It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Years Old and On the Pill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'm sure there will be people with opposite thoughts from me on this,
but I'll post mine anyways and let you flame away.

10 year old girls on the pill?? This is AWFUL. I'm sure that some out
there will say that it's better than getting pregnant and all ... but starting
out on the pill, a pill that has questionable health ramifications, at age 10
is insane. The pill makes your body think it's pregnant. Putting girls on
the pill at age 10 and having them most likely stay on it until they are
in their 50's has got to be doing harm to their bodies.

If there was a pill available for the guys do you think the doctors would
be prescribing it for the boys from age 10 until 50 or 60 years old? I
don't. That's just my gut instinct.

This also raises another question - is there child abuse going on with this?
What parents are allowing 10 year olds to have sex?

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Excerpt -

Doctors put girls aged 10 on the pill
Camillo Fracassini and Sarah-Kate Templeton
Timesonline, May 8, 2005

DOCTORS have prescribed the contraceptive pill to girls as young as 10,
according to research that will reignite the debate over the spread of
under-age sex in Britain.

The study, covering more than 35,000 girls, found there were 23 aged
under 13 who had been given the pill either by family planning clinics or
GPs. Of those, two were aged 10.

It is the first time such data on age have been disclosed and has prompted
criticism that doctors may be condoning under-age sex or abuse. The
research was conducted in Scotland, where sex with a girl under 13 is
classified as rape. However, sex with a girl under 13 carries a maximum life
sentence both north and south of the border.

More at the site -
www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 5/8/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
FYI... the pill is also a great way to help if the girl has a bad achne problem. One of my relatives had that problem and the pill helped clear that up.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Indy, thank you for that information. Yes, I know that the pill
is sometimes used for acne clear up. But 10 year olds don't
normally have severe acne.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The pill is used to treat more than just acne. Severe or heavy periods can be drastically improved, PMS, cycle regulation and treatment of uterine problems. I'm not sure I buy the idea that it has undiscovered health risks. The pill in various forms has been around for several decades and the hormone doses given now are much much less than pills that our mothers took.

Taking the pill long term can also greatly reduce the risks of ovarian and uterine cancers. Periods are hard on the body, and these days women don't have one child after another like they did 100 years ago. Having two periods or less a year is better for you than having one a month. Having less periods and having your body think it's pregnant is actually a good thing.

Also - lets keep some perspective here. These pills are not given out like candy to 10 year olds every day. The article mentioned TWO ten-year-olds. That's hardly shocking. I would much rather see a girl of 10 on the pill than pregnant.

When a 10 year old girl takes the pill or why she takes it is also none of our business. It's a decision between her doctor and her parents and herself.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloonWhen a 10 year old girl takes the pill or why she takes it is also none of our business. It's a decision between her doctor and her parents and herself.

well said. but let those who would hurt a child hope with fear for a quick death. all religions can at least recognize the spiritual truth of reciprocal actions. some call it karma, some call it "reaping what you sow." in either case, payback's a 31TCH.

daved

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
10 year old girls on the pill

There is no way in hell - if I had a 10 yr old daughter - that I'd allow her to go on the pill!
That's insane and immoral. Unless for some bizarre health reason.

Parents that condone their children having sex is depraved. Flame me if you will.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
are you sure these girls are not being put on the pill for reasons other than pregnancy control, I mean doesn't it help to regulate Periods and severe PMS symptoms or something, it's just way things are now a days girls are reaching puberty younger and younger. In my family alone I've heard of 3 getting periods by the time they are 8 or 9. When I was younger we had a friend of the family who was basically fully develop by the time she was 12 or 13, she supposedly starting getting her periods by the time she was 7. I saw her again when she was like 17 and she looked older than me and was a good 4 or 5 years older and I can easily pass for a few years older than i'm am. I think this may have to do with that, I no expert but I notice from the few girls that I've seen that develop early that their cramps and other PMS symptoms are a bit more severe than for older girls. My godmother's daughter starter getting her period shortly before her eighth birthday and you had to take her to the hospitol the first few months, and even for the new 2 years or so she needed to stay out of school and get strong medication.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Those rare cases aside, I can't imagine it would be at all healthy for those girls. As noted, there are some pretty dangerous risks/future side effects.

I also think its bad b/c it could encourage/embolden young girls to be sexually active when they otherwise wouldn't feel safe enuff to.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I find the assumption that just because a girl of 10 is taking the contraceptive pill, automatically means she is going to have sex. Absolute rubbish.

If the child has started her periods early, as most girls do nowadays, and she was having trouble, then the obvious option is taking the pill to control the regularity of them.
My daughter had the same problems when she 12. That didn't mean she went out and had sex with anyone who happened to take an interest in her.

The kids can suffer a lot at that age. They are just coming to terms that their body is changing. Hell, they don't need anymore complications that will get in the way of them playing with their dolls.

A parent consenting to their 10 year old daughter does not mean that they are consenting to her to have intercourse, nor does it mean that their are ulterior motives involved here as was mentioned in the first post.

It isn't awful that they need to take the pill. Its a necessity to help them through a difficult stage. To see a young girl suffer with period pains at that age is not nice.

[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Don't knock "the pill". As mentioned, women use BC drugs for regulation of their periods and they do have good aspects. Any device that allows women to control their fertility or to regulate their bodily systems is good.

The pill is a boon for all women. You do realize all the time and effort that women had to put in in order for "the pill" to be invented, right? If you are concerned about these girls being given a message that it's okay to have sex, there's a little thing called education that can correct that. Ten year olds have little overt interest in sex anyway, but they do sometimes have cramps and period problems. People who are worried about ten-year olds having sex probably have sexual issues of their own, IMHO. Having an irregular period, however, can be lifeshattering for a young girl, particularly if she gets "surprised" by having her period at the wrong time. The mental comfort can far outweigh any potential side effects, in such cases.

For the non-pill crowd, I'd recommend Inga Muscio's book. It's a great read.

[edit on 8-5-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dasher

Originally posted by RedBalloonWhen a 10 year old girl takes the pill or why she takes it is also none of our business. It's a decision between her doctor and her parents and herself.

well said. but let those who would hurt a child hope with fear for a quick death. all religions can at least recognize the spiritual truth of reciprocal actions. some call it karma, some call it "reaping what you sow." in either case, payback's a 31TCH.

Ehh? I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are children being hurt by people abusing them or by their doctors? Is this related to sex or to a child taking medications?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Health reasons? Why is this 10 year on the pill?

Sometimes medications may be warranted, but I think drugs are way overprescribed, and can come at a price to your health. It wasn't that long ago that I thought I was having some heart problems. I was feeling pretty unhealthy regardless if it was heart related or not. Not a real issue now, I just weeded a lot of the garbage out, and am consistently supplementing. (including enzymes as a note) Honestly, it's amazing what eating better can do for you. I think that some of the preservatives and additives could be the culprits. I read my labels and try to eat more natural and unprocessed foods, and I'm not so much watching fat or cholesterol. I'm more or less trying to watch my intake of bread as well, and cutting out a good bit of sugar. (processed) Anyway.

Perhaps there is a more natural and dietary solution to this girl's problems, if she is using the pill for a medical reason?

Troy

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
hope so cybertroy, I've personally known young girls who have gone into puberty at pretty young ages (8,9 and so) and PMS for these girls is a lot more painfull and brutal the most bad PMS experience by teens and older women. I"m pretty sure that whoever alluded to the pill being given to this girl jump the gun by immediately thinking it was for sexual reasons. I had a close relative whose daughter had this problem and had to be taken to the emergency room for the first few months she got her periods shortly before turning 8. For years she had to be medicated and taken out of school to deal with it. while I'm not completely sure I gues she was put on the pill around 10 or so and she's has hasn't had any more severe problems like she did when she was younger. And if they can take something more natural with hopefully less possible sideeffects and unnedded extra medications.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Parents that condone their children having sex is depraved. Flame me if you will.

Its philosophies like this that keep families separated,

putting strict regimens on kids and having a "my way or the highway" attitude will either cause them to...

1. abandon their real self and obey, or

2. hide their real self from you and pretend to obey.

So my conclusion is that this is NOT appalling, sorry...but I agree that every one of these instances should be investigated, because its my belief that sexually abusing a child is the worst kind of evil...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The number of girls under the age of 13 in that sampling of 35,000 women, is highly insignificant.
In many states, the age of consent up until the late eighties and even late 90's was 14.
New Mexico used to be 13 at some time.

gasp

Consider states with low population, 50, 100, 200 years back, this "if you can bleed you can seed" standard pretty much stabilized their populations. Without such actions, how many of their fertile women would die before marrying, leave the state as soon as they were legally able, etc?

Now its pretty much standard 16 to 18. Which is weird, its 16 in New Jersey, go 12 miles into New York and its 18. Does travelling east a few miles suddenly de-mature you? Or turn a man into a viscious pervert? No, but the welfare burden of the state pretty much sets the logic behind the laws.

Anyway, we don't know the actual reasons that the 10 year olds got the pill, you can't assume they were all getting some elementary school action. That would be a prejudice.
My best guess would be they had hormone imbalances that needed regulating.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
Ehh? I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are children being hurt by people abusing them or by their doctors? Is this related to sex or to a child taking medications?

the main intent of my comment was to point out that i agree that it is none of our businesses. but my statement regarding hurting a child was directed towards this comment:

This also raises another question - is there child abuse going on with this?
What parents are allowing 10 year olds to have sex?

daved

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
taking the pill isn't immoral, it is used for other beneficial effects on women than contraceptive sex. And I think if a 10 yr old is having sex, they better be using the pill.

What I don't agree with is a 10 yr old having sex, it is disgusting and if a parent allowed such going ons to happen at this age they should be punished severely.

The pill aint immoral, its the 10 year old sex that is.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
taking the pill isn't immoral, it is used for other beneficial effects on women than contraceptive sex. And I think if a 10 yr old is having sex, they better be using the pill.

What I don't agree with is a 10 yr old having sex, it is disgusting and if a parent allowed such going ons to happen at this age they should be punished severely.

The pill aint immoral, its the 10 year old sex that is.

would you allow your 10 year old to have sex?
most sane parents WOULDN'T EITHER!!! I'd venture to guess that the number of parents who would allow it would be a great deal smaller than the number of 10 year olds taking the birth control pill...and well, they should probably be lock up in the psych ward somewhere.

"The study, covering more than 35,000 girls, found there were 23 aged
under 13 who had been given the pill either by family planning clinics or
GPs. Of those, two were aged 10. "

23 under the age of 13, 2 aged ten.....out of 35,000 girls!!!
and after repeated posts from people about the other health benefits of the pill, some are still trying to paint the ugliest picture possible about the pill...
just like they do with so many other areas of life they don't like.

so, okay, if your married, and your spouse decided that they just didn't want kids at the present time, are YOU willing to remain celebate until they decide the time is right? unless of course that is an inconvenient time for you, then will, remain celebate I guess.......or do just want women popping out babies one after the other. Because, well, I get the impression that it's the idea of controlling birth that you are having a problem with.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Indy, thank you for that information. Yes, I know that the pill
is sometimes used for acne clear up. But 10 year olds don't
normally have severe acne.

One of my good friends was shaving at the age of 11 so bad acne is possible isn't it?!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

10 year old girls on the pill

There is no way in hell - if I had a 10 yr old daughter - that I'd allow her to go on the pill!
That's insane and immoral. Unless for some bizarre health reason.

ok............step in to reality here friend.............you DON'T have a 10yr old daughter........you have NO IDEA what it would be like to have one nor be faced with things of that nature.

being on the pill does NOT give one a license to have sex. it DOES prevent pregnancy. so without knowing the circumstances surrounding the dr giving the child the pill then it would be difficult to second guess.

BUT there ARE 10yr olds having sex. its horrific to think about but it DOES happen. so if the child IS having sex then at least she is protected from pregnancy.......NOT STD's (sexually transmitted diseases) but at least she's protected from pregnancy.

i do NOT condone children having sex. but i HAVE worked in OB/GYN for 14yrs or more and i HAVE seen children come in...........the one that comes to mind was 12......she told the dr she was having sex........he talked w/her mother(who brought her in) and suggested birth control.........the mother took the exact same stance as you "NOT MY CHILD.....NO WAY.......SHE'S NOT HAVING SEX............and she's NOT going on the pill"

well guess what.............every afternoon..........while the mom was working.....the daughter and her boyfriend were getting VERY well aquainted...........needless to say the kid was back in the office within 6months and she was VERY pregnant.

so if a child IS having sex..........then they should be on birth control.

the best way to handle sex and the child would be an open dialogue between the parent and the child........on a regular basis LONG before the sex issue comes up..............teach her that her body is a precious gift....that she shouldn't be having sex..........until she's much older and can understand the ramifications of what she's doing........

again..........i do NOT condone children having sex...........but i've seen the end result of parents REFUSING to acknowledge what their sons and daughters ARE doing.............and one too many unwanted pregnancys....

that's my opinion.

no flaming of you east coast kid...........just an opposing view from someone who has seen it WAAAYYYY to many times.

angie

top topics

<<   2 >>

join