It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military looking for possible humvee replacement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
washingtontimes.com...

because of the threats right now that exists, the humvees based on its design limits needs replacement in my opinion to a new vehicle design to meet the IED and other possible threats.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I haven't read the article, so forgive me if this was mentioned in it, but I know the Marine Corps has already purchased some test models of a South African companies "mine-proof" small vehicle as a possible replacement/supplement to the Humvee.

commentary.co.za...

voipalaska.com...

At the moment it's a mine-clearing vehicle, not a jeep replacement, but I think I read that it was being evaluated in the US for conversion into "mine-safe" general transport vehicle.

-koji K.

M6D

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
bout time, they shouldnt of even had humvees doing the job they did for a longtime, and its about time they started using a new vehicle for this role

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
heres the next hum-vee

FS2004 VTOL version of the Disco Vollante', (Italian for flying saucer). It now features the vertical take-off upgrade with a superb jet sound package. Hover as well as take-offs and landing at sectored residences, neighborhoods, buildings, and other such zoned VTOL interaction sites is now enabled for some fantastic flying in the conceptual world of tomorrow. (Sorry, I have quite a few of these concepts). Twin mini turbines now lie mounted in the hull, with a variable NOTAR side thrust system and 'Pressure Plennum' cavity that provides thrust to the dorsal 'vertical thruster nozzels'. This model features opening perspex/canopy, retracting landing gear, working suspension, working and retracting and turning Cam Pod, custom panel, opening belly scoop, 6 diffrent colors with dynamic shine and reflection, and instructions on how to drive your new 'vehicle' in the world of tomorrow. Take off from your tennis court converted landing pad in the back yard and arrive at work at your parking garages' roof top. You'll find your brief case and duffle bag stowed in the nose boot and a hot cup of coffee in the drink holder. By William Ortis, Lionheart Creations

see more at
www.simviation.com...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Up graded HUMVES that utilize the latest armor panels and covering can withstand a mine and they can withstand typical IED's.
What they need to do is just up armor all current HUMVES with this package instead of buying a new vehicle that might only be good for one purpose.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Washington, DC, May. 5 (UPI) -- The U.S. military needs a new class of tactical vehicles specifically designed to withstand large roadside and car bombs, military officials told Congress Thursday.

What about the Dingo II, which is in use in the belgian, austrian and german and soon israeli defence forces?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Up graded HUMVES that utilize the latest armor panels and covering can withstand a mine and they can withstand typical IED's.
What they need to do is just up armor all current HUMVES with this package instead of buying a new vehicle that might only be good for one purpose.

the original design did not allow for it... so essentially it will be turning it into a light armoured vehicle.

You may as well design something new for the cost.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The Humvee Replacement

The US Army needs to convert the vehicle they use to lug the space rockets to the launchpad at the Kennedy Space Center.

I bet this thing can take an IED blast no problem.

top topics

join