It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Population control....Your thoughts/ideas on when to implement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Population obviously isn't a large enough problem for the the average citizen to worry themselves over at the moment. We know to some extent whether true or not that the Gov't has plans for population control but we the people have rights that would supercede them from using them. My question to you is:

When should some sort of population control be started and what forms would you suggest to control the problem??

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There is no population problem.

More people = More Consumers = Great economies!

This is only true for advanced cultures. Third world, poor countries do have a problem though.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Economy will be the least of problems when over population occurs. Over population may not be an immediate problem now but will be sometime. What do we do about it when it occurs. Do we exterminate our wilderness and what lives there to make room for the ever growing human population? Without vegetation and animals the earth will die and so will millions of humans.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
Economy will be the least of problems when over population occurs. Over population may not be an immediate problem now but will be sometime. What do we do about it when it occurs. Do we exterminate our wilderness and what lives there to make room for the ever growing human population? Without vegetation and animals the earth will die and so will millions of humans.

Simpleminded people have always been worried about overpopulation. Ever heard of Thomas Mathus?

Have you ever drove across Texas? Ever looked down from a helicopter or airplane? There is so much room for growth and civilian expansion in the US it's not even funny.

Did you know there is more trees now than there where before Columbus stepped foot on this continent? It's simple, we put out forest fires now, who put them out when no one was here?

[edit on 8-5-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Simpleminded people have always been worried about overpopulation. Ever heard of Thomas Mathus?

Have you ever drove across Texas? Ever looked down from a helicopter or airplane? There is so much room for growth and civilian expansion in the US it's not even funny.

Did you know there is more trees now than there where before Columbus stepped foot on this continent? It's simple, we put out forest fires now, who put them out when no one was here?

THere is a problem. If the whole world lived like the US and Eourpe there would be a huge enviromentle problem. Yes there is a lot of space to build on, but not enough resources. We will be fine, but people will have to cut down on what they use. There will have to be some changes one day, things can not continue to go on like this.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Unlike some, I'm far from simple minded. I'm also not worried about over population as I won't be around to see it. I am however interested in what plans people would come up with to solve the population problem when the time occurs. How evil can we get?

Obviously there is still room for expansion. Any idiot can see that. But if you think that it will never be a problem in time, whether it be 100yrs or a 1000yrs then you my friend are simple minded.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
We will have to cut down on our water use. Fossil Fuels and waste. We will have to recycle.

No more living in access. Things would be fine if the goverment and its people lived smarter.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Unlike some, I'm far from simple minded. I'm also not worried about over population as I won't be around to see it. I am however interested in what plans people would come up with to solve the population problem when the time occurs. How evil can we get?

Obviously there is still room for expansion. Any idiot can see that. But if you think that it will never be a problem in time, whether it be 100yrs or a 1000yrs then you my friend are simple minded.

Once again I will bring up Thomas Malthus, who in the 1790's wrote of the evils of overpopulation. Yes, in the 1790's.
And people (simpleminded ones) are still going by his 1790's theories.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
So "your" thoughts are what? We simple minded folk don't comprehend your superior keen mind. Please enlighten us with your schematics on this.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yes, there is a lot of room. However, more than room is required to support human civilization. There has to be infrastructure or the people have to be trained and skilled at surviving without it. How about water?

Yep, lots of room, in the western USA especially, but very little water. Have any of you actually tried to plop your stuff down on 40 acres somewhere and sustain yourself without outside resources? If there is so much room, why aren't some of the people from the overly crowded urban areas out there populating these vacant places? (I know, some are, but not enough to make a dent).

The truth is, we as a society no longer produce people that are capable of supporting themselves without the trappings and assistance of civilization.

This fact limits where we can have people live. Therefore, we don't actually have as much useful room as we think.

Limited useful room + limited resources = limited sustainable population

[edit added:]

Oh, yeah. Population control is an ongoing process. War, disease, famine, natural disaster. The biggest problem with our civilization and our technology is that we can now break those rules and defy those processes with impunity, while the inevitable consequences stalk our descendants.

[edit on 8-5-2005 by Ambient Sound]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

Yes, there is a lot of room. However, more than room is required to support human civilization. There has to be infrastructure or the people have to be trained and skilled at surviving without it. How about water?

Yep, lots of room, in the western USA especially, but very little water. Have any of you actually tried to plop your stuff down on 40 acres somewhere and sustain yourself without outside resources? If there is so much room, why aren't some of the people from the overly crowded urban areas out there populating these vacant places? (I know, some are, but not enough to make a dent).

The truth is, we as a society no longer produce people that are capable of supporting themselves without the trappings and assistance of civilization.

This fact limits where we can have people live. Therefore, we don't actually have as much useful room as we think.

Limited useful room + limited resources = limited sustainable population

[edit added:]

Oh, yeah. Population control is an ongoing process. War, disease, famine, natural disaster. The biggest problem with our civilization and our technology is that we can now break those rules and defy those processes with impunity, while the inevitable consequences stalk our descendants.

[edit on 8-5-2005 by Ambient Sound]

What was here when the 1st settlers arrived? Nothing, big wide open spaces, looks like we did a good job settling back then. We are much more advanced now. So there is plenty room for growth. All we need is the "need" and it is available to us.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I don't see "population control", meaning the gov't controlling the number of children we have, happening in the U.S. anytime soon... possibly never. We already have some minor ways (by choice) to control our population now...birth control and abortion.

The global population is steadily climbing; right now we are at approx. 6.5 billion people, it’s estimated that by 2050 the world population will reach approx. 9.2 billion.

US Census Bureau - World Population 1950-2050

To say that we will eventually use up the all the world’s resources or that we will eventually run out of space may be a bit extreme BUT it’s still something to worry about b/c increased population does have an impact on poverty, disease, crime, the environment, world politics, etc.

What’s interesting is that while the world population steadily grows, the world growth rate seems to be in a steady decline. The main reason being that women seem to have less children these days (probably mainly due to birth control). Another big reason is AIDS, which accounts for a major population decline in Africa because of the lower life expectancy.

BBC - World Population Growth "Falling"

The world population continues to grow but at a much slower rate.

If you are interested in this topic, here's an informative site

Population Reference Bureau

[edit on 5/8/2005 by Lecky]

new topics

top topics

join