It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Have An Accent?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
NO. Only Yankees and Mexicans have accents

Hey hey, noo yankee bashing!!
I have a NY accent. Everyone in california seems to pick up on Nykers right away. I guess the whole "talk" "walk" "water" etc thing really stands out? The Californian way of saying "water" is just funny to me.

I can never take a Canadian person seriously( No offense) They just sound too soft. I can imagine a big canadian guy saying "Aboot time I beat you up!"
My ex was canadian and he was very aware of his accent after the South park movie came out. Once in a while he'd let his guard down and out comes the boots and the shooors. Priceless!

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Normaly my accent varies between, nomal american, and high class, inteligent brittish.

However, when I speak in other languages, I can naturaly imitate the acccent, french for instance, I've had people think Im french, because I can imitate the accent so well.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
because im english and from manchester when i speak its almost like a musical lament as my dulcet tones drift along the air.........when public speaking most people are gratefull that a mancunian was choosen as this accent does the english launguage such divine justice!

BANGIN ,SORTED ARE KID!....DONT MESS ABOUT'0'......COZ GONNO MESS YO UP!

when i speak portuguese ive been told i actually sound like i am portuguese...although if i am blowing my own trumpet i do have a bit of a gift for accents.

2 mancs public speaking yesterday.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by optimus fett]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I have a Yorkshire accent with a South African lilt, especially when talking to my in-laws. (I lived in SA for a few years). I think I just automatically slow my speech down so Im understood.
When I visited home my husband phoned and was unable to understand a word I was saying!!! Being home a week was all it took for communication breakdown!!
Now I naturally dont speak as fast unless Im with friends.
I definately adapt my accent to who Im with but not consciously.

In SA the first conversation with my sister in law went like this
K "I like your hair colour, what is it?"
Me "Rosehip"
K "Sorry?"
Me "Rosehip.."
K "It's what?"
Me " ROOSSEEHHIIPP"
K "Oh.." Obviously still not understanding.
My Husband "ROSEHIP"
K "oh Rosehip"
Hmmmmmm...

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Nein, nyet, I heff no exzent and I em speaking zee Queen's Unglish prooperly. It iz you gays (*) vis ze exzent.

* guys

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
How is it possible that americans and british have varying accents over different regions and yet in Australia everybody has the same accent? From the west coast to the east coast, from the north to the south, every body has the same accent. You could not tell a Sydney person from a Melbourne person, or a Perth person. Its only easy to detect someone from the outback, but thats about it.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus_01
How is it possible that americans and british have varying accents over different regions and yet in Australia everybody has the same accent? From the west coast to the east coast, from the north to the south, every body has the same accent.

Linguists identify four dialects in Aussie English: Broad, General (the majority), Cultivated and Modified dialects. Spend some time with the blue rinse set on the North Shore to listen to the execrable Modified.

Andja really can't pick a Queenslander, eh?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I could never pick up a Queenslander. Does Steve Irwin has a typical Queensland accent? I suppose the lower class aussies (your hard yakkas) speak differently to the middle and upper class buts its a class distinction not a geographical distinction.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
whatcha talkin' bout boy? I ain't got no stanking aksent! ustakuld tell them yankeez apart! Here in texis we speak texan ya'll dang o' ijits.

actually I don't think I sound like a stereotypical texan...

[edit on 8-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Back a few years ago when there was easily available free talking over the net using microphones and a certain piece of software, I got to talk to and listen to the ladies in the UK, Canada, and Australia all at the same time. I like the accents and find them very sexy. I live in the southern US and I got a northern US accent with a southern slur someone told me. I thought it was amusing that one UK girl thought I sounded like one of her close friends. I enjoyed chatting with her though.

I remember on one vacation trip to Yakima, Washington I hadn't been there much longer than a week and I started to speak a few words with a western accent. It seemed strange to just start speaking that way without thinking about it. I quickly lost that when going back east.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Fairly standard American english here..

HOWEVER..I was raised by hillbillies..
My wife cannot understand my mother or my father.
So I translate
"warsh the tars on the car, then impty the eyeshtray."

If I hang around my Mountain people too long, I slip into that
Appalachian lingo though..

[edit on 9-5-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I have a good old English accent,

Originally posted by Voidmaster
It depends on who is listening to me. I've been told that I have a british accent.

I always wondered

The French dont speak French with a French accent...
The Spanish dont speak Spanish with a Spanish Accent...

Yet, the English manage to speak English with an English accent

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
I'm not sure. Do Chicagoans have accents?

Yes we most certainly do. We don't like to pronounce our A's correctly, or so they say. In reality we pronounce everything correctly while they need a little lesson in speaking!

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
That's amazing! Do you use most of the phrases in there? I bet there are words in that dialect that have gone unchanged for thousands of years....Back when words actually were related to what they meant...

Yeah, most of the words and phrases are part of my day-to-day language. Normal English, as I type here, is almost like a second language that is reserved for ATS and talking to the Boss!
My accent is slightly diluted compared to people in the heartland of the region though - you should hear some of them go!

It took my girlfriend about 2 months before she could understand my dad and some of my friends in conversation, but now she uses the odd BlackCountry phrase herself, which sounds quite surreal in her french accent.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join