It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobody To Blame In Canadian Sub Fire Case (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The Canadian Navy has found there was nobody to blame for the fire that killed Lt Chris Saunders onboard the HMCS Chicoutimi submarine last year. The former UK Royal Navy sub had been left crippled following the fire just three days into its maiden voyage flying the Canadian flag.

news.bbc.co.uk
The inquiry said the fire was caused by water hitting high-voltage cables. Two of the sub's conning tower hatches were open, contributing to the flooding.

The former British submarine was travelling in rough seas off the coast of Ireland when it was hit by a large wave, the inquiry said.

The vessel had been decommissioned by the Royal Navy in the 1990s. The incident led to Canada temporarily withdrawing three of its second-hand UK-built submarines from service while the cause of the fire was investigated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When this fire took place the Canadians and the press were quick to point the blame at the Royal Navy, saying they had sold the Canadians a 'Dangerous Sub'.

Three other second hand subs from the UK were grounded during the investigation and will at last be allowed to sail.

Its good news for the RN that it has been proven not their fault as feelings between the British and Canadians wouldnt have been to nice if they thought we had sold them our 'dodgy' subs.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I blame the Canadian Government for for buying 15 year old British crap.( no offence to the British, after all they mothballed these thing 15 years ago, I wounder why) I blame the Canadian Government for trying to save money at the expenses of sailors lives who belong to Canadian Navy. I blame the Canadian Government for not suppling the Canadian Armed Forces with up to date top of the line military technology. And I blame the Canadian people for not standing up to the Government and demanding our military forces be given the proper tools to do the job.

Bottom line It's the Canadian Governments fault yea I'm talking to you Paul Martin.
what a joke no one is to blame, who wrote that George Bush.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm going to have to agree with Sauron on this one.

I don't blame the British, it was an accident. I do blame our government for not providing the men and women serving our country with the best equipment possible, instead of giving them hand-me-downs. This isn't the first time being cheap has cost lives in our Armed Forces.

Note to self - if ever cruising around in a submarine, do not leave the hatches open.

Here's another source for your story:

"As the report makes clear . . . the British, in the process of delivering the submarines to us, lived up to all the terms of their contract," Graham said in Ottawa.

"It's clear this was an accident. This was not a sub-standard sub."

cnews.canoe.ca...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It is pitiful what the Gov't has done to our Forces. IF the Lib's live up to their promise to DOUBLE military spending inside of 5 years, great.

The problem I see is that they won't be around in 5 years.

top topics

join