It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Have An Accent?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just curious....It's just one of the many "spices" of life...

I used to work at a call center and would get all sorts of people calling in from all over the world - I got a kick out of talking to some of these people...

What's yours?

I'm sort of run-of-the-mill American myself....

[edit on 5/5/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I a m an American living in Canada. What always gets me is how often Canadians guess that I am an American. Even though I am from Michigan, people in Canada catch on that I am American. Of course, they can spot me when I say "roof" or "engine" just as I can spot a Canadian in the States when they say "about". It's funny because we both speak English. Still, I recall the words of Winston Churchill (or was it George Bernard Shaw?) when he said that Americans and Brits are two peoples divided by a common language. I guess this holds true for Canadians and Americans. Anyway, I have an accent to Canadians. Unfortunately, they never perceive it as being as "sexy" as a British or Aussie accent. Hmmmmm, do Brits or Aussies consider an American accent as being sexy?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have a Californian Accent

No Offense to you east coast people, but god your accent is bloody annoying.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'm not sure what accent I have, but I have been told that I have British West Indies accent, I say zed instead of zero
, a New York accent and a Brooklyn to be more specific accent, they say my "long" "talk" "walk" etc are the telling words

when I am with granny I have the real caribbean island slang, it comes only in conversations with her.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It depends on who is listening to me. I've been told that I have a british accent.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm not sure. Do Chicagoans have accents?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
When Im in NY I have a NY/American accent. When I go to Croatia I have a croatian accent. I know its weird. I just start talking like them over there.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
New Jersey/a little Long Island (is there such thing?)/a tincy wincy bit of connecticut.... it's from moving so much... my accent is just original... lol Why do all New Englanders call an aunt (pronounced ant) an aunt (pronounced with the begginning sounding like when you say ahhh for your doctor) !!! GRRRR

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
Why do all New Englanders call an aunt (pronounced ant) an aunt (pronounced with the begginning sounding like when you say ahhh for your doctor) !!! GRRRR

....I do that all the time...People down here in the south always look at me funny when I pronounce it like the word "haunt"....then correct me - Ummm, no - That's ANT....lol - Ohhh....Okay

Like you, I moved around a lot, so I picked up a few quarks like that.....

This is funny - Now when I read ya'lls posts I can put an accent to it

Hehe...How many British people do we have here who could clearly understand Brad Pitt's character from Snatch the first time they saw the movie??

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sometimes I sound very profesional, courteous, and intelligent. It's a little scary.

Sometimes I sound like a sex kitten, that one usually comes out when I'm on the phone at work (like in a call center). It surprises me when I hear that in my headset!

Then, sometimes I'll have a beer or three, and the redneck comes out .... then it's all Hell Yeah and Yee-Haw Y'all!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I have a white american accent. I do go into canuk mode when in Canada, but the strippers know.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
i have the all american kentucky twang ya'll!! my people are from germany....go figure!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have a plain non-regionalized American accent.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
well i have an ontario accent but if i go even talk to a kentuckyan for a bit i pick that one right up (genetic conditioning?
).

it was amusing the summer i spent a couple of weeks in kentucky at my realitives house i got home and drove everyone at work nuts
. even funnyer was when a custumer (i worked at a theam park) made a complaint to my boss that i was "makeing fun of americans by useing a southern accent". well of coure my boss was concerned about such a display of being a jerk. they he came into sight and said custumer pointed me out to him. he just cracked up.of course at this the custumer started to turn realy red and rave about such a lack of respect. that was when my boss told him that i had just returned from a family gathering in kentucky and that NO ONE could understand me anymore. i wasn't makeing fun of anyone
i just happen to have had my family come from there, and for some reason i just pick that accent right up. i must say that guy was suitibly embarresed about his own jumping to conclusions.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Do I have an accent?

NO. Only Yankees and Mexicans have accents

I am from Arkansas where we talk normal.

While we are at it what about the British? When will they learn English? I cant understand anything they say.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I always find it strange when people in America talk about a 'British' accent, becuase there are dozens and dozens of different accents here in the UK, and they vary wildly.

How would you guys from the other side of the pond describe a typical British accent? Give us an example of a someone who personifies that, if possible?

My accent is a semi-broad Black Country accent, which is as much a dialect as an accent. It is spoken around the Wolverhampton-Walsall-Stourbridge areas of England that were highly industrialised during the Industrial Revolution, and the coalfields around the immediate vicinity. The accent varies slightly from place to place, and mine is most like the Walsall version - think Noddy Holder from Slade - which is slightly diluted from the real hardcore Black Country dialect.

Here's a mini dictionary of some Black Country words and phrases for you. Check it out!

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Paul]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Im a "Masshole", so its all "chowda" for me.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
I always find it strange when people in America talk about a 'British' accent, becuase there are dozens and dozens of different accents here in the UK, and they vary wildly.

For sure! I've always noticed that - There's the prim & proper and the unintelligable....lol....Cockney....Lancashire ...

Here's another link with audio samples:
www.collectbritain.co.uk...

Here's a mini dictionary of some Black Country words and phrases for you. Check it out!

That's amazing! Do you use most of the phrases in there? I bet there are words in that dialect that have gone unchanged for thousands of years....Back when words actually were related to what they meant...

[edit on 5/6/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I have a good old English accent,
to be exact, i have a kentish accent

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
My accent depends on where I go. I kind of adopt whatever I'm exposed to... If I go visit my grandma in the country...I'm all ya'll and aint', but when I lived in Saudi, and had all British teachers, I had a hint of an English accent...(which was odd coming back to the states, till I lost it, hehe...)

Now, it's pretty normal American.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join