It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 month tour is up for most UK soldiers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
My son is now home after being in Iraq for the last 6 months, as are most soldiers who went out with him.

I thought that maybe those who have had relatives serving, and who are now back, could maybe post some pictures of their time in Iraq. Maybe share a few stories too.

Unfortunately for some, they have just been sent out on a 6 month tour. I would like to wish these lads all the best. I know a lot of them do read and participate in this forum, so heres to you lads

[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Your sons back?!?! YEAH!!!!!

I have something for him:

Hope everything is well with him. Tell him great job for us!!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Sh************t
Just shown him that.

He says thanks, but he was there doing a job that he signed up for. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks from me for that too

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
He says thanks, but he was there doing a job that he signed up for. Nothing more, nothing less.

And THATS WHY, he gets the medal....

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
My son has asked me to repost this story from Iraq. He still feels for this unfortunate girl, and still continues to talk about it. Maybe people should think that they were not only there to kill and to maim, but to also help those that needed it.

It was posted here a few weeks ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

here is the story........................

There is one story he had to tell me. I deliberated on weather or not to post, but decided i needed to share this.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to reveal where he was when the following took place.

His squadron was based just outside a small village near to where most of the trouble was happening. After a few weeks, they began to get know the local kids, who were always around asking for water.
They used to give the kids the water and tried to make conversation with them. They taught them English to an extent, enough to be able to be understood, names etc.
My son was quiet taken with a 9 year old girl who , according to him seemed to be the odd one out among the other children. He used to give her chocolate bars from his ration packs and the boiled sweets that they get.
This went on for weeks, until he handed over some chocolate to the girl in the street. Some elders or maybe part of her family were sitting in the background watching this happen. Nothing was said, just a waved hand and a smile.

He never saw this girl again until 3 weeks later. She was hanging from a tree. She had been hung because she had taken "gifts" from a westerner. The girls family were distraught. They didn't blame my son, but they thanked my him for taking the time to help her and to make her happy.

My son phoned me in tears when he found out what had happened. He still feels like he was to blame for some part in this. Maybe if he hadn't given her things ,then she might still be alive?This is what he thought.
I told him to take comfort in what he did for the unfortunate girl, and look back at how it made her smile and brought a small piece of happiness into her life.
He will live with that memory for ever. He even has the photograph of her in his wallet. He said he needs to keep it.

I apologize if this has upset anyone, but it made me cry when he was telling me about it. Hell, i even got choked up writing this.

There is a lot to this War that we will never get to know.

Cheers Eddie

[edit on 03/12/04 by Bikereddie]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Hell of a story Eddie

Its hard to believe that all the young troops have to learn to deal with things like that.
I guess they have to grow up fast to be able to deal with it.
Most people will never have to deal with things like that. My heart goes out to him and the little girl. He did what was right and should be proud of what he achieved.

Give him my thanks and welcome home Eddie's son

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
No problem.
Thanks for the remarks

Once i get the pictures sorted out, i will post them.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Obviously the troops being home means absolutley nothing then?
Thanks to skippy and syko for the comments. Glad to see someone has the decency to reply to all those that served.

Mods can you please close this thread or delete it..........................

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
hey eddie, that is a real story of how are boys and all the other boys try and make little difference in the iraqi's lives, unfortunate what happened but there is nothing he could of done to provent this. This shows soliders have hearts and not some machine or brain washed people! it is a good thread and i thank you for sharing that with us, if you deciede to keep the thread open i will be more than happy to post some photos unfortuantly without people in as i am still currently active in a private military company in iraq and would not wish break security regulations!

but thanks again and give your lad a pat on the back it is the least he deserves for all he did!

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thanks for that jayce

I understand the security you mention, so be careful not post any pics that could be used elsewhere.

What unit are you serving with right now? Is it ok to ask that?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
BikerEddie,

I am very glad your son is home, along with the many other U.K. soldiers. Please tell your son how much his courage and commitment mean to all of us...no matter where we are. The world needs more of both.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
hey eddie
I used to serve with a particular squadron who i cannot mention for many years but now i work for a private company here and also i cannot mention them either........ jeeze security security well anyway yeah i am still happy to post some pics of around baghdad and other areas, dont think most people actually realise how much beauty this country actually has, i myself have been shocked by some of the places i have seen......

i have just had a very close friend of mine start his 6 month tour last week in the south so i hope he returns home safe also!

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
going by what you mention, i take it you are from the UK.

My sons friend has just gone out to Basrah serving with the coldstream guards. They have been in the news just lately for sad reasons.
he is based in Al-Amera. You seen there?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
no eddie but my friend who still serves in the british army has just been sent to basrah palace, unfortunatly all my work stays in the MND south central and MND west, soon finish here though now upto 16 months here, i also have a few pics from cental north but not many, happy to share them one here though, will have to be tomorrow before i can post them as i dont have my memory stick with them on and the PCO dont let us use our own laptops for security... dam that word again........ anyway the squadron i served with was signals based, we have a small british camp here but not that many........ the only place you can get a decent beer from

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Guess he's with the coldstream guards then?
Look forward to ya pics. I got a load too..

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
nah eddie he is with the signals..... the "royal" corp so to speak

They are all soliders at the end of the day though and they all do a fantastic job weather british, american or just part of the multi nation force that is over here, proub to work with them all!

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
tell your son eddie, that I sayed thankyou.

Incredibly brave people out there.

Very emotional story, thankyou for sharing it.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Ya welcome.
Hope to share a few pictures when i get the chance to scan them in.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thought i would bump this thread in the hope that i could get a response from a newcomer that seems to have very strong views about the coalition forces being in Iraq.
Maybe that new person could make me understand why the child quoted in the story i posted was treated in the way she was?

(sits and waits for response)

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
EDDIE

Should be able to load some pics on today if i work out how
had them cleared but only a few...

should be ready for this afternoon sometime

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join