It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i just learned something new

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Since you reference school hallways, OP, I presume you are quite young, and I wonder if you are simply learning some things about intrinsic human nature (which is a compliment, by the way, as many people don't even bother to try and 'read' the world, in the way that animals, for example, do with their 'animal instincts').

At public places, such as shopping centres, busy stations, rush hour pavements etc, people have a much larger personal space bubble than, for example, at festivals or gigs, where everyone is linked into some other, arguably, higher collective consciousness (eg: love of the music, a chance to escape with like-minded people away from social norms etc). This makes sense, from a personal safety perspective.

So, rather than 'persuading' others to get out of your way, might you just be taking even one step too close into their personal space? It may not feel like that, as you might not feel that you are that close (because the 'bubble' in those circumstances is surprisingly big), but are they maybe simply taking a step aside to even it up, and maintain the distance they are comfortable with? This will be done, to a large extent, unconsciously by them.

Also, if you are American (in Britain, for example, we tend to call them school corridors, so forgive me if this is an asumption), and your school is multi-cultural, it's worth bearing in mind that other cultures have vastly different ideas of where the radius of personal space ends.

Therefore, you may feel that you are getting others to move because your idea of not being at all close is not the same as theirs, when actually they are just maintaining their personal radius - once, in the Norwegian Arctic circle, I actually walked between a mother and grown daughter in conversation: they were so far apart, to my eyes, that I didn't realise I was cutting through their exchange!

It's a bit old fashioned (1960), but if you're interested try reading Crowds and Power by Elias Canetti. It's devoted to the dynamics of crowds and "packs" and the question of how and why crowds obey power of rulers.
Sorry, bit long....

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join