It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Manta Rays Near Extinction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There are no laws currently protecting manta rays from fishing, and many fishers are taking advantage of that, especially in the waters surrounding Hawaii. Manta meat is considered a delicacy in many Asian countries and the fishing industry for this beautiful animal has exploded in recent years. The shocking number of manta fishers may drive the species to extiction while laws to end such practices may not be in place until 2007.

starbulletin.com
"If someone suddenly decides to come in and fish for them, they'll be gone and they won't come back," he said. "We could have curtailed any threat this year. It's a no-brainer."

Tim Clark, a University of Hawaii-Manoa graduate student and marine biologist, said protecting mantas should be a priority because they do not migrate, and each female produces only one pup every couple of years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Mantas are slow to migrate and reproduce, so even limited fishing can quickly lower the manta population.

Hawaii recieves nearly $3 million a year from tourists that dive with the mantas, and their extinction would kill that money. Also, mantas eat plankton and other small species that help to keep the food chain in balance.

Our planet may be soon be facing the extinction of one of its most beautiful creatures.

[edit on 5/5/2005 by lockheed]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Great find, I didn't know this was a problem. Manta rays are unique and spectacular animals and it looks like they could use our help.

On the other hand, I am now kind of interested in knowing what their meat tastes like. Funny how that works!

Zip

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If they have no laws governing them, then how do we know they are going extinct? How can they possibly have a number on them? I was swimming in the Keys in Florida and had one swin right under me, so they arent exlcusive to just Hawaii.

How do they know how many there are?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I hope this is an exageration, the Manta is a beautiful, graceful creature.

We would be lessened by it's extinction.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
That is a shame -- Maybe they need a television documentary to bring attention to this. I wonder if they have tagged any animals so they can track their movements to show they don't migrate far. There must be some major star out there who could add a bit of star power to the show.

Of course like someone else I did wonder what the met tastes like

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
While it is true there are no laws protecting them, I see this as just another group of animal advocates trying to make things sound worse then they actually are. They do it all the time. Take the Spotted Owl they claimed was near extenct when in fact it was not.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I hope this is an exageration, the Manta is a beautiful, graceful creature.

We would be lessened by it's extinction.

Yes.

As I child, as an adult, these creatures are fascinating. They are just so wild, so weird, and a perfect analog to underwater birds.

Besides, if they go extinct, future generations will watch Dr. No and be confused by what Bond hides under!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I was able to get about 6 feet away from one when i was snorkeling in the carrabian, things look like they are flying in the water. Be sad to see them "overfished" but then again a lot of fishing boats are start to go after more exotic fish since the demand and price for them is so high

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
For a little info on them google: Manta Ray Photos, Manta Birostris, Phillip Colla Natural History.

They are unique & fascinating creatures and we don't even know how long they live.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Astronomer68]

top topics

join