It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things in the original Star Trek series that came true

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ehehe ok the trekkie deep down inside me is screaming to get out and if I don't let it free it will burst through my chest making a big mess.
Warp drive a la Star Trek was actually a field that lowered the mass of the vessel within the field allowing its normal fusion powered 'impulse drives' to propel the ship to much greater speeds.
Ahhhhhhhhh. There. Ok. I feel better now.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
What about things like automatic doors, were those around when it was first done (ST)?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
As a bit of a physics hobbyest and part time inventor, I'm working on several real-world versions of Star Trek "sci-fi" technology.

Massive energy sources - working on it. Have a design for a prototype. Waiting for funding to build and test. Also, using certain crystalline/metallic alloys for the conductors(because of conductivity, as well as heat resistance). The theory leads towards zero point energy. Much testing needed to prove if it is.

Energy shields - Working on it, though my model is far more crude than what appears in the series. EM fields, lots of power.

Artificial Gravity - Working on it. The theory tests positive, still need funding to build a prototype, and once the protoype is built, extensive testing is needed to prove it safe.

Particle Cannons - Already been invented. A form of particle cannon, the ion cannon, was invented by Nikola Tesla in the 1920s. In reference to him, it was more commonly called the Death Ray. Information on the device can be found by any web search regarding Nikola Tesla, though never has anyone found complete plans for the device (it was invented after Tesla entered his extreme paranoia phase, and selectively omitted several essential parts of the design and theory behind the weapon). I am also trying to fill in the blanks, and recreate the weapon. I may have a solution, but once again, lack of funding prohibits me from testing this.

Anti-gravity propulsion - theoretically possible. Already achieved in some forms, though none really efficient enough to use onboard a vessel (unless the government isn't telling us something). I have a means of making this work. This is in process in conjuction with another researcher. We'll let you know how it turns out.

Standard disclaimer: Much of the theory and schematics of the designs are going to remian confidential between myself and the others working on these designs. If I succeed in achieving any of these designs, I plan to patent them myself before sale of the plans. I can discuss a bit, however, so if you're interested, ask. One hint, though, all of this is possible through currently existing technology in a new configuration.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
im not a star trek fan, but wasnt antimatter a source of fuel for the ship ?

that is coming true, in small forms.

Ver smal I'd say, though it would be nice to see such a device, anti-matter is something we would need to manufacture, the current universe (matter) one out over anti-matter eons ago, no?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
can't forget the tricorder. acording to daily planet there is already a basic unit. it can even tell you colours. still working to improve it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Nobody mentioned this?
The Universal Translator.
Thats how they talk to all the aliens!!

US Military is developing exactly such a device and has working prototypes with Chinese and a few other languages on it! Go Anywhere, and ask "Where is the rest room?" to anyone, without saying "your mother is an infected pig" by accident!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Scientists have been able to teleport data, but not actual matter. The USAF even took a serious look into teleportation recently and published their findings, Google it and you may find it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Bones had a few neat toys. One that I always liked was his hypo spray. (a grown man, afraid of a little needle)
But people are working on this. www.dailycal.org... The U.S. Air Force is hard at work on a laser mounted on a 747.
www.airforce-technology.com... Transporter tech is only at its infancy, but people are working on it as well. news.bbc.co.uk... And a couple weeks ago I saw a replica Star Trek comunicator for sale on eBay that used blue tooth. So you left your cell phone in your pocket and talked through the comunicator. (but you did need the cell phone as well) So some things have come true....... Just remember........ It was FICTION.......

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
ouch i forgot about the hypo-spray
, bad drogo no cookie. it is not being reserched, it is fact. diabetics can get one if they want it. my understanding from a nurse who is herself a diabetic, and a diabeties educater is, that it hurts. that needles hurt less
, but it is out there being used.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Oh come-on. You start off being a scientific guru then, as posts before this, you seem to discourage posters from posting what theyfeel may or may not be true.
Yet you seem to stay close to only what you think is real or perhaps close to what you know. Amorymeltzer I can only suggest you allow this site to grow and not discourage individual thoughts.

Dallas

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Antimatter was the basis of propulsion and all energy production in ST I beleive.

Even among theorized and completly insane ramblings Antimatter remains the only way to produce/store the amounts of energy needed for something like that.

Nuclear fission and fusion turns very very very small amounts of the matter into energy.

Antimatter reacting with matter turn both completly into energy, through heat, radiation, some sound, light, and electricity. All of which can be harnessed and used or transformed to another more useful energy.

As of yet we can only create small amounts of antimatter in ideal laboratory conditions. It also takes insane amounts of energy and as such is NOT for our forseeable future a "source" of energy. It is however already being studied seriously as a way to store massive amounts of energy for later use.

Lets say Nuclear fusion/fission is 2 percent efficient ( I beleive its lower but its been a while) Anyway Antimatter reactions are around 98 percent efficient in creating energy. We all know a few pounds of nuclear material can supply submarines for a few years at a time if needed. The same amount of antimatter/matter could do that for 100 years...

Outside of the US there are a couple new particle accelerators under construction for the specific purpose of testing antimatter. Within the US I only know of one that was planned but has since been scrapped.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Sorry.. something I forgot to add..

Antimatter in our "world" is highly unstable as when it comes in contact with matter they basically distentegrate into pure energy. As such to be harnessed we need to perfect EM sheilding to keep it from coming in contact with matter.

I beleive CERN has had some limited success in guiding and decelerting antimatter with EM fields.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Bones had a few neat toys. One that I always liked was his hypo spray. (a grown man, afraid of a little needle)
But people are working on this. www.dailycal.org... The U.S. Air Force is hard at work on a laser mounted on a 747.
www.airforce-technology.com... Transporter tech is only at its infancy, but people are working on it as well. news.bbc.co.uk... And a couple weeks ago I saw a replica Star Trek comunicator for sale on eBay that used blue tooth. So you left your cell phone in your pocket and talked through the comunicator. (but you did need the cell phone as well) So some things have come true....... Just remember........ It was FICTION.......

The "hypospray" was used in the Air Force in 1984 when I went in. No needle; it simply injected a stream of immunization directly through the skin. No pain either. But they were serious when they told you NOT to move while the injection was taking place.
I think they started using this method to offset the "square needle" rumor that was rampant at the time

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
.........and yet they still have not cured baldness by the time of Jean Luc Picard.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by periwinkle blue
.........and yet they still have not cured baldness by the time of Jean Luc Picard.

Great point!! But you can add blindness into that mix as well (what was his name--Jordy?) Anyway, ST has always delivered the message of social acceptance of others despite their differences rather than attempting to change or "fix" everyone into being the same. Remember from the original ST the two guys (half black, half white) who were always fighting and trying to kill each other? There only difference: the colors were on opposite sides of their bodies.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
In the local newspaper today, I read about a treatment for blindness that the creators compared to Geordi's visor in TNG. Unfortunately, the newspaper's website didn't see fit to include that story in their online version, so no link
I did some Google searches, and I couldn't find that particular story I am referring to, but there were a couple that are a few years old on the same subject. Here is one of them:

www.news-medical.net...

The one I read about was similar to this, although it involved actually implanting some sort of wireless devices in the patient's head, which doesn't sound very pleasant. They hadn't perfected the tech yet, though, but hopefully in a few years they will be helping a lot more blind people see.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I read about that DragonDemesne a week or so ago, it looks really cool and really promising.

I don't think any ST influence, just the next logical step, but hey, why not?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join