It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Bush Approves Demotion of Gen. Karpinski in Prison Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Former commander of Abu Ghraib prison Janis Karpinski was demoted from Brigadier General to Colonel, which was approved by President Bush. She also received a written reprimand because of her dereliction of duty relative to Abu Ghraib and for shoplifting. Karpinsky was caught shoplifting at MacDill AFB about one year before she was sent to Iraq to command the 800th Military Police Brigade.

www.usatoday.com
President Bush has approved the demotion of Army Reserve Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, whose unit was in charge during the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuses in 2003, officials said Thursday.

The Army also said three other, more senior generals had been cleared of wrongdoing in the prisoner abuse cases, actions that had been previously reported. That means Karpinski is the only general to be disciplined.

Karpinski was demoted to colonel, a move that required approval by the president. She also received a written reprimand by Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Richard Cody for dereliction of duty and shoplifting and was formally relieved of command of the 800th Military Police Brigade on April 8.

The Army did not explain the allegations, but a number of previous investigations of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuses have accused Karpinski of failing to maintain order and prevent the abuses. She has said publicly that she was not given full authority over Abu Ghraib.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This woman is a real piece of work. Frankly, I have never seen anything more disgusting in my life than this woman's appearance on television with her attorney blaming everyone in the world for the events at Abu Ghraib. Janis Karpinski has to be one of the worst leaders the Army has ever seen. The shoplifting charge goes right to the heart of her character. It's a real shame when a Brigadier General can't afford a $22. bottle of perfume. Personally, I think she deserved a much greater reduction in rank.

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
www.military.com
www.nndb.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ABUSE CRISIS: The Documents Behind the Taguba Report (Part II)
ABUSE CRISIS: The Iraq War Will be Defined By Images of Abu Ghraib Abuse.
ABUSE CRISIS: Jeremy Sivits Pleads Guilty to Abu Ghraib Abuse - Sentenced to One Year
ABUSE CRISIS: U.S. Army MI Pleads Guilty to Abu Ghraib Abuse Charges

[edit on 05/5/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
No !

The General was straight forward at the beginning and Bush/Rumsfeld and Myers need public consideration for demotion and where possible release of U.S. Duties.

Dallas

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sounds like a smear campaign on the general to me like the rest of the abu ghraib people. I agree she should of been demoted, but where is the accountability happening in the Pentagon? Rumsfeld, anyone?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
scapegoat

maybe weshould also talk abotu why planes full of prisoners are being sent to syria, and when hundreds of detainees in Guantamino bay are still in prison without any formal charges, or being named POWs instead of "Enemy combatants"

new topics

top topics

join