It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's 10:05... Your Under Arrest Kid!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by victor was right
"What is wrong with curfew laws? Hopefully you arent a parent because you dont hold the appropiate morals."

what's wrong with curfew laws?? you silly goose, because they seek to alienate me from what i HOPE you agree is an inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

is it allright with you if certain people choose to pursue happiness after the curfew starts? and, if they interpet that term "liberty" to mean the simple freedom to go OUTDOORS onto the same street their parents tax dollars are subsidizing the upkeep of?

you are anti-libertarian. there are already laws against all the things delinquent kids do, but government lovers like YOU believe we don't have ENOUGH government authority in our lives and so you endorse these taliban-like legistlation laws.

i think it's just another shameless money grab by the state, disguised as "our wonderful government having our best interest in mind"

.....i wonder how much the fine is for violations???

Some laws are made for the good of society. There is nothing good about minors being out after a certain hour. If it legitimate, then it is allowed, ie. work.

Other laws that involve restricting minors include smoking, drinking, driving, gambling, voting, and scores of others.

To live in a civilzed society, restrictions on minors is a must.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Teenagers have no place being out past 10:30 (Which is the curfew in my town for teenagers) on schoolnights.

Ok, just for clarification....Does teenagers include those who are 18 and 19 years old?

Cause they should not be effected by the laws!

Overall this is bad, and the sad thing is these laws are not out into place where they need them most.....some places put them into law as a "prevention" tool to stop what migtht come about. Look at the cities with all the real garbage living and polluting it's streets....they do not have curfews!

I agree with curfews....I someone, adult or teen has proven to be a problem with grades, crime anything than yes they should be giving a curfew. But a good teen that abides the law should be able to play street hockey with his friends at 1130 pm if he wants to.

All teens starts off with no curfew.....If you cause problems then you deserve a curfew.!!! BOTTOM LINE!!!

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
They are also enforcing curfews for certain age here in australia. some are crying fowl but it seems the majority agree, kids belong at home at night.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sorry kids. I know ya hate it, but oh well. Thats why your a minor. You dont get to make the rules. Maybe one day, when your older and have your front window broken to the tune of $1500.or your new car keyed, you'll understand. It isnt a law meant to lock up kids comin home from work on a friday night. Its meant to be enforced when neccesary. And Im all for it. Should nail the neglegent parents to.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yes, we all know criminals follow the law....... NOT!

It's like gun laws, but the point of being a criminal is to break the law, therefor a law won't stop them. A law only affects people who follows the law....

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Sorry kids. I know ya hate it, but oh well. Thats why your a minor. You dont get to make the rules. Maybe one day, when your older and have your front window broken to the tune of $1500.or your new car keyed, you'll understand. It isnt a law meant to lock up kids comin home from work on a friday night. Its meant to be enforced when neccesary. And Im all for it. Should nail the neglegent parents to.

Ah, but what would you say when the cops showed up at your house one day and said that there was some suspected terrorist activity in the neighborhood, and you need to be in your home by ten, regardless of how old you are. That's the root of it. Harm. I'm not saying that kids don't break the law, hell presidents and doctors break the law, what i'm saying is this is a trend in our state and federal legislatures, a rapidly developing one, and sets a dangerous precedent of government involvement in what is clearly a family matter, families that pay the taxes to pave the streets. Yes hold the parents accountable, but you don't assume the kids are criminals before they step out of the door, that is what I'm getting at. Seems to me these kids are under house arrest after 10:00pm, guilty of thought crimes.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Remember the ads that ran on TV many, many years ago that mentioned:
"It's past 10:00pm. Do you know where your kids are tonight?"

seekerof

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
EXCUSE ME

But like spliff4020 pointed out, If you are under the age of 18 then you are a minor in the eyes of the law.

Should two year olds be allowed to run free at midnight?

How about 10 year olds?

Being 16 of 17 don't mean crap.

you are a minor. Part of learning to be an adult is understand thatthere are legal limits to your behavior.

[edit on 8-5-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
you know i actualy have to wonder how many of those that are discussing these laws actualy know if they even have such a law. i for one along with everyone i talked to of my agegroup at the time had apsolutely no idea that there was a curfew law in effect at the time. it was 2 weeks before my sixteenth birthday, i was on the way home from work (even they had no idea). i got pulled over on my bike because since i had a light on my bike i had to be a kid. i was asked what i was doing out so late. that was easy i told them i was comeing home from work. the cop checked out my "file" found out i was not a trubble teen, and let me go with a warning about being out after curfew. the curfew was that after 11pm no person under 16 was to be out without an adult. first anyone i knew had even heard about it.

what are some of the reasons for a law such as this? well one reason discussed is to keep bored kids from committing crimes and vandalisim. also it can help with things such as runaways, a cop sees a young person and therfore since a law is broken can find out why the kid is out so late. so much better for all involved before something possibly bad can happen to the kid in question. it can keep child prostitution down as well. trust me i live in an area with plenty of prostitutes and business pickes up after 11pm for them. it can combat some drinking problems, as most bush parties happen late at night. also kids who have been kicked out and have nowhere to go can be helped, lets be honest how many kids would have somewhere safe to go , or would seek help except from friends? there are many benifets to a curfew. so there is some small rights being taken away. what is there for a teen to realy do at night that is not blaitantly illigal or can cause harm to someone? includeing harm to said child? there is realy no need for a kid to be out at such a time. and seriously how many parrents who truly care about their kids would allow it in the first place? yes parrents SHOULD be responsible for their childen but how many actualy are?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I really don't think it's right to take away a basic Human freedom because parents and the police cannot do their job correctly.
I always understood it is the police forces' job to maintain public safety.
If there is a bunch of teenagers running around at night causing trouble then obviously there is a problem. Not with teenagers but with, like it's been mentioned already, parents and the police.
We are constantly bailing out the basement but we never fix the holes in the roof. Why is that? Are the authorities stupid? Is it done like that to eradicate crime and keep the population safe? No, it's done like that for the purpose of control. The authorities are not here to protect you they're here to control you. They need the criminals, in this case teenagers, because it is a very good form of income. In many ways.
If they really wanted to eradicate wild behaviour they could do it without using a fancy word for government ordered home detention.
The Nazi's put a curfew on the Jews in Poland, 1939, and there was outrage. The U.S. put a curfew on Japanese Americans in California, 1942, and there was outrage. And now we do the same to our kids and it's excepted.
Who's next?

Man, they really have got you all begging for totalitarianism.

The real goal is population control, not public safety.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Does anyone else here besides me shudder at the thought of a 16 year old out on the street, alone at night?

Maybe it is just the parent in me.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Not like it's unsafe, or the fact that night is when most crimes occur...

I love these people, screaming about how it's a basic, inailiable right for kids to do what they want, went they want. It's the police's fault they're not everywhere at once! It's the police's fault kids don't have limits, or parents have their heads up their asses!

Ahh, anok. Why don't you break a law, relax, and fund organized crime with a big, fat joint. Taking tools away from police only HELPS them! It doesn't matter that the age group MOST likely to commit crimes are males between 16 and 24!

DE

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
yes there should be restrictions on behavior.....but where should they come from?? government authority, or from the self-discipline that results from good parenting and character development?

i don't care if kids are out late, i only care what they're up to....it's a shame that there are nice neighborhoods where kids CAN ride bikes at 11 or 12 o'clock.... but thanks to the curfew nonsense them and their parents would be made criminals for doing that.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Not like it's unsafe, or the fact that night is when most crimes occur...

I love these people, screaming about how it's a basic, inailiable right for kids to do what they want, went they want. It's the police's fault they're not everywhere at once! It's the police's fault kids don't have limits, or parents have their heads up their asses!

Like I said it's also the parents fault. My point is the government always conveniently finds a way to use something people are scared of to enact more laws to restrict movement. It's really irrelevant that at this point it's kids they're restricting. It is relevant that it's another law enacted to restrict freedom of movement.
You seem to approve of this behaviour yet I am pretty sure you believe you live in a free country right, Dues?
Or is it just freedom for those we deem fit?

Throughout history people under 16 have been allowed out of doors after midnight. Also throughout history adults have been allowed out after midnight. Throughout history which group has done the most damage to Human safety?
And BTW it's you that sounds like they're screaming. Predictable, can't see the forest, reactionary screaming.

Ahh, anok. Why don't you break a law, relax, and fund organized crime with a big, fat joint. Taking tools away from police only HELPS them! It doesn't matter that the age group MOST likely to commit crimes are males between 16 and 24!

Are you making the assumption that I support criminal activities because I don't see the wisdom in your government enforced control?
Like I said in my first post, this curfew is not about protecting the population it's about control of the population.
There are better ways to enforce the law than locking everybody up.
Who's next?

If we keep on bailing out the basement without fixing the holes then eventually we are gonna drown in our own #...

I know you've seen this before but maybe you forgot:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I love when kids get all snotty and think they know the law....

Remember...YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS !!!! YOUR A MINOR...DEAL WITH IT..

It seems you only want to be a minor when you get CAUGHT..Then its "oh he's just a kid.."nonsense...Kids dont need to be on their bikes at midnight. Kids need to understand that cops have enough to deal with at night, let alone worry about these things runnin around.

I work nights and drive home everynight arounfd 1 or 2 am. I constantly get followed by cops. I see drunks everywhere. Its not a nice time of the day, and at age 15 or 16, you dont belong there.

This may seem unfair to you, but oneday, when your OLDER, you will understand. Now go to bed...you got school in the morning..

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
this is exactly like the city i live in. Except in the city I live in they will definitely arrest you because the police have nothing better to do except be arrogant assholes. Actually they aren't assholes, I guess, they are doing their job correctly, which is a refresher!

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Like I said it's also the parents fault. My point is the government always conveniently finds a way to use something people are scared of to enact more laws to restrict movement. It's really irrelevant that at this point it's kids they're restricting. It is relevant that it's another law enacted to restrict freedom of movement.
You seem to approve of this behaviour yet I am pretty sure you believe you live in a free country right, Dues?
Or is it just freedom for those we deem fit?

Oh noes, not our freedom of movement! Really, the legit reasons for a fifteen year old to be walking around are pretty few. This isn't about freedom, it's about irresponsibility. When I was that age, I wasn't out at those times, even during the summer, because there was no good reason to be. I approve of this behavior because I can see the reasoning behind it, and because I respect rule of law. Face the facts- you have a time when criminal acts are more likely to occur, so why not try to prevent crime by not giving people an opportunity to actually COMMIT those crimes? To me, there is little difference between having the freedom to do soemthing and not doing it, and not having that liberty at all.

Throughout history people under 16 have been allowed out of doors after midnight. Also throughout history adults have been allowed out after midnight. Throughout history which group has done the most damage to Human safety?
And BTW it's you that sounds like they're screaming. Predictable, can't see the forest, reactionary screaming.

Throughout history, it's been proven that people are idiots. They are irresponsible, violent, and greedy. Especially so are the youth of any given age. Fact of the matter is that most adults don't abuse the priviledge, and neither do the elderly. Like I said, the age group most likely to commit criminal offences are males between the ages of sixteen and twenty-four, so any method to deter this age group from emerging at a high risk time will drop the crime rate. The fact that your argument centers on comparing 'adults' - a relatively large group of people who contribute to society, and are thought of as being capable of making decisions for themselves- and minors, who are in the laws eye, immature. The gross size difference is also an issue, sicne an adult is anyone between 18 and 65. Look at the stastics: by far, the most likely offenders are those between 15-19, followed by those between 20-29. It is also interesting that the msot common victims of firearm homicide are those between the ages of 18-24.

LINK: caag.state.ca.us...

Are you making the assumption that I support criminal activities because I don't see the wisdom in your government enforced control?
Like I said in my first post, this curfew is not about protecting the population it's about control of the population.
There are better ways to enforce the law than locking everybody up.
Who's next?

I am making the assumption that you support criminal activity because you are clearly against any police or governmental control on the citizenry. yes, there is a control fact involved in a curfew, but fact of the matter is that a certain amount of control is needed. Control is the basis of society. There are better ways to enforce the law, I'm sure. We just either haven't found them, or can't use them.

If we keep on bailing out the basement without fixing the holes then eventually we are gonna drown in our own #...

Why not pick out the people reveling in it? People profit every day from suffering. You won't get chopped out for your shoes in broad daylight, and bikers and gangs wouldn't have so much money if people would stop buying drugs. Society is going down the tubes because no one is willing to take any responsibility, and all pass the buck. Eventually, it ends up in the government's lap. The police have to take up the slack because wants to get out and get drunk in the dead of night, and yet they are the bad ones. Why not actually say "Yes, I'm a parent, my kids should be home by a certain time. "

I know you've seen this before but maybe you forgot:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Yeah, really, that would apply if we were living in a fascist state. I'm sorry to ruin your whole anarchist paradigm, but this is the West. Democracy. Police aren't dragging people out of their homes and shooting them. There is no ethnic cleansing. There is no Hitler youth, and book burning only happens in the South. What we've become is a society of loudmouth whiners. Spare the rod, spoil the child works on a societal level too.

DE

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
If the law really does help the good of all concerned, then that's fine. There has been curfue laws around here for years. Does this mean I want complete Police controll? No, not at all. When laws become a hinderance to us, then that's when there is a problem. Truthfully, when I was a young kid, I went to bed around 9 or 10. As I got older the restrictions were loosened. It caused me no harm to have a curfue. Now, I didn't like it sometimes, but it didn't hurt me.

Does this mean kids don't have rights? Sure, they have rights. I've seen some young kids who were more "grown up" than some older folks. But it can be a dangerous world out there. A kid can be easy prey, and it's probably a good thing anyway to have your kids in, as a safety measure. Night time is an easier time for a predator to hide. That doesn't mean there are predators around every corner, but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side, especially if you live in a rough neighborhood.

Troy

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
You mean, "...you're...", rather than "..your...."? I hope you aren't teaching them grammar at 2200hrs!

Sorry, I know that was mean, but I couldn't help it. Please, forgive me for not being sensitive.

There needs to be more information, obviously. Is there a noise problem, a crime problem, a delinquency problem in your town? Many more questions have to be answered before I weigh in one one side of the other.

I will say this, though; juvenile curfews have been around for a long, long time. While I usually err on the side of individual rights, it must be pointed out that juveniles do not have such rights and the municipality may enforce such city ordinances without violating the constitution. Fact of the matter is, kids should have discipline and be under supervision instead of running the streets after a decent hour. They are not mature enough to stay out of trouble.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
You mean, "...you're...", rather than "..your...."? I hope you aren't teaching them grammar at 2200hrs!

Sorry, I know that was mean, but I couldn't help it. Please, forgive me for not being sensitive.

There needs to be more information, obviously. Is there a noise problem, a crime problem, a delinquency problem in your town? Many more questions have to be answered before I weigh in one one side of the other.

I will say this, though; juvenile curfews have been around for a long, long time. While I usually err on the side of individual rights, it must be pointed out that juveniles do not have such rights and the municipality may enforce such city ordinances without violating the constitution. Fact of the matter is, kids should have discipline and be under supervision instead of running the streets after a decent hour. They are not mature enough to stay out of trouble.

Ain't that the truth. They aren't imposing a curfew on adults, to do something like that would be ludacris, and would cause quite an uproar in the Land that is known as America!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join