It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: German court bans neo-nazis' May 8 march around holocaust memorial

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Far-right National Democratic Party (NPD) of Germany has once again been in the news, this time about banning them from marching around Berlin's Holocaust memorial on May 8. In the Past, the NPD have protested numerous times against Jews and Turks in Germany.

news.xinhuanet.com
BERLIN, May 6 (Xinhuanet) -- Germany's highest court on Friday dismissed an appeal by the far-right National Democratic Party (NPD)to march around Berlin's Holocaust memorial on May 8.

German Interior Minister Otto Schily welcomed the decision, saying that it made neo-nazis unable to dishonor the remembrance of the six million Jews killed in the Holocaust.

Thousands of leftists would stage a rally around eastern Berlin' s main square Alexanderplatz to protest and block off NPD's planned march on May 8, local media reported.

Berlin authorities expected high tensions and confrontations between leftists and neo-nazis and planned to send thousands of police there, it reported.

Meanwhile, Berlin authorities will hold a two-day rallies titled"Democracy Day" around the Brandenburg Gate in central Berlin, marking the 60th anniversary of end of the WWII.

A law banning rallies by neo-Nazis in sensitive areas includingBerlin's Brandenburg Gate and the nearby Holocaust memorial took effect in March.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Im always happy to give my opinion, but sadly this is the first i have been left speechless. I cannot understand why a group would protest on a site that is a memorial to the death of 6 million people, people who didn't deserve to loose their lives. Sadly, the NDP is gaining support throughout Germany, just like the Nazi's did in the 1930's. Lets hope Germany doesn't repeat history again.

Related News Links:
www.wsws.org

[edit on 7-5-2005 by infinite]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Keep the 'deny of equal rights' flag flying and history may come back. Denial of rights that we disagree with denies rights to us all.
EVERYONE should be denied the same.

This memorial is to serve as a rememberance and no groups should be given the right to protest/march (for or against) at such a place.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
After Germany's experience with the Nazis the first time around, it suprises me they don't just unceremoniously shoot them, let alone let them have a march.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
its sad also, that this group is getting support.
I hope we dont see another rise in Nazism

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This seeems to happen quite regularly in Germany so it shouldn't come as a suprise. I worked with a guy from Cologne not so long ago and he was terribly apologetic for 'his country's behaviour during the war'...even though he was only 26!!!!!

Perhaps the institutionalisation of collective guilt will breed the attitudes that neo-nazis seem to adopt. I don't know.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   

After Germany's experience with the Nazis the first time around, it suprises me they don't just unceremoniously shoot them, let alone let them have a march.

You would think,
but sadly they haven't learned from the past and this group has the potential to gain ground.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Surely if history teaches us anything, it is that humans, generally, don't learn from history.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Actually I think groups like this should be allowed to express themselves so everyone can see just how ugly they are...if they are illegalized and pushed underground, they just become stronger.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer"

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Actually I think groups like this should be allowed to express themselves so everyone can see just how ugly they are...if they are illegalized and pushed underground, they just become stronger.

excellent point,
the less attention they get, the more underground they will go and more support they will gain

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
while I dont agree with their viewpoints, I dont think they should be banned to protest at a site because everyone should have the right to do so regardless of views.

That said, the holocaust memorial is a place of respect and ALL political marches should be banned and it should be kept just as a memorial.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
its crap sorry but why are the commies and the far left extremist allowed to and right winged not ... why are these people not allowed to remember ect in public... its discrimitanion ect. is this the democratic world we want not allowing the way they think???

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Personally I think the court should let the Nazi's ignorance shine for all to see.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Personally I think the court should let the Nazi's ignorance shine for all to see.

I have not looked at it that way, but I see your point.

Like whenever see them on TV or something I think Damn, these people are stupid. I wonder if they ever watch videos of themselvs acting a fool?
Reminds me of a David Chappelle episode

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
its crap sorry but why are the commies and the far left extremist allowed to and right winged not ...

Because they're NAZIS. They were marching around a holocaust memorial. Nazis killed 6 million jews. Discrimination? HA! They can go "think" somewhere else. Don't forget this is Germany, not America.

I'm all for freedom of speech....except for Nazis. Screw them. I don't think letting them march shows their ignorance to the world, I just think it makes Germany look bad. I'm glad those protesters stopped the march. Having a bunch of people, who outnumber the nazis, come out to stop them makes a much greater statement than allowing them to march around the holocaust memorial unopposed.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

i see your point,
the more attention they are given the more we will see their true colours and then we shall just ignore them. I cannot see them gaining support if they are giving mainstream attention because they won't be forced underground.

link   
triple post!!!
please delete this one please

[edit on 9-5-2005 by infinite]

link   
triple post!!!
please delete this one please

[edit on 9-5-2005 by infinite]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
its crap sorry but why are the commies and the far left extremist allowed to and right winged not ... why are these people not allowed to remember ect in public... its discrimitanion ect. is this the democratic world we want not allowing the way they think???

Sorry my friend, but freedom of speech and freedom to protest have limits. These ignorant punks are protesting in support of an evil movement that murdered millions of people and started the most horrendous war that this world has ever seen. They still have the right to protest, which is a tragedy in my view, but they cannot do it around a memorial to 6 million of the dead that were slaughtered by the movement which they stand for. Would you condone pedophiles protesting their rights around the gravesite of children killed by a child-rapist? By your definition of "democracy", maybe you would. I've held my tongue in this reply, so I'll direct my abuse at the neo-Nazis. NO, they can't protest there, and if they don't like it, every single should-have-been-aborted, small-penised one of the evil little turds can go and die in a septic tank where they belong with all the other human excrement.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well in the United States the limit to free speech and protest is pretty clearly delimited at the "clear and present danger" line at the extreme, but of course limiting anything disruptive of an official function or trespass. They should be allowed to protest near the site, but not in a way that would disrupt the official proceedings, trespass on private land, or of course cause a clear and present danger of inciting violence IMHO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join