It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's 10:05... Your Under Arrest Kid!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Who the hell do these people think they are? Curfew laws? I don't let my kids roam the streets all night, BUT it isn't because they don't have the right to if I am ok with it. This is little ridiculous, you could literally be arrested if they find your kid on a public sidewalk at 10:05 PM.

www.wtov9.com...
'It started out with the neighborhood watches in Warwood, we had so much vandalism, kids running in the streets at all hours getting into trouble and parents not knowing where they were," said Wheeling City Councilwoman, Gloria Delbrugge.
The wheeling curfew says anyone under 18 is not allowed on streets and alleyways past 10 on school nights and 11 on Fridays and Saturdays. The schools sent out letters warning parents that is their responsibility.

The first time a child is caught violating the law their parent's will receive a letter. After that the parent could be arrested on a misdemeanor charge.

The inherent harm well hidden behind the concerns of an apparent BusyBody town councilman here is that they use this to curb crime, well, say you live in a high crime area, your town might decide to keep you indoors, age regardless. People have a by god right to use the streets and sidewalks, I have walked home from late night jobs many times in my youth, and I'd be GD'mned if some cop would have arrested me for walking down the street, I don't care what time it is.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Yeah, despite the pro's and con's on this issue, lets have those 140+ cities that do have curfew laws simply get rid of them. That will be just great would it not?

Personally, I agree....
Let's dump all the teenage curfew laws and simply replace them with strict and enforced parental responsibility laws, where the parents are held responsible for thier kids being out "running in the streets at all hours getting into trouble" violating laws, ordinances, and committing crimes. I'm sure that after they do some jail time or pay some hefty fines, they will get a better handle on their kids, won't they?

Down with curfew laws and up with enforced strict parental responsibility laws.

seekerof

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Sweet mother of Jeanette, I agree with Seekerof.

What next, America becoming civilized?

At any rate, I'm a night owl too. I'd hate to have night taken away from me... but then again, I'm guessing 70% of the kids out at that time are up to no good, negligent, intoxicated, or just plain stupid. It would do well to have parental enforcement laws, in addition to the harshening of juvenile penalties. It's one thing to be an idiot at 15, and bust some windows and get caught. It's another to be drunk or stoned out of your mind every night of the week and prowling for more bud at 2 am.

DE

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Isnt this kind of thing unconstitutional?

They, the kids I mean. should protest, by all staying out after the unconstitutional curfew, if there is enough, they, the police or whoever, would have a very difficult time.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Seekerof, How about one better? Lets not do away with the curfew (I do support curfews) but lets go ahead and enforce parental responsibilitues laws.
We do need to get rid of a few laws that ham-string parnets on this issue first.
Curfews have been around for teenagers for ever it seems. Many cities communities are not only protecting themselves and their constituents but als enforcing what most parents do already and not allow thier kids out to roam the night. It is not only for the safety of others but also for the safety of the kids themselves.
I do enjoy the twist that they have here in this story, the parents being arrested! I will back that any day.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Isnt this kind of thing unconstitutional?

They, the kids I mean. should protest, by all staying out after the unconstitutional curfew, if there is enough, they, the police or whoever, would have a very difficult time.

Curfews are Constitutional. The Constitution is a great document, you should try reading it one day.

If a minor is simply walking home from work after hours, he will not be hauled to jail. When specific curfew laws are written, they always take into account certain circumstances.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I have read the US constitution, and nowhere does it state anything about curfews.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I have read the US constitution, and nowhere does it state anything about curfews.

Exactly! And what does the Constitution say about what is not specifically stated in the Constitution?... It is left up to the states!

Process is being made....

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I personaly dont think its right, god created us to be free.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Curfew laws are legit.

Teenagers have no place being out past 10:30 (Which is the curfew in my town for teenagers) on schoolnights.

They have school the next day so there is no reason they need to be out.

Besides I beleive you can get permission from the police department if you have an emergency reason.

This is in the United States.

I totally agree with curfew laws.

If your an adult you dont have a curfew I beleive, but maybe. If there is it is much later in the night.

What is wrong with curfew laws? Hopefully you arent a parent because you dont hold the appropiate morals.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JadeRio
I personaly dont think its right, god created us to be free.

So we shouldn't have jails because they're not free? We should be able to drive by and shoot the hell out of a rival gang because we should be free?

Anyway, curfews are stupid. The kids will be smart about it, and so will the adults. I've spent some time in curfew towns, and I've never kept to it. If you're walking back the three blocks from the movies, no one's gonna stop you. Curfews are meant to give the law something to do to people who drive around making noise and being asses at midnight, yet never do anything serious enough to warrant anything other than a stern look which they'll laugh off.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
you are aware that words police watch (or clock) come to mind. I think when this starts you can be pretty shure you are living in a police state.

Does anyone think theyre going to eventually up it up by enforcing it on everybody?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

What is wrong with curfew laws? Hopefully you arent a parent because you dont hold the appropiate morals.

What is wrong is that they limit a persons movements.

I'll have you know I am aparent, and my morals are just fine, and besides, who are you tell me whats moral?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Teenagers have no place being out past 10:30 on schoolnights.

Well that has got to be one of the most brash and incorrect things I have ever heard, of course they should be able to go out after 10:30pm, schoolnight or not.

It hinders your freedom of movement, for one.
If you were talking to jaderio when saying you hope she is'nt a parent, well, I'll have you know she is a very good parent, and it is rude to tell someone they dont have the correct morals to be a parent, where do you get off telling people whats moral and whats not.?.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The main issue here, at least for me, is that you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty in this country, laws like this assume you are a criminal first. If teenagers break the law, sure arrest them, but telling them they have to stay off public streets or sidewalks because they MIGHT commit a crime? What if you want to walk down the street at 10:05 pm? Just because you are out late at night, you are deemed a criminal, so what is it, guilt by association now? Assume everyone is a criminal after 10:00 pm? That doesn't cut it with me. I have kids, two of them teenagers, and I don' t have a bit of problem in the world with my kids being out at night beacue I have good kids, and I'm the parent, not some busy body town councilman. We pay for these streets and sidewalks, we pay the salaries of the police and busybodies, so who's street is it anyway?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Bravo twitchy.

You have voted twitchy for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hey, your kid might be golden, but the sixteen year old pothead jsut cruising the streets at two in the morning needs to be taken off the streets.

It's not about stealing your freedom, it's about preventing idiots from abusing it. Face it, it's not about innocence or guilt, it's jsut a smart way to prevent crimes like vandalism.

DE

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Im with XX, im a student and i don't mind these curfews. There isn't much to do at midnight just go to partys full of drugs and vandalize the city. At our age not much is going on at 12 am.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
"What is wrong with curfew laws? Hopefully you arent a parent because you dont hold the appropiate morals."

what's wrong with curfew laws?? you silly goose, because they seek to alienate me from what i HOPE you agree is an inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

is it allright with you if certain people choose to pursue happiness after the curfew starts? and, if they interpet that term "liberty" to mean the simple freedom to go OUTDOORS onto the same street their parents tax dollars are subsidizing the upkeep of?

you are anti-libertarian. there are already laws against all the things delinquent kids do, but government lovers like YOU believe we don't have ENOUGH government authority in our lives and so you endorse these taliban-like legistlation laws.

i think it's just another shameless money grab by the state, disguised as "our wonderful government having our best interest in mind"

.....i wonder how much the fine is for violations???

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
yes a curfew is unconstitutional for the most part; as it a curfew...
its one step away from Marshall Law

Just one step away yall....thats how close we are to total lockdown

It is sad that people here think they have a right to make a decision ; that will Limit Other peoples freedom.

How dare you! You have no Right to make a law that limits someone elses freedom to walk down the street.

So what about crime? This bandaid wont stop crime i promise.
The criminal doesnt care about your laws anyways; especially your weak curfew! HES A CRIMINAL; he commits CRIME; therefore he is already disreguarding your rules and laws.
A curfew only affects and hurts law abiding people.
Criminals will go outside at night anyways; as they have no regaurd for the law anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join