It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The worlds only modern amphibious tank

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
www.sinodefence.com...

TYPE 63A AMPHIBIOUS TANK

Among the very few countries in the world that still operate the dedicated amphibious tank, China is the only one that has developed a modern model. This was mainly driven by the growing tension between China mainland and Taiwan. To prepare for a possible amphibious assault on Taiwan Island, the PLA requested a new amphibious tank that can be launched from tank landing ships over 10km offshore and reach the shore at a high speed (14km/h). This improved mobility would reduce the risk to PLA Navy ships from enemy missiles, aircraft, boats, and mines, and increase the survivability of the tank in the swimming stage.

The type-63A would be the main assault utility for landing upon the Taiwanese beaches in the event of an invasion.

It has superior firepower, armour and electronics to anything Taiwan currently fields...

my question is what should Taiwan do about it?

The main armament of the Type 63A is a fully stabilised 105mm rifled gun. It is similar to those fitted on the Type 59D and Type 88 main battle tank (MBT), but with reduced recoil force for firing in swimming. The main gun can fire armour piercing fin stabilised discarding sabot (APFSDS), high explosive (HE), and high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT) ammunitions. The fire test showed that when firing APFSDS, the gun could penetrate 500 mm steel armour at a distance of 2,000m.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Lucretius]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
my question is what should Taiwan do about it?

Ask the US for some Hellfires, TOWs or Dragon's and place them in well fortified positions on the beaches

A few A10's and or Apaches probably wouldn’t hurt either

[edit on 6-5-2005 by warpboost]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Apache's and A10's are considered offensive weapons though... i'm not sure Taiwan would get support from the US, or like the F-16 scenario... the US would keep them until taiwan "needed" them.

Essentially... that would give the PLAN a window of oppertunity

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What taiwan should do is to lay the shore with lots and lots and lots of mines, the amphibious tanks won't know what hit them lol
or they might

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
So these tanks are expected to use their amazing top speed of 14km/h or 8.6mph to outmaneuver a missile attack?
In my opinion laying beaches with mines and putting mines in the water will probably destroy most of these tanks, then take out the rest with short range ant tank missile once they get close to or on the beach.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
it is just an upgraded copy of copied soviet pt-76
, also russian sprut-sd outclasses this..

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Hellraiser]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
No, the original Type 63 was a copy of the PT-76. This is almost entirely different.

Here's the quote:
The PLA developed the Type 63 amphibious tank on the basis of the Soviet PT-76 in the early 1960s. Like the PT-76, the Type 63 was designed mainly for use in the river crossing operation at inland rivers and lakes. Land combat is still its primary mission, and the amphibious capability only comes to the second. The vehicle is incapable of high-speed, long-distance swimming in harsh sea conditions. Its 85mm main gun is unable to engage modern tanks, and the tank cannot fire when swimming due to the lack of fire control.

To overcome these disadvantages, the PLA began to develop the improved Type 63A in the late 1990s. Compared to the original Type 63, the Type 63A features a number of improvements specially tailored for maritime amphibious assault operations, including two additional floating tanks to increase the stability of the vehicle in the sea wave in windy weather, and a more powerful diesel engine to give a maximum swimming speed of 14km/h. The tank is fitted with night vision and GPS navigation that enable it to find its landing beach with high accuracy. Some unconfirmed reports also indicated that the Type 63’s 105mm main gun may be able to fire the gun-launched, laser-guided anti-tank missile. With its dual-way stabilisation and computerised fire control, the tank can launch attack on fixed enemy targets when it is still in swim, and has a good chance of defeating Taiwan’s M-48 and M-60 main battle tanks from the moment of landing.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
that's what i said, an upgraded copy of obsolete pt-76,

and has a good chance of defeating Taiwan’s M-48 and M-60 main battle tanks from the moment of landing.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
another copy product from china .

what about shore based a guns i hope taiwan must had .

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003

what about shore based a guns i hope taiwan must had .

useless, they will be oblitirated by chinese cruise missile copies and airstrikes.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   
One word...

Javelin

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
A floating tank is considered to be a sitting duck for any TOW or other ATGM. And it is a match for a MBT, even M60, only when it gets first shoot, due light armor that can be penetrated even by 30mm cannon. If it have MTB's armor this modified PT-76 would just sink like a rock. On ground, its combat abilities are more like cannon armed IFV, like BMP-3 than an MBT.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'm thinking a steel offshore net across the coast would cause major issues for any amphibious assault.

It will certainly stall for time... when speed is everything and remember the PLAN does not intend on getting too close to the shore.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Lucretius]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
every body accpected that it is just dude product in context of taiwan
so point is here why they are buliding this and wasting time and money.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by mirza2003]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
because it is not a dud product...

It will pose a very serious threat to taiwanese defenses. It has an accurate a powerfull gun and can make short work of anything Taiwan can currently throw at it.

Taiwan has none of these weapons you all so elabourately throw up...

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
may know how could they could not protect himself from such light protected armour who could be penterated by 30mm guns.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
A 30mm cannon can disable an M1A2

You are correct though... armour is the tanks major weakness, which is why they spend so much time designing powerfull offensive capability.

I guess the idea is that it can fire an anti-tank missile or HEAT/SABOT round before it can be engaged

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

A 30mm cannon can disable an M1A2

You are correct though... armour is the tanks major weakness, which is why they spend so much time designing powerfull offensive capability.

I guess the idea is that it can fire an anti-tank missile or HEAT/SABOT round before it can be engaged

ya but my point is that these tank are light protect us pointed by top aritcle so there more vanurable than m1a2 and off course tank has more power but cordinated counter attack with cobras by taiwanes is totally make them scrap.

cobras with mirage cover these three[30mm] is in cordination.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by mirza2003]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

because it is not a dud product...

It will pose a very serious threat to taiwanese defenses. It has an accurate a powerfull gun and can make short work of anything Taiwan can currently throw at it.

Taiwan has none of these weapons you all so elabourately throw up...

Yes they do and these tanks will sink anyways.

[edit on 5/7/05 by jetsetter]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
China is the super power of the future and we will see a lot of positive things happening there in the next decade which will have a great impact on the whole world. China will be the leading power of the so called new emerging "Silk Road World Powers" (China, Iran, India)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join