It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour MPs call on Blair to quit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Tony Blair has been urged to quit as prime minister before his third term ends, days after Labour's election win.

Despite securing a historic third victory, the government's Commons majority was slashed from 161 to 67.

Several Labour MPs have called for Mr Blair to resign as an electoral "liability", among them former health secretary Frank Dobson.

Downing Street said there had been "no change" since Mr Blair stated last year he would serve a full third term.

Mr Dobson, who served as health secretary in Mr Blair's first Cabinet, told GMTV's Sunday programme the prime minister should step down sooner rather than later.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
A small number of Labour MP's (and a couple of ex MP's) - many if not all of whom have made their anti-Blair 'stance' common knowledge long before now - have been attempting to capitalise on the last dregs of the election atmosphere to push their cause.

Give it a month and it'll be long forgotten as Parliament gets going again and the serious business recommences.

One should not forget that the big majorities of 1997 and 2001 brought with them many members of the 'awkward squad' who were not originally expected to be elected and that it is many of these people that have just failed to be reelected.

Blair's 67 majority is a long long way off of the disaster of Major's 21. Those expecting a similar kind of gov are in for a disappoinment IMO.

Blair having declared his intent to go is now a very very handy 'lightning rod' for Gordon Brown who will kept squeeky-clean by this convenient set of circumstances.
(Who in their right mind really thinks Brown would rush to power - which he is guaranteed anyway - with such a handy situation?)

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i can see Blair stepping down just yet, he intends to complete a full term and handing over before the next election. I cannot see a mass civil war within the labour party because i doubt that is what Brown wants.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well indeed infinite.

Just cos Robin Cook, Glenda jackson, Jeremy Corbyn or Frank Donson are doing the rounds of the TV and radio studios at the moment is absolutely no indication of the general mood within the Labour party.

Like I said it is many of those brought in by the 97 and 01 victories being far better than originally expected that have now gone.

I expect the party to actually work better in this coming Parliament because the numbers are lower, people will be consulted better from the outset and they will have to ensure wide debate and that as great an agreement is reached much earlier in the process.

It's supposedly what the public wanted, a chastened Labour gov, right?

Remember too that no matter who they are they all stood on a manifesto explicitly containing these so-called controversial measures some are claiming will cause such trouble in the new Parliament.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
i dont think this is what the UK people would want, a government in choas, it would result in the public feeling uneasy about the situation. I cant see Blair standing down and i think Brown is happy to wait, i doubt he would plan an uprising against Blair because i doubt that is what the Labour party wants, choas from within. It would give the tories fire power to show the public that labour are unfit for power.

Blair won't go

top topics

join