It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxcutters, a fairly ineffective weapon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Does the government expect us to believe that these terroists used boxcutters alon to take over the planes? I can think of about five things that could be used as defnse against a boxcutter.

1.) Detachable foam rubber seat cushion, used like shield. Has anyone tried to cut dense foam with an exacto knofe, or boxcutter? It doesn't work so well.
2.) Carry on bags, especially samsonite.
3.) magazines as protective armor, under clothing. (can't cut through a magazine in one slash.
4.) Blankets, using blaknets to snag the boxcutters, in an attempt to dislodge them from the hands.

I am guessing that the terrorists could have been overwhelmed, had a majority of the people coordinated an effort. Considering that they were probably outnumbered.

I have never been afraid of boxcutters, but guns, bombs, and swords on the other hand...

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Eyeofhorus]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I dunno I seen some fierce box cutters.

However, I guess people are afraid when it's multiple assailants, most people panic when they are attacked. I mean what would you do if multiple men came at you with box cutters? I am sure they couldve been overwhelmed but like I said people panic and when you panic you don't think clearly.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I remember reading that initial reports were that one of the 'terrorists' shot the person seating next to him with a gun which was the start of taking over the plane. Sort of like a serious example to the rest of the passengers to comply. I think it said the gun was placed on board the plane, it wasn't brought onboard.

Apparently these reports were changed by the afternoon and no gun was ever mentioned again and the box-cutter theory stuck.

I guess if there was a gun used it opens up a lot of avenues about airport security and even pre-planted weapons in the plane which could lead back to the people behind the 9/11 'offical' story.

Could be something to look into thou, see if any cached or achieved reports of guns are available.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Boxcutters were only effective in the pre-911 world.

Back then if you were hijacked you still had a fairly good chance of surviving once the plane was landed and raided by special forces.

If the people on those planes knew what was going to happen they would have overwhelmed the hijackers, like they did on Flight 93.

Incidentally I think that the attacks on 911 would be almost impossible to repeat. I think that the extra security is to make us feel like the government is doing something to protect us.

Seriously, if someone tried to hijack a plane in the US with a boxcutter now, they would be torn to pieces by the passengers.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by LeftBehind]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Yes, exactly what LeftBehind said.

There was never a previous incident where hijackers tried to crash a plane, so flight crews were trained to cooperate with them until they could get to the ground where the government would deal with them. Obviously after 9/11 this is no longer the case.

[edit on 5/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

join