It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 years in a "persistent vegatative state" snaps out of it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
www.boston.com...

Don Herbert, 10 years in a persistent vegatative state, kept alive by a feeding tube, a loving spouse kept him alive, and provided therapy. Unlike Terri Shiavo, who was murdered.

Hate to say I told you so but...I TOLD YOU SO.

Herbert was given a chance, unlike Terri Shiavo.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

all ready being discussed, as well as the whole Shiavo angle...

( mod edit to fix link)

[edit on 6-5-2005 by asala]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I'm going to be blunt: [no you're not]. This guy was not in a persistant vegitative state. It's the ignorant people like you who don't understand medical terms and conditions that blew the Shaivo case WAY out of proportion.

It's not murder because she was already dead.

Get your f'n facts straight, and your head out of your a' while you're at it.

''He was almost like in the persistent vegetative coma state, and suddenly this thing happened."

Learn how to read.

[edit on 5/6/05 by concept]

[edit on 6-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by concept
I'm going to be blunt: [no you're not]. This guy was not in a persistant vegitative state. It's the ignorant people like you who don't understand medical terms and conditions that blew the Shaivo case WAY out of proportion.

It's not murder because she was already dead.

Get your f'n facts straight, and your head out of your a' while you're at it.

''He was almost like in the persistent vegetative coma state, and suddenly this thing happened."

Learn how to read.

[edit on 5/6/05 by concept]

[edit on 6-5-2005 by RANT]

I think youve got to calm down and remeber the T and C my friend.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I would bet the "almost" diagnosis came into being after he woke up, since everyone knows nobody in a PVS could ever recover...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I live in the Western NY area, and remember the incident that put this man into a coma for 2 1/2 months.

He was NOT in a PVS, but had extensive brain damage, not to mention blindness in both eyes.

It was thought that he would never recover to the extent that he has, but it is unknown how long this recovery will last.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
this man had a damage brain, there are prenty of function to varying extents of people with brain damage, Mrs. Shiavo had part of her brain gone, Her Cortex had liquidfied, aint much there to recover from now is there?

these are 2 completely different form of Brain damage people.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I dont think people understand then when a person looses brain cells and their brain literally shrinks that they can just come back 100% how they were before. You brain cant grow back nor can brain cells regernerate on their own. Shiavo's brains had shrunk so she was never going to be how she was if she came back. either you are in PVS or you arent. you cant just say someone was ALMOST in one and claim it to be pretty much the same thing as PVS. so there is no "i told you so". there isnt enough medical evidence for us to have on either side of these 2 people to make a substancial medical claim that they were in the same state. We dont have access to EVERY detail in their medical records. But this topic has been discussed so much. I think all sides of this issue are known and have been discussed do you guys think so?

Kind Regards,
Digital Grl

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Servohahn since you have some history with Brain-damaged (handicapped) people what real rehabilitation could have been made if as reported to fact that her cerebral cortex was gone. I mean suffered an Injury to his brain, Ms. Schiavo was MISSING a vital part of her brain. As for the Euthanasia your right, the way this woman was starve to death was disgusting and inhumane in my opinion, but I do believe we should have the right to control our lives and just when, why and how and under what circumstances we choose to continue and/or end it. The only good thing about the Schiavo case was that it has brought the whole living will and how we choose to live out our lives to the forefront, anybody who saw this case and not made his wishes known at the very least (written and legalize ideally) frankly deserves whatever they get. I don’t completely buy the whole Schiavo case, someone had to deep down be lying to themselves about what Terri would have wanted, every one has a good Idea of what your spouse and/or child would have wanted, do I believe someone would be selfish and impose their beliefs on sustaining or even terminating to a much, MUCH lesser extent base on their own belief, yes I do. I’ve have a very different view on this than my Parents (well mother mostly) and what my wishes would be in an extreme case like the 2 above and honestly I'm not 100% percent sure my mother would follow my wishes so I’ve made my wishes clear and taken her out of the position of having to choose for me so I can be guaranteed that my wishes and beliefs are followed. If I suffered an Injury that would bring about significant changes to my life (paralyzed, significant brain damage/handicap) I would have added blindness and severe amputation(s) if I could, than I would not like to be kept alive or have any significant medical assistance provided.

I find it sad that his family had all agreed to let him die in a life threatening medical emergency. But I don't need to argue any points here. I'm sure his family feels rightly guilty about having made that decision now that he's made such a recovery.

I’m not a 100% on the facts but I’m would guess if there was no written statement left by the man (given his profession I think it’s supposed to be ask as part of his health coverage) that they where probably decided this with his wishes in mind. But like I said above I think it’s extremely irresponsible especially after the schiavo case to not have your wishes clearly express with those around you. And if you don’t particularly share the same Ideas as those around you like I do make them official (legalized) and not have to wonder if those around you would have the strength and/or character to follow your wishes above their own. The only religious and core beliefs which influences my every thought, desires, basicly guides my soul, is that imposing one’s religious, moral and ethical beliefs, especially when the other person can’t fight back or can’t express their own beliefs is wrong. Being kept alive as a drooling, mumbling Husk or severely paralyzed against my will is the closest and literal interpretation I could fathom to a living hell. Wish is why I find it some important to give people the right to choose how and when they wish to continue or end their lives regardless of what others think or want.

Pertaining to Mr. Schiavo I really feel that there was little Financial gain for him between the medical and later medical expenses all of the money from the lawsuit was gone. There were a couple of people who offered him large sums of money hand over care of his wife, and her family even had proposed so kind of a deal where he would have kept whatever money was left from her lawsuit and give them custodianship over their daughter. So he didn’t off her for financial reasons like many people accuse him off, honest either her parents selfishly put their beliefs and desires ahead of what their daughter would have wanted, because there is no way that anybody who has such a close and intimate relation would not know what they would have wanted or Mr. Schiavo had much more dark & sinister motives which have absolutely nothing to do with the right to die or spousal rights. It’s not like this woman was an unborn embryo or fetus or some severely handicapped child who is unable to express their wishes. Either Mr. Schiavo wanted to kill her, money wasn’t the motive and he could had smoother her or something, it’s not like she could have fought back or her parents where putting their own personal wishes and beliefs above the wishes of their daughter and her spouse who was responsible for her both legally and by marriage. But in any case Congress and government aside from the courts should have stayed away from this especially after it went up and down the court system with the same decision each step of the way.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
God !!!!!!!!!!!

Really annoying to read some posts.

Dont you ppl ever heard about PARAGRAPHS ?

top topics

join