It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The worlds only modern amphibious tank

page: 2
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter


Yes they do and these tanks will sink anyways.

[edit on 5/7/05 by jetsetter]


Give me a link showing me they do...

did you even read the link I provided?




posted on May, 7 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siroos
China is the super power of the future and we will see a lot of positive things happening there in the next decade which will have a great impact on the whole world. China will be the leading power of the so called new emerging "Silk Road World Powers" (China, Iran, India)



iran is about as "emerging world power" as i am a cosmonaut
, technology is the future, iran lacks it, if it won't catch up in another 10 years it is doomed middle eastern carpet hole.



posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Taiwan has it's own well equipped helicopter force to deal with just this.



posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
As of 2005 Taiwans air force has has 35 transport Helicopters

Taiwans army has 220 ground attack/recon and transport helicopters of which 62 are attack helicopters

The helicopter brigades are made up of a combination of CH-47SD Chinook transport helicopters, AH-1W SuperCobra attack helicopters, OH-58D Kiowa armed observation helicopters, and UH-1H Huey transport helicopters.

most will be destroyed on the ground in the initial cruise missile bombardment... I would hardly call it a potent force even at full strength



[edit on 7-5-2005 by Lucretius]



posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
taiwan has no chance against the mainland.



posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Agreed but America would be the problem but that is if the war happens at all, most likely won't.



posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
Agreed but America would be the problem but that is if the war happens at all, most likely won't.

so lets cross over finger and expect it same



posted on May, 8 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius

Originally posted by jetsetter


Yes they do and these tanks will sink anyways.

[edit on 5/7/05 by jetsetter]


Give me a link showing me they do...

did you even read the link I provided?


They do have Hellfire. Also, when ever amphibious tanks have been used in combat they usually sink to the bottom. It only takes one mistake and one medium wave to take those things out.



posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   


They do have Hellfire. Also, when ever amphibious tanks have been used in combat they usually sink to the bottom. It only takes one mistake and one medium wave to take those things out.


I am asuming that you are referring to WW2, as the last main battle where amphibious tanks where used, if this is the case, I am worried as that is your only frame of reference, as there have been many technological advances, from armour to power plants to weapon systems, the USMC use Amphibious APCs as their primary battle taxi. This forms of tanks should not be under esitmated, sure soviet designs aren't the best in the world, but they are designed to last and to attack in large numbers, the chinese just have to pump out a few hundred on mass and attack one or two bridge heads, I can tell you this, the taiwanese are going to run out of men and missiles before the chinese run out of tanks.

Plus, you fail to realise in what situation these suckers would be employed, they won't be storming the beach on their own, this is my idea of how they would be used:

#fest 1: The chinese launch 5+ specops groups against the taiwan navy, taking out the fast attack boats and the heavies if possible for [0200] The Chinese use their missile batteries [Start time: 0200] to take out the airdefense network, hitting airfields and aircraft on the ground, select one beach head, launch attacks along the coast in different locations with their attack fighters, from about [0220] with them have their transport aircraft drop some of their elite units of the airbourne to secure the beachhead for the landings at [0300] start the landings.

These tanks won't be on their own, they will be supported by air units and missiles, lets face it the chinese do have the numbers, the taiwanese will blow alot out of the water, but they just won't be able to hold them back.

Chinese believe in the soviet doctine of combined arms, they will throw EVERY thing at you all at once and for a soldier without armour support, I don't care if its a sherman coming at me, there are going to be stains in my underwear.

- Phil



posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siroos
China is the super power of the future and we will see a lot of positive things happening there in the next decade which will have a great impact on the whole world. China will be the leading power of the so called new emerging "Silk Road World Powers" (China, Iran, India)


Siroos, you might make a mistake, china won't be as nice as USA will be, well at least china will have a better chance at conquering the world than the US will ever be assuming no nukes. and i don't think iran will be a superpower anytime in the future... even if we give iran about 100 years it won't be able to catch up to china or india, they are glowing faster than iran is. US might fall in the future but it will just turn into something else, that assume if nukes won't fly.



posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius


To prepare for a possible amphibious assault on Taiwan Island, the PLA requested a new amphibious tank that can be launched from tank landing ships over 10km offshore and reach the shore at a high speed (14km/h).





That means at distances over 10km. the tanks would take almost an hour to get to shore!!
What the anti-air abilities of this tank? Im sure they'd be at their weakest (along with firecontrol) when in water..
In that one hour it took them to get to shore those tanks would be easy meat for the taiwanese apache fleet..or is it cobra??

They have an amazing attack chopper fleet though..
One of the highest state of alerts of chopper fleets in the world..



posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow



Siroos, you might make a mistake, china won't be as nice as USA will be, well at least china will have a better chance at conquering the world than the US will ever be assuming no nukes. and i don't think iran will be a superpower anytime in the future... even if we give iran about 100 years it won't be able to catch up to china or india, they are glowing faster than iran is. US might fall in the future but it will just turn into something else, that assume if nukes won't fly.


I think he meant it more as an axis of nations allied to form a superpower entity..

The more recent axis proposed and publicised/coaxed by the russians is Russia-china-india-iran-brazil..
china though has probs with russia and india..

[edit on 9-5-2005 by Daedalus3]



posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3





That means at distances over 10km. the tanks would take almost an hour to get to shore!!
What the anti-air abilities of this tank? Im sure they'd be at their weakest (along with firecontrol) when in water..
In that one hour it took them to get to shore those tanks would be easy meat for the taiwanese apache fleet..or is it cobra??

They have an amazing attack chopper fleet though..
One of the highest state of alerts of chopper fleets in the world..


Like I stated before... Taiwan has a fleet of 62 cobra attack helicopters...

Not exactly the most potent force... and then you have to consider a few will be out for maintinance... many will be destroyed on the ground in the initial cruise missile bombardment.

There really isn't going to be a helicopter force left after the missile strikes and arial bombing has ended.



posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
but still.. taking one hour to get to shore is quite pathetic..

if we take speeds of 14 kph like you said, they'd take, what, 15 mts to get ashore from a distance of 3-4km..?
Enough time for foot soldiers on the beach to take em out with shoulder fired projectiles!!

Still sounds very illogical the whole thing..



posted on May, 9 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Lets see, you have ships, subs, helicopters, attack and fighter jets. They will all be aiming for those tanks if they start for Taiwan. When they get to shore they will face thousands of soldiers, tanks, anti tank weapons. They will never make it to the island.

[edit on 5/9/05 by jetsetter]


M6D

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
in milltary terms, is whats wwe call gettin ripped to #


it seems to me, that these tanks still wouldnt stand up to wht taiwan has in tank capability and shore defenses, in all probability if it did come to war...theyd have enough time to acutally set up proper defenses on the beaches by the time these tanks would come ashore



posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
These tanks are more like lightly armoured AFV's. Any anti-Armour weapon including .50 calibre will easily penetrate and disable or destroy them.
Not to mention they can only be used in calm seas.



posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
u should remember that the U.S. Marines got the newest model coming out that rivals China's.

www.fas.org...

it may not be a tank but still good vehicle to take on the 63.

[edit on 10-5-2005 by deltaboy]


M6D

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
isnt amphibious tanks a bit outdated now anyway?



posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by M6D
isnt amphibious tanks a bit outdated now anyway?


outdated? no way. if a tank that can cross a river without any help, while an enemy tank cant get across, thats a big advantage.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join