It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blair and Bush reelected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
While people are claiming George Bush and Tony Blair are the worst creatures to walk the earth and that their own countries hate them, both Blair and Bush were reelected.

I just found this pretty interesting. We have two men here who ignored the polls and did what they thought needed to be done for the safety of their respective nations. They were evicerated by the media, huge campaigns were started to demonize these men, yet today we find that both of them have been reelected.

It looks like standing on your principles is an electable quality!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Don't forget the Aussie PM John Howard, he was demonized for the Iraq War too yet still re-elected...

[edit on 5/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, I'm glad that Bush and Blair were re-elected.

It's good to see that there are more morons than ever. It's even better to see got damn liars in charge of things. Bush has never done a single thing wrong, and he's leading the country in the right direction. I don't need civil liberties or borders in my country. I think Bush should be made into a saint, or deified like the Romans use to do...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Ahh, gotta love the liberal elite mentality:

If you don't agree with me, you must be a moron.

I guess it's pretty hard to stay humble when you're so great, eh?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Last time I checked, I ain't an elite or a liberal.

I love Bush. Hell, I worship him. Without him, where would we be? Bush is our saviour, he's such a great man. Who do you think is gonna protect us from Al-Qaeda? You see Bin Laden doesn't matter; Bush doesn't even care about that loser anymore. So what if he was behind 9/11, he's nothing!

Bush will keep our country safe! So what if we have to lose a little freedom, damn it, we gotta stop Al-Qaeda!!! And Bush is doing it! As long as those terrorists stay away from the border, Lord Bush has everything under control.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Gosh, truthseeka, do I detect just a ... bit ... of "sour grapes"?

dh

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Blair got re-elected on a 22% mandate of the eligible population
His Count Dracula-style opponent got 20%
The burgeoning vote was for the abstention party - 39% of the vote
That's democracy in action!
Stuff these politicians in all their trousers
With both Bush and Blair free to claim a fresh mandate in the face of their ultra-criminal mendacity, these are dangerous times indeed

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There is such a thing as being strong from an opponent's weakness. In other words, you get elected because your opponent seems like an even less palatable choice than you do.

John Kerry was far from being the best candidate the Democrats could've chosen, and I firmly believe a lot of Americans - who don't give a hoot about the liberal-vs-conservative mudfight - decided that for the moment being, Bush was the lesser evil.

It sure looks like the way things are decided in a lot of countries... people become very distraught with the poor choices they have when they go vote.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Gosh, truthseeka, do I detect just a ... bit ... of "sour grapes"?

What, don't you see?

Bush is one of the greatest presidents ever. I'm glad we have the war on terror, I feel a lot safer with the Patriot Acts. The next bunch of fanatics will think twice about attacking us.

I don't get it; what's your point?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Remember this? I certainly have not forgotten when it was posted here on ATS, a number of times.

But oh look, Blair wins and no British press running the same concerning his win and the people who voted for him.
Interesting.
Irony or hypocritical?

Btw, how many people voted Labour?

seekerof

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Remember this? I certainly have not forgotten when it was posted here on ATS, a number of times.

But look, Blair wins and no British press running the same concerning his win and the people who voted for him.
Interesting.
Irony or hypocritical?

seekerof

Seeker, the Mirror is a Labour biased rag(newspaper). However I think you are correct.

Irony or hypocritical?

Both IMO.

The Mirror is a trash tabloid paper. To claim 50% odd Americans are dumb because Bush got re-elected is absolute crap. The Mirror looks for and publishes sensational type headlines, it always has, in my lifetime anyway. It is not a paper to be taken seriously.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

But oh look, Blair wins and no British press running the same concerning his win and the people who voted for him.
Interesting.
Irony or hypocritical?

That's because the British tabloids are pro-Blair. There is neither irony or hypocrisy simply because there is no opposing voice.
The Mirror is an anti-Conservative/Republican tabloid. It's no suprise that it took that stance regarding Bush.

I'm not worried about the democratic arguments regarding this latest election. As elections go, these are as fair and as free as any that you will find anywhere. What does bother me though is that the British have a system where any party can change it's elected leader without any input from the voters. It's highly unlikely that Blair will see out his term of office and word is that he will be replaced by Gordon Brown within two years. This I find to be undemocratic. In these times where people tend to vote on personalities (rightly or wrongly) I believe that is totally wrong to replace an elected leader (whatever emotions he may evoke) with a figure who is going to be unpopular with the majority. In the US you have impeachment, but here a party can remove it's own leader, Prime Minister or not, on a whim at any time.

So to those who dislike Blair - look on the bright side. The figure whom you depise most will be removed from office in an undemocratic way - without an input from the electorate. Rather like the way that Saddam was removed but without the bloodshed.
Now there's irony for you Seekerof.

dh

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

But look, Blair wins and no British press running the same concerning his win and the people who voted for him.
Interesting.
Irony or hypocritical?

seekerof

Seeker, the Mirror is a Labour biased rag(newspaper). However I think you are correct.

Irony or hypocritical?

Both IMO.

The Mirror is a trash tabloid paper. To claim 50% odd Americans are dumb because Bush got re-elected is absolute crap. The Mirror looks for and publishes sensational type headlines, it always has, in my lifetime anyway. It is not a paper to be taken seriously.

It was taken seriously enough for it's antiwar editor Piers Morgan to have to resign after being scammed with fake Iraq torture photos
Even though this stuff did happen
No particular support to Piers Morgan, but this is the way stuff happens

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks to you three, Kriz_4, Leveller, and dh.
Here of late, I have dramatically reduced my involvement in political discussions, even on the war with Iraq, but to be honest, that picture and those past ATS topics and post/comments highlighting this tabloids front page bugged me tremendously then and still bugs me now.

I guess I had to get it off my chest.
Thanks for the replys.

And yes Leveller, I would concur with your last mention.

seekerof

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dh

It was taken seriously enough for it's antiwar editor Piers Morgan to have to resign after being scammed with fake Iraq torture photos
Even though this stuff did happen
No particular support to Piers Morgan, but this is the way stuff happens

The photos were fake. Pure and simple. There is no argument over that.
As to the argument that British soldiers committed crimes against Iraqi prisoners, that is neither here nor there. It involves a different time scale, different subjects and different methods. Later claims have absolutely no bearing regarding the Mirror photographs.
The Mirror posted photos with the claim that they were the truth. Morgan bet his job on them being factual. When they were proven to be false he didn't have the decency to stand down so he was sacked.
This has no bearing on the credibility of the Mirror. More it has a bearing on Morgan's morality.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Leveller]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
i think there would have been around 12-14 million that voted labour. that's going on figures of around 25 million in total voted. Our UK papers aren't going to print 'how can 12 million people be so dumb' because they would then have 12 million less people to sell their paper to.

it's funny how two men after having campaigns against the both of them for the war in iraq, tony blair being told he's a liar and lied to the people of the UK, no weapons of mass destruction were found, yet they still were voted in and kept in by the majority of the public. Obviously the majority view of the public therefore would be a
for the war in iraq.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This baffles me, in the UK i can i only put it down to party loyalty, the economy and the poor election campaign of the conservatives (main opposition). Tony Blair is not a man of intergrity and honesty hes proven this over the Iraq war, but this wasnt enough to make labour lose as they had a pretty large majority.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
"Those who count the votes decide
everything."

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
And evil shall roam the earth....

Cool. They make a fine pair. More power to them.

Now lets get on with the wars and the mayhem

This only proves people are dumb and blind and getting worse..

I love self inflicted chaos.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Voting just makes the rest of us feel really good thinking that we have a say in politics where in fact we don't.

Most of the time, the two choices that are offered to us are both idiotic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join