It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is God?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
Ever wonder how there could be trillions upon trillions of snowflakes and not one is the same?
Ever wonder why nature can be in such harmony and man can be so reckless and hell bent on destroying it?
Ever wonder why some never get bit by dogs, and some are continually harassed?
Ever wonder why some athletes continue to excel, and others flounder?
Ever wonder how some look to the world with such hope, and others with such dispair?
Ever wonder why some people's eyes have such light in them, and others the light is not "on"?
Ever wonder why many religious people fight among themselves of such religion or others?
Ever wonder why some people are in such peace with themselves?

Because there are no God, but there is a TRUTH...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Perhaps God is the organising principle/intelligence behind everything. Maybe he's not a personal diety involving himself in our lives or denying help when we call out for it. Perhaps he just sets the ball rolling and leaves us to make what we will of things, the good and bad, the perfect and imperfect. If life was a bowl of cherrys we'd simply never learn or progress, just stay callow, superficial and static. Forget dogma/sin etc if we want to be closer to God maybe we have to learn through our own individual experiences good and bad and it's what lessons we learn (or not) that bring us closer.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
Ever wonder how there could be trillions upon trillions of snowflakes and not one is the same?

Ever wonder why nature can be in such harmony and man can be so reckless and hell bent on destroying it?

Ever wonder why some never get bit by dogs, and some are continually harassed?

Ever wonder why some athletes continue to excel, and others flounder?

Ever wonder how some look to the world with such hope, and others with such dispair?

Ever wonder why some people's eyes have such light in them, and others the light is not "on"?

Ever wonder why many religious people fight among themselves of such religion or others?

Ever wonder why some people are in such peace with themselves?

Bravo! Art! is this yours? You my friend have lived many lives. If not in this life the next.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
God is a word with three letters in it. Beyond that, I won't speculate at all, publicly. What is a word anyway?

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yes, they are mine except for the snowflakes.

For one to be in the position of heaven that we are in and not recognize God is beyond me.

All God has ever wanted is for us to love him and others. He made us in his image to create and experience. He put us into this illusion for that purpose. However, he also gave each of us the free will to do with this as we please.

Instead most live in fear and most organized religions preach fear. Why?

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Speculations, speculations and more speculations.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   
God is Everything and Anything.
God is beyond the 'finite' mind of reasoning; God is infinite.
Everything has a beginning and an end.
God has no beginning and no end.
God is the Source.
And God is All.
God is the Higher Thought.
Whether one believes or not, really doesn't matter does it?
The Truth is there and it can be found all around you.
Its a matter of individual perception.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   
spoiled rotten little child, who expects everyone to kiss his ass, and basically worship him, while simultaneously doing everything he can to thwart man's efforts at bettering himself (i.e. Tree of Knowledge, Tower of Babylon). He expects us to be free of sin, while he slaughters millions of innocents on a whim (i.e. The Great Flood, the first born Egyptians and the ten plagues). He even tells us that he will ultimately be punishing us regardless of what we do (Revelations), and that the only way we can save ourselves is to throw down to his mercy....
No thanks!

For your own sakes, as well as all others', you should hope this God of yours really doesn't exist at all, hehe....

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:33 PM
link   
In the wise words of Jethro Tull:

My God

People, what have you done
Locked Him in His golden cage
Made Him bend to your religion
And resurrected from the grave
He is the god of nothing
If that's all that you can see
You are the god of everything
He's inside you and me
So lean upon Him gently
And don't call on Him to save you
You from your social graces
And the sins you used to waive
And the bloody Church of England
In chains of history
Requests your earthly presence at
The vicarage for tea
And the graven image you know who
With His plastic crucifix
He's got him fixed
Confuses me as to who and where and why
As to how he gets his kicks
Confessing to the endless sin
The endless whining sounds
You'll be praying till next Thursday to
All the gods that you can count

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:43 PM
link   
"God is a spoiled rotten little child, who expects everyone to kiss his butt, and basically worship him"

That is absolutely incorrect. That is what many of the religions have made God out to be. God does not care about being worshipped or having his butt kissed. He could really not give a crap about all these big churches, temples, etc.

All God wants you to do is pass his love for each other to each other.

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
i think i could go with einstien n say that there is a creator because of the amount of organization in the uni/multiverse, however now that i think about it when u get down to quantum things they aren't so organized, it's kinda all messed up, like organized chaos or sumtin wierd, but things only act a certain way and thus i think something created everything, but i don't believe god is like God in the christian religions, no omnipotentcy nor omnibenevolance

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Religion is nothing but intolerance masquerading as love.

There is no need for a creator, since everything in the universe is infinite and cyclic. All things are circular, down to smallest particle we know of, right up to the largest planet. They all mimick atomic orbit and molecular structure. There is no beginning and no end.

[Edited on 26-8-2003 by Satyr]

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   

God does not care about being worshipped or having his butt kissed. He could really not give a crap about all these big churches, temples, etc.

Fine, then tell me how am I wrong? I can tell you how I am right....

To God, the one unforgivable sin is to reject him. So, think he still doesn't care about being worshipped? How did he react when his followers paid hommage to a golden cow idol, eh?
Check the Bible again....it's full of examples of God's vanity.... I could kill a hundred people, but then atone, and ask for God's forgiveness, etc. and ok, fine, you're in. But, if I lived a model life, but rejected God, it's in the fire you go.... So, how is this a God that doesn't care if he's worshipped again?

Yep, thought so....

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Oh man, you're going to hell for saying that Gazrok!

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
There you go using the Bible.

There is no hell to be sent to.

I repeat again God does not want to be worshipped. He could care less. He just wants his love passed around.

The golden calf deal or whatever? I'm not big on the Bible or any other holy book. Probably a story made up by man or interpreted by man. I think it was Moses who actually came down the mountain and was upset about the idol.

It's kinda like the 10 Commandments. Written by the "hand of God"? Writing commandments telling himself what to do and not do? It took Moses so long to get back from his trip up top because he wasn't the best chiseler in the world. Moses chiseled what he thought God was saying to him.

All religions have their "books" to go by. Just remember these books were written by man, and changed through the years.

For one to deny the existence of God is to deny that they themselves exist.

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If you think "god" is some symbol of love, you're sadly mistaken. Read my post on this page for a more realistic view of "god".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Oh man, you're going to hell for saying that Gazrok!

Yep...I've already got a nice little castle picked out in Hades, overlooking the lake of fire....it's quite lovely... The AC bill is a bitch though.....

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think all concerned should take a good look at this....

www.mystae.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
By saying man is infinite and God is more, I am saying that all definitions, conclusions and assumptions which define God, are more or less the result of man, (being as self assigned to physical parameters) attempting to categorize God within a framework, which in actuality is part of a framework man himself with time can accomplish with self realization of constant need for growth. God is beyond man's ability (now and in the future) to define as no matter how advanced or aware we become he is always more. To me that is his gift. How does God know that he is God? Does he fear anything higher? The meaning of life is to find meaning in it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Text Blue

WHO IS GOD?WHO IS GOD?

Nobody can answer that for sure.
Not even the most eloquent priest or intelligent atheist.
I am a person detached from the world now...
I've been a christian all my life and I was taught to never question GOD and it seemed only God's "messengers" were allowed to do so... I also realized many contradictions and ballony as I became old enough and open-minded enough to question the world and religion. I came to the conclusion that christianity and every religion is bull--- but the two thoughts remain... Does God exist? IF so, who is he?
People have a lot of nerve to describe God and his ways of doing things. If he does exists and behaves... But we really do not know. Human minds are extremely creative, a burden of intelligence.

I have two points of view that contradict each other.
I am quite confused at this point, but not dwelling on it.
I accept all replies here and even defensive ones.
Make sure to attack the topic you disagree with/on and not the author.
Thanks...

Point of View 1: If We created God... not the other way around

Let's say the Bible is wrong. All the Biblical authors were primitive men who wrote those books using their creative minds and created a whole bunch of myths or documented them as they were popular stories around that time. Maybe they were smoking the herb? or drinking too much wine? or dehydrated in the desert heat? or just bored???? maybe trying to gain fame? or create a new religion? (apostle Paul)... Let's assume God does exist but he is not that famous God of the Bible that has sons and acts human... The authors made them up. Let's assume that. Christians dont act defensive just follow along. Atheists let's assume a supreme being(s) exist.

According to modern scientists they discovered ( NO IDEA HOW!!!) that Earth is 4-6 billion years old and life is just as old... In the beginning there were small invertebrates that evolved into reptile-like amphibians and life kept evolving (GOd must be having fun creating things right?) dinousaurs came, Ice Age Megafauna, and animals that came and went while some such as cockroaches remained ( Does God love cockroaches? If he does, will Heaven be full of them?) Let's say God employed the method of evolution and it may be his only way of creating things, being that God in this case is not a character but a force like gravity and such. Humans evolved from tiny animals that became mammals and so fourth, and ancient humans to modern-day complex animals... Humans therefore, created beliefs and ideas that went on and on and were allowed to be considered fundamental truths in society. People imagined a divine being with a human mind and gave it human qualities so other people can relate to it
but if God is only a force that does not have the ability to love, hate and such then everything human-influenced and conducted is of our own actions! We created pet peeves for this God and called them sins, we used our own values and morals and gave it to God, we created the whole religion and miracles may be some force (called God) that was used to provide the miracle, maybe something unexplained or discovered that an Einstein of the future will discover! Or there is no God at all... Only us or maybe this supreme being is something like gravity or space? or the SUN?
Who knows? write your responses...

Part 2 coming up... provocative

[edit on 4-4-2008 by NGC2736]

<< 1    3 >>

join