrupted. Who really knows what the symptoms would be?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
As global warming accelerates, and the human contribution to it increases it is becoming harder for skeptics to deny that which science is proving.

However the reality is that most people, especially Americans, are content to remain oblivious to the impact that our pollution production is having on global climate. Therefore listing real data, and showing charts, graphs, projections and computer generated model long range forecasts, do little to change people's attitudes.

Extreme weather is only going to worsen, weather anomalies, and record heat contributing to large scale glacier and polar ice melting. Combined with man's contribution to this problem, we have a recipe for a future of calamity, pestilences, droughts, and more extreme weather, along with the potentially rapidly rising ocean levels, and loss of land to water invasion which could ultimately displace 100's of Millions of people.

Man's seemingly suicidal habits that are contributing to these problems will continue. In fact we may be reaching a point where even the most radical changes will be unable to slow or stop this process.

We face a future world that may be far less habitable, for all species.

Too bad, what a shame.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion, you can safely return to your oblivious world where everything is usually quite good.

[edit on 26-11-2006 by UM_Gazz]

apc

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't know of anyone who flat out denies the fact that the climate is changing. But I have yet to see any real data, charts, graphs, projections or computer generated model long range forecasts that demonstrate conclusively that a bunch of monkeys and their SUVs are the culprit.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Here is something I have been wondering. If you look over the number of reported twisters over time you'll the the numbers climbing. Each major jump corresponds with an invention. First big jump corresponds with the invention of radar. The second big jump corresponds with the invention of nexrad radar. Why can't the same be true for temperature trends?

Take a look at this graph...

The digital thermometer for outside temperatures was patented in 1990.

patents.globalspec.com...

So how much of the temperature trend is related to actual warming and how much is related to improved data collecting? Keep in mind that while data sampling has become more accurate the data collected itself has become contaminated as a result of the urban heat island effect. This doesn't really make for good reporting.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
What signs should we look for?

Did you watch the Packers / Seahawks game? I think that is a pretty big sign that something is really wrong. My Dad calls me and tells me to put it on the game. I only watch one game a week. I'm honestly not interested in other games. He tells me I should look at all the snow. Ok. I like snow. So I change the channel. Eh. Packers in the snow. I've seen it before. So I think nothing of it. Until today. Today I discover that the game was not played in Green Bay but rather in Seattle. According to a CBS Sportsline story this was the first ever Seattle home game played in the snow.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
As global warming accelerates, and the human contribution to it increases it is becoming harder for skeptics to deny that which science is proving.

However the reality is that most people, especially Americans, are content to remain oblivious to the impact that our pollution production is having on global climate. Therefore listing real data, and showing charts, graphs, projections and computer generated model long range forecasts, do little to change people's attitudes.

Gazz why is it that the same is happening to every planet on the solar system? Is mankind also at fault for what is happening in the entire solar system?

New images of Mars suggest the Red Planet's surface is more active than previously thought, the US space agency (Nasa) reports.
Photographs from Nasa's orbiting spacecraft Mars Global Surveyor show recently formed craters and gullies.

The agency's scientists also say that deposits of frozen carbon dioxide near the planet's south pole have shrunk for three summers in a row.

They say this is evidence to suggest climate change is in progress.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The magnetic field of the Earth is getting weaker as we speak more than it has been in the past 800,000 years. the sun's own magnetic field did not flip completly as it should and as it has done for millenia.

There is evidence that there is a warming tendency happening in every planet with an atmosphere on our solar system

It does appear that what is happening on Earth is not only happening to Earth, but pretty much the entire solar system.

The question is, how do we stop glabal warming if it is being caused by forces outside our planet as it appears is happening?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well, to make even more of a point i will post more links and excerpts as to what is happening in the entire solar system.

New Storm on Jupiter Hints at Climate Change
By Sara Goudarzi
Staff Writer
posted: 04 May 2006
01:00 pm ET

A storm is brewing half a billion miles away and in a rare event, astronomers get to watch it closely.

Jupiter is growing a new red spot and the Hubble Space Telescope is photographing the scene. Backyard astronomers have been following the action, too.

"Red Spot Jr." as it is being called, formed after three white oval-shaped storms—two of which were at least 90 years old—merged between 1998 and 2000.

A similar merger took place centuries ago and formed the bigger and legendary Great Red Spot, a storm twice as big as Earth and almost 300 years old.

www.space.com...

MIT researcher finds evidence of global warming on Neptune's largest moon
June 24, 1998

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- We're not the only ones experiencing global warming. A Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher has reported that observations obtained by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and ground-based instruments reveal that Neptune's largest moon, Triton, seems to have heated up significantly since the Voyager space probe visited it in 1989. The warming trend is causing part of Triton's surface of frozen nitrogen to turn into gas, thus making its thin atmosphere denser.

web.mit.edu...

Saturn

"There is nothing like this compact warm cap in the Earth's atmosphere," said Dr. Glenn S. Orton, of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena and lead author of the paper describing the results. "Meteorologists have detected sudden warming of the pole, but on Earth this effect is very short-term. This phenomenon on Saturn is longer-lived because we've been seeing hints of it in our data for at least two years."

The puzzle isn't that Saturn's south pole is warm; after all, it has been exposed to 15 years of continuous sunlight, having just reached its summer Solstice in late 2002. But both the distinct boundary of a warm polar vortex some 30 degrees latitude from the southern pole and a very hot "tip" right at the pole were completely unexpected.

www2.keck.hawaii.edu...

I can post articles of the warming of all planets and major moons with an atmosphere in our solar system, most of which are going through more dramatic changes to what is happening on Earth, but it will take a long time.

Yes warming is occurring on Earth, but so is happening on all planets with an atmosphere in our solar system.

The question remains, what do we do to stop the dramatic warming in the entire solar system?

Can we really stop the dramatic changes and warming that is happening in the solar system?

What do you think?

Do yourselves a favor and make a search on google writing the name of every planet in the solar system and "warming" together and initialize the search. You might find the results interesting.

[edit on 28-11-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yes - there is dramatic warming in the solar system

And - there is dramatic warming on Earth.

The problem is that human activities are interacting with larger cycles - and apparently causing them to escalate. True, we do not understand how it all works together.

But it only makes sense to what we can to clean up our act, and do what we can to mitigate the effects, interractions and destructive impacts.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
But it only makes sense to what we can to clean up our act, and do what we can to mitigate the effects, interractions and destructive impacts.

Could you tell me exactly how we can "mitigate the effects" when what is happening in most other planets is worse than what is happening on Earth?...

Are you saying it is just a coincidence that the warming that is happening in all other planets in the solar system which is much higher than what is happening on Earth is just coindidence and we shouldn't be paying attention to the fact that the other planets are being affected more with dramatic changes than Earth is?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Are you saying it is just a coincidence that the warming that is happening in all other planets in the solar system ...and we shouldn't be paying attention to the fact that the other planets are being affected more with dramatic changes than Earth is?

I am saying you sound like a little kid standing in an upside-down topsy-turvy room with science projects growing in glasses, on plates and in the wastebasket saying, "It's not MY fault! And besides, all my friends rooms are exactly like this!"

POINT being - our problem is not the entire solar system. Our problem is planet Earth

Earth is our home. We need to take care of it. We can't move to another house when we trash this one.

Now, GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM.

Enough excuses. And tell your friends at the Hudson Institute or wherever they are to get their acts together too.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Oooh, right, so I am childish for showing facts which contradict your opinion?

Don't try to back off from the discussion by trying to make a joke of it.

Or should i say, you are acting like a little girl trying to claim it is the fault of Capitalists and governments like the United States, like you always do in pretty much every thread you have ever responded to, for what is happening on Earth when worse is happening to the entire solar system which points to the fact that global warming on Earth is being caused by something outside our planet?.....

Let's get back to the discussion shall we?, or should we resort to more childish jokes trying to deny the facts and make light of them?

If you are right and "it is partly our fault that global warming is happening"...why is it that, for example, Pluto's atmosphere is becoming denser and denser as it moves away from the sun? Pluto's atmosphere becomes denser the higher it's temperature.

Pluto thought to be warming up
Astronomers at the University of Tasmania have found that the solar system's smallest planet is not getting colder as first thought and it probably does not have rings.

Dr John Greenhill has collected observations from last month's event when Pluto passed in front of a bright star, making it easier to study.

French scientists have shared the measurements they took in Tasmania that night, which indicate that the planet is unlikely to have rings.

Dr Greenhill says the results are surprising because they show Pluto is warming up.

"It looks as though the atmosphere has not changed from 2002, which is pretty surprising because we expected the atmosphere would freeze out as the planet moved further away from the Sun," he said.

"But so far, if anything, the atmosphere has gotten even denser."

www.abc.net.au...

The above story is from 2006 at which time it has been found that PLuto's atmosphere has tripled.

Pluto's atmosphere more than doubled from 1998-2002

Further analysis of the data reveals that the pressure in Pluto's atmosphere more than doubled between 1988 and 2002. One might naively expect an overall collapse of the atmosphere: the gases should freeze onto the surface as the planet moves farther from the Sun and cools.

calys.obspm.fr...

So it appears that the warming of Puto is increasing, despite the fact that it is moving away from the Sun.

But i guess i should go to my room and not think about what is happening in the entire solar system...it is the fault of Capitalists and the United States in general...the cause can't be greater forces which humankind has no control over....

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

However the reality is that most people, especially Americans, are content to remain oblivious to the impact that our pollution production is having on global climate.

Aided, abetted and confused by industry-funded shills who obscure the issue
- and insist it's ALL solar generated.

Extreme weather is only going to worsen, weather anomalies, and record heat contributing to large scale glacier and polar ice melting. Combined with man's contribution to this problem, we have a recipe for a future of calamity, pestilences, droughts, and more extreme weather, along with the potentially rapidly rising ocean levels, and loss of land to water invasion which could ultimately displace 100's of Millions of people.

Man's seemingly suicidal habits that are contributing to these problems will continue. In fact we may be reaching a point where even the most radical changes will be unable to slow or stop this process.

We face a future world that may be far less habitable, for all species.

Too bad, what a shame.

Unfortunately.

But thanks to industry marketing, we can blame it on something else.

Corporate campaigns insist industrial activities have no effect on the environment
or human health, but ironically, also insist individuals
are "personally responsible" for their 'own' problems
- like pollution-caused cancer.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by soficrow]

apc

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Heh... refuses to acknowledge contradictory evidence and just stays on message. Where's my dictionary...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Once more Muaddib is trying to muddy the waters and deflect any serious discussion of global warming by claiming that all the planets are experincing it. A phoney arguement if there ever was one if only because we only have 30 or 40 years worth of data on the other planets and with tree rings, ice cores and the like have several hundred thousand years of information as a resource.

In essence Muaddib is denying global warming or more specifically that we either contribute to it or can do anything to stop it, which is patently absurd.

All that is really moot. The issue is and should be HOW ARE WE EFFECTING THE CLIMATE AND WHAT CAN (OR SHOULD) BE DONE ABOUT IT?

All other discussions asserting that we go through periodic warming and cooling (which we do) or that the radiant output of the sun varies (which it does) or that we pass though stellar clouds (which we do) which effect the amount of light that we recieve and as such, the climate...are besides the point....which is how do we contribute to it and what can we do to change the situition?

Conservation should always be sound private, public and economic policy.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by grover]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Aided, abetted and confused by industry-funded shills who obscure the issue
- and insist it's ALL solar generated.

Ah of course, I disagree with you and suddenly I must be a government agent....

Nice....and where is your evidence for making such accusation?...

Unfortunately.

But thanks to industry marketing, we can blame it on something else.

Corporate campaigns insist industrial activities have no effect on the environment
or human health, but ironically, also insist individuals
are "personally responsible" for their 'own' problems
- like pollution-caused cancer.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by soficrow]

What in the world are you talking about?......

Could you point who and where has anyone in the thread mentioned the above?....

oh wait, unless you are talking about a statement i made to another member who was trying to blame the government because she was getting fat....from eating fast foods....

I would like to know where has anyone said that certain human activities are not hazardous to health....

Oh and btw sofi...you are using a computer that is using electricity which is running because of electrical plants which use either coal or nuclear energy...so go turn off your computer, shut off your heater, stop using your car or bicycle to go to work, and don't buy any food which are in plastic containers and which is being transported by trucks which use gas/diesel al of which comes from oil....you better stop doing all that before the world ends......

Anyways....i guess the solar system has no power over Earth and all it's inhabitants...

[edit on 30-11-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Even if we do fully become enviromentally conscious all our efforts will not be able to hold a candle to Nature.

No one has any idea how much worse it can really get, and after we are long gone the next tenants will be arguing the exact same points.

For those still concerned with the here and now, preparation is most prudent. Regardless who or how it happens, carring on with life takes priority.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join