It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: David Hackworth, Decorated Three War Vet and Military Analyst, Dies at 74

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Retired Colonel David Hackworth who was decorated for heroism in WWII, Korea and Vietnam has died. He was 74. Hackworth had spent much of his recent years as an author and military analyst. After five years in Vietnam, Hackworth turned against the war, retired and moved to Australia. During his career, Hackworth was awarded two Distinguished Service Crosses, ten Silver Stars, eight Bronze Stars, eight Purple Hearts and the Combat Infantryman's Badge, among many others. During WWII, Hackworth lied about his age at fourteen to join the Merchant Marine. A year later, at fifteen, he joined the US Army.

www.kvia.com
Retired Army Colonel David Hackworth, a decorated Vietnam veteran who spoke out against the war, is dead at the age of 74.

His wife says Hackworth died Wednesday in Tijuana, Mexico, where he was being treated for bladder cancer.

Hackworth was also a journalist and an advocate for military reform and served as a Newsweek correspondent during the Gulf War. He also worked in as a syndicated columnist for King Features, often criticizing the Bush administration's handling of the Iraq war.

He reported last year that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld used a machine to sign condolence letters sent to the families of fallen soldiers. That prompted Rumsfeld to later promise to sign each letter by hand.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

David Hackworth, besides being the consummate soldier, was a controversial figure. He spoke out against the war in Vietnam, criticized military careerism, exposed an unwarranted "combat V" on a medal worn by then Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Jeremy Boorda, who committed suicide over the incident. Hackworth also broke the story about Donald Rumsfeld's using a machine to sign letters to the families of soldiers killed in action in the war on terrorism. It will be a long time before the world again sees the likes of David Hackworth.

Related News Links:
www.hackworth.com
www.commondreams.org
www.washingtonpost.com
www.cnn.com

[edit on 05/5/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Oh...this is very sad. I spoke with Colonel Hackworth a few months ago in an attempt to get an interview for ATSNN and he declined due to ill health.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
So sad, I am going to miss him being on FoxNews so often.RIP!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Very sad news indeed. A valiant & noble man on the battlefield as well as in world affairs. I especially was interested in his One of the Biggest Heists in History report about the $8.8 Billion that went missing in Iraq under Bremers watch. Wish there were more like him, may he rest in eternal peace.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I always used to enjoy his Newsweek pieces. They were usually the high point of an otherwise wretchedly biased magazine.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I loved that man. I met him personally in Cape Cod, Massachusetts and he was a very decent nice person. I'm really saddened by this. My business with him was due to my dealings with him for an airline. He was a true gentleman, with a great sense of humor.
May he rest in peace.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I admired Col. Hackworth for his gallant service, his fine military analysis and for his numerous articles and books. Though I didn't always agree with some of his opinions, I certainly respected this fine soldier, citizen and gentlemen. He will be missed.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Farewell, Colonel

Wow, I didn't know he was that old. He sure didn't look it to me.

A crisp salute to a crusty old warhorse and distinguished countryman.

I will miss him.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The colonel was an opinionated man, who loved his country and verbally redressed both the forces of the right and the left when he felt it necessary.
His appearances on Fox News were my first introduction to his caustic style and he will be missed.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Very sad. He will be missed.

I wonder why he was seeking treatment in Tiajuana of all places. I've never heard of people going to Tiajuana to get top notch medical care. Anyone have any info on this?

Jemison

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
I wonder why he was seeking treatment in Tiajuana of all places. I've never heard of people going to Tiajuana to get top notch medical care. Anyone have any info on this?

A lot of Americans seek cancer treatment in Mexico. Drugs (illegal drugs in US) and the Mexicans will also use herbs.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Definately a loss, I found a good bio of him here: Col. David. H. Hackworth, 1930-2005.

A reputation won on the battlefield made it impossible to dismiss him when he went on the attack later as a critic of careerism and incompetence in the military high command. In 1971, he appeared in the field on ABC's "Issue and Answers" to say Vietnam "is a bad war ... it can't be won. We need to get out." He also predicted that Saigon would fall to the North Vietnamese within four years, a prediction that turned out to be far more accurate than anything the Joint Chiefs of Staff were telling President Nixon or that the President was telling the American people.

With almost five years in-country, Col. Hackworth was the only senior officer to sound off about the Vietnam War. After the interview, he retired from the Army and moved to Australia.

His finest moment came when he applied these tactics, taking the hopeless 4/39 Infantry Battalion in the Mekong Delta, turning it into the legendary Hardcore Battalion. The men of the demoralized outfit saw him at first as a crazy "lifer" out to get them killed. For a time they even put a price on his head and waited for the first grunt to frag him.

Within 10 weeks, the fiery young combat leader had so transformed the 4/39 that it was routing main force enemy units. He led from the front, at one point getting out on the strut of a helicopter, landing on top of an enemy position and hauling to safety the point elements of a company pinned down and facing certain death. Thirty years later, the grateful enlisted men and young officers of the 4/39, now grown old, are still urging the Pentagon to award him the Medal of Honor for this action. So far, the Army has refused.

I read his columns a lot, and he was a real warrior as opposed to a warmonger. He always stuck up for the soldier on the ground, no matter who it pissed off. We need more like him.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I live in SEAsia and saw no mention of this.

My 2 cents:

I have no idea of what Hackworth was like as a combat officer or as a person, not haveing read his autobiog or met him.

I have, however, read his one work of fiction and it was excellent, if you're into the Tom Clancy/Jack Higgins/Ralph Peters school of writing, the man could string more than two words together adn his writing dripped of personal conviction.

It seems, as an occasional outside observer of the Colonel's, that he let his fame get in the way of his truth occasionally when it really mattered.

Mark Bowden takes the Colonel to task for lying about the casualties from Mogadishu, for example.

Hackworth wrote about visitng the grunts in Bethesda (I think it was Bethesda). Paraphrase: "I asked "why so many amputations?" they replied that it was from the unclean water/environment." Bowden then goes on to quote the true number. (I forget how many amputations, less than four, shoddy journalism on my part)

After exposing CNO, did Hackworth then go onto pursue him, or did he keep out of the pack that did that?

However, who else is consistently questioning the US military and government? Who else has the been there and done it credibility to? Who else can separate criticism of the establishment from criticism of the men and women in uniform as an amorphous mass?

The US needs Colonel Hackworths because it won't listen to outsiders, the people in uniform need Conloel Hackworths because it seems the establishment doesn't listen to their needs and the world needs Colonel Hackworths because the US doesn't listen to outsiders.

Given that there was only one Colonel Hackworth the world is a poorer place indeed.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Hackworth was a gentleman and a master of the killing trade. I was fortunate enough to meet him when I was in the Marines, and he was an impressive guy. I read his bio, 'About Face,' and 'Steel my Soldiers' Hearts.' His book 'The Vietnam Primer' saved a lot of US lives and helped kill a lot of enemies.

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Colonel Hackworth was a man amoung the men that served under him.

He'll be remembered for more than the great soldier he was.

Rest in peace Colonel.

new topics

top topics

join