It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is JRR Tolkien racist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
no its not racist. there are a lot of movies out there with all white casts. private ryan, 2001, 2010, Band Of Brothers, the list goes on and on. who care if LOTR has only white people. have there been any complaints about it? nope. if it anit broke dont fix it.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
an all white cast isnt the authors fault it would be the casting directors fault, oh and if ya didnt notice, all the crossbreed orcs where maori's and they were put in that position beacause of there muscule structure, not beacause of there race.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Netchicken

Are you joking?

Tolkien was a devout Roman Catholic. Lewish, belongs to the Church of England. Tolkien's Catholicism, inturn actually influenced Lewis's decision to join the Church of England.

I would also like to note, Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings', is not a trilogy, it is a single novel, sometimes published in three volumes.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
No, Tolkien was not racist, he just uses a lot of similes in his books, where good guys are generally in white, bad guys are in black. Just like a lot of other great stories.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Biographers of Tolkien note that he started writing The Hobbit and then LOTR after returning to England after witnessing the carnage of the First World War. I'll have to think about racism and his writings. One of the things I liked in my first reading of his works is the portrayal of a complex, multicultural and diverse world. Was Tom Bombadil white? I can't remember.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
You can't do anything anymore without being called a racist. This is getting rediculous.

Should George Lucas be considered racist because Lando sold out Han?

Get a life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join