It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoulder fired nukes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I was watching Starship Troopers the other day and one thing I noticed was that they were using shoulder fired tactical nukes...is that even possible? If someone can enlighten me i would be very thankful

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
some how i doubt that if u play mgs3 ull see that it needs to be fired forward reli fast like the speed of sound nd tht would probally rip ur arm off if they ever tired it

cool idea though

[edit on 7-5-2005 by tigb]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
well yea and if youre firing shoulder fired nukes youd have to fire a long way because of the blast and everything, then the radiation or fallout might get you....airburst would probably be best right?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.brook.edu...

Thats the closest thing ever created to a shoulder fired nuclear weapon but considering it weighed 76 pounds I doubt anybody was firing it from their shoulder. Only other man portable (usually in name only) is the MADM.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
I was watching Starship Troopers the other day and one thing I noticed was that they were using shoulder fired tactical nukes...is that even possible? If someone can enlighten me i would be very thankful

Here is a link to the Davy Crockett:

www.guntruck.com...

That's about as far as we've gone on the concept, and the site discusses why it's not the most effective application of special weapons.

In general, movies are a poor source for reality, video games are even poorer.

Dismissed.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Here ya go.

Tactical Nuclear weapons have been around for a long time. It is a concern that they are too easily stolen and they might be obtained by terrorists.

There are also many treaties covering such weapons. Another concern people have with them is that it allows theatre commanders to call for nuke strikes in desperation, which might cause massive retaliation.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
You found it, thank you, as I was looking for it and just couldn't locate it.
Now if I can find the earlier dated ATS thread on this same topic...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wont it be possible with the mysterious stuff Red Mercury or something?

top topics

join