It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'mocking' WWII ceremonies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Russian plans to mark 60 years since the end of World War II will make a mockery of the occasion, world leaders have been warned.

A group of politicians, academics and human rights campaigners have signed an open letter attacking Russia's record on democracy and political freedom.

They say official ceremonies to be held in Moscow undermine the memory of those who fought and died in the war.

Signatories include ex-Czech President Vaclav Havel and former US ambassadors.

Moscow has also upset neighbours Georgia, Estonia and Lithuania, who all plan to boycott Monday's ceremonies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

JAK

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think it might benifit certain peoples to remember that were it not for the sacrifice of it's children that Russia gave in the second world war there might not be an occasion to be celebrated at all.

Rumours abound amongst the Russian population about the actual number of people who died in WWII. Most experts put the figure at around 20 million Russian military & civilians killed, there is mention that 10 million might be added to this list.

I think they might, just might, have the right to mark this ocasion.

Jack

[edit on 7/5/05 by JAK]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Your imput or opinion on this "old-timer-I should know better" is, infinite?
This may be an interesting read?
U.S. AND RUSSIA HAVE NO REASON TO ARGUE...

seekerof

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Your imput or opinion on this "old-timer-I should know better" is, infinite?
This may be an interesting read?
U.S. AND RUSSIA HAVE NO REASON TO ARGUE...

seekerof

old timer lol
anyways, it seems a lot of interesting news has been coming out of Russia laterly and i feel that the wings of communism may be falling once again on Russia. If this event is indeed "mocking", then its highly insulting to the many that died during the war.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The problem is that the end of WWII isn't that great of a thing for the Baltic states and Eastern Europe since they only swapped one dictator (Hitler) for another (Stalin). Putin's recent comments about how the collapse of the Soviet Union was a horrible event and his refusal to apologize for Russian domination of Eastern Europe post-WWII doesn't help mend fences with the now free democratic nations of that region.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The problem is that the end of WWII isn't that great of a thing for the Baltic states and Eastern Europe since they only swapped one dictator (Hitler) for another (Stalin). Putin's recent comments about how the collapse of the Soviet Union was a horrible event and his refusal to apologize for Russian domination of Eastern Europe post-WWII doesn't help mend fences with the now free democratic nations of that region.

agreed.
It seems Russia is creating many problems in Europe now and i feel that we may see the coming of another type of Soviet body.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
you people are full of $hit, it is you psuedo liliputian neo-nazi "nations" who are mocking it
, these american made puppets can boycot russia all they want, their people (georgia, ukraine etc) now live in darkness cause of it

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What is there to mock? They nearly got owned by the Nazis.

So they want to mock their own people....

Stalin killed how many of his own? kay thanks.

ps: have the balls to say #, don't put $, cause you'll still get in same amount of warn

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
What is there to mock? They nearly got owned by the Nazis.

So they want to mock their own people....
what?

Stalin killed how many of his own? kay thanks.
all of them deserved to be killed, nazi collaborators, spies and trators, and no he didn't murder 3452345234523452 million raped jesus and murdered your dog, without his actions the war would of been lost

ps: have the balls to say #, don't put $, cause you'll still get in same amount of warn

i thought it was censored

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Let see Stalin was horrid at tactics he didn't start winning until he started letting his generals do the work, Hitler made the mistake of attacking during winter, but not like it matters.

Hilter just was fighting on too many fronts imo. But go head defend Stalin if you like, as for Russia mocking, I could care less, a lot of Russians died because Stalin didn't value their lives. But hey, you got all the answers right?

www.hawaii.edu...

3452345234523452 million raped jesus and murdered your dog, without his actions the war would of been lost

And that was just retarded.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Pardon me if I dont take the estonians too seriously in regards to "mocking" the memory of those who fell in WWII. These are the same people who brought us the SS memorial of Parnu. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and it was removed but that fact that there even had to be a debate over its appropriateness is very telling.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The Russian army was made up of mostly scared children forced to fight without knowing anything about advanced field tactics or in some cases, basic rifle skills. There is a reason why they use the term "meatgrinder" to describe their battle. Sheer numbers and the advantage of the harsh Russian winter helped them win.

Of course, the fact that Hitler was dying of Parkinson's disease and was trying as fast as he could to conquer the world before croaking didn't help either.

Stalin was a master manipulator. He was able to get people to die for him, that was his only skill.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Kai-Raega]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think its disgusting to boycott the remembrance of so many young men who died in Russia against Nazi Germany. They were the main force to stop Hitlers armies, facing 228 German divisions compared to the allies 58 on their way to V-E day.

Time to put politics aside and respect the brave and dead IMO.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
Pardon me if I dont take the estonians too seriously in regards to "mocking" the memory of those who fell in WWII. These are the same people who brought us the SS memorial of Parnu. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and it was removed but that fact that there even had to be a debate over its appropriateness is very telling.

No one with a double-digit IQ takes the state-controlled BBC seriously but the comments of some Baltic people makes my skin crawl.
Maybe getting 2hrs sunlight a day does this to you.

skyscrapercity.com...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I have a lot of dislike for the current Russian regime. However, calling the celebrations "mockery" is completely uncalled for.

One could equally argue that the UK and others had acquiesced to the German annexation of the Czech territories at the break of WWII. I don't hear from Mr.Gavel any condemnation of the British role in the tragedy that then unfolded.

The Baltics were indeed cought between the rock and the hard place, and suffered under Stalin. I think though that the collective guilt is balanced out by their having various SS-honoring societies and memorials installed. I mean come on, trying to make Russians feel guilty and honouring your SS-brethren hardly makes any sense at all.

And Georgia should really shut up as its current Govt. has no real domestic agenda and all it can do it make populists gestures like boycotting May 9th.

[edit on 9-5-2005 by Aelita]

top topics

join