It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hereditary or learned????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I was just wondering everyones thoughts about wheather talents were hereditary or learned? I believe that talents can be hereditary...

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It can be both.

I'm a very good basketball player, but my dad plays like a girl (hehe)

My dad is a phenominal soccer player, but I'm not.

If we're not born with a talent we pick one along.

Edit: few spelling mistakes.

[Edited on 7-30-2003 by Illmatic67]

[Edited on 7-30-2003 by Illmatic67]

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I personally believe there mostly picked up, influenced very early in life. But, there are exceptions. It is like, are you learned to kill or steal hereditary. Have u seen Bad Seed the movie.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Physical characteristics of a person are innate.

Physical characteristics (including brain functioning and potential) are intrinsic to many abilities.

The environment brings them out.

Right makeup, wrong environment, no talents.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Right makeup, wrong environment, no talents.

I disagree.

Some of the worst environments one can think of have produced some of the world's foremost athletes, poets, writers, lawyers, world thinkers, etc.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Illmatic

Yes, I understand.

Then the environment, and its challenges, were right for them. Something challenged them. Such people may not have had the same stimulus in a cruisy middle class existence.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Such people may not have had the same stimulus in a cruisy middle class existence.

Granted.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I agree that it's both.
My dad is talented in art as well as I am. I have never really recieved proper training in art.
Of course certain enviroments and situations would or wouldn't provide that someone would realize their talents.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I agree with MA about the environments, there are 6 billion people on the planet, but very little talent, that is because 3 billion people live in environments that are completely oppressive and disruptive to the individual.

What talents is a Congoese kid going to have when his legs are blown off by some land mine?

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I also agree that a talent is learned and in some cases can be passed on... Although in a way they are the same thing... "Passed on," could also mean learned... Who are our most influential teachers? Our parents I would think... In that case it could be thought to be passed on because our parents taught us how to do something... Whether it be art, sports, or anything else for that matter...

top topics

join