It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Britain Votes 2005

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Today Britain takes to the polls. All across the country voters will flock to one of the 46,000 polling stations before they close at 10pm GMT. Prime Minister Tony Blair is up for reelection in his first electoral test since the controversial Iraq war. He is expected to win reelection easily against the Conservative challenger Michael Howard.

BBC News
Voters have been deciding the fate of thousands of would-be MPs as they cast their votes in the general election.

Electors will choose MPs in 645 constituencies.

The election has been postponed in the 646th constituency, Staffordshire South, because one of the candidates died.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The British electoral system differs from the American system in that voters will select their local Member Of Parliament instead of voting for an outright leader. The leader of the party with the most seats in the House of Commons becomes Prime Minister.

It's pretty much a done deal with Blair going to win but it'll be interesting just to watch and see how the key marginals go.

The first to declare should be Sunderland South which, in 2001, took only 36 minutes to count all the votes.

British Election Results will be available on the ATS Forum frontpage with additional commentary in this thread.

Related News Links:
SkyNews
SkyNews Electoral Map

[edit on 5-5-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Shouldn't this be under Politics@ATS? I mean what's the point of having a forum dedicated on politics when we don't even use it?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Why have a Political News section of ATSNN if you're not going to use it?

This article seems newsworthy enough for ATSNN Politics for me...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Just a quick note to remind folks that the first results are expected around 11pm.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think we are going to se a brand new prime minister in England.

That is my best bet.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I've come over all suspicious after this explosion in New York story. The British consulate just happens to be attacked with 2 grenades on election day. Also fresh in time for the evening news to remind all the late voters that "we are under threat".

Now they're saying its some Dutch UN employee who I'm sure will get lost in the bureaucracy.

I'm all suspicious now. Someone get me my decoder ring!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
But what are they protesting? the elections or the US relationship with England and possible influence on them.

I still can not get the fact straight on that news.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But what are they protesting? the elections or the US relationship with England and possible influence on them.

I still can not get the fact straight on that news.

Whose protesting?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm just wondering....

did Britain get new electronic voting machines also, or is there a chance of Blair losing?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Whose protesting?

The two bombs isn't a way of prostest on election day but here in the US. It was two granades.

They are still trying to see how was the ones that planted them in the British consulade.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
ge-orge bush

to-ny blair

gor-don brown

weird 3 Syllables each and all second names begin with B, its got to be a conspiracy!!

Both belong(ed) to secret societies not forgetting Gordon brown (Bilderberg) who will take Blairs place after his 3rd term.

Funny how the bilderberg meetings are taking place today till (I think) the 8th 40 miles from Munich, Germany all three of them were bilderbergers.
www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Who won? Who will be Bush's bitch if Tony loses?

Well, he won't "lose" his party will, for the England Parliment chooses the PM, so which ever party has the most members gets to choose the PM. It would be like if everyone voted for senators and represenitives, and then they chose who was president.

Wow, I am a Yankee and I knwo about English Government, I think. I could be wrong, it would be what I get for watching CBC.(they have the same system, right? Parliment chooses leader and all?)

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Who won? Who will be Bush's bitch if Tony loses?

Well, he won't "lose" his party will, for the England Parliment chooses the PM, so which ever party has the most members gets to choose the PM. It would be like if everyone voted for senators and represenitives, and then they chose who was president.

Wow, I am a Yankee and I knwo about English Government, I think. I could be wrong, it would be what I get for watching CBC.(they have the same system, right? Parliment chooses leader and all?)

Well, first things first. It's the BRITISH Government. 10 million of us resent being called English.

The Prime Minister is the LEADER of the Majority party. All the decisions have already been made, he won't be "deselected".

Voters vote for local MP's.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yaaawwnnnnn...Brittish Politics..

Sit Tony, SIT!!!

Good boy!!

This is as exciting as a 0-0 soccer match.

Bad news for ya Brits..We need Tony for a couple of more years..He aint goin nowhere..

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
SkyNews are reporting that Sunderland is going to be the first constituency to declare the results at 10:45.

Well, so long as they get them all counted in time.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Sunderland have really got a thing about that haven't they? Won't that be the fouth time in a row they've declared first?

Spliff, we had to sit through the "who's got the biggest wallet" competition a while back. Thankfully there's still a smidgin of actual politics, debate and policies involved in British elections. If the price to pay is that it's more boring, I'll take it.

Your right in one aspect, I doubt Tony's going anywhere but you won't be getting anymore wars out of him.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
BBC PROJECTS LABOUR WIN

MAJORITY OF 66

CONSERVATIVES GAIN 44

LIB DEMS GAIN 2

Americans can watch LIVE BBC Coverage on C-SPAN2. C-SPAN 2 can be viewed online at the C-SPAN website.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

BBC PROJECTS LABOUR WIN

MAJORITY OF 66

CONSERVATIVES GAIN 44

LIB DEMS GAIN 2

Thats better for the Conservatives than I had expected

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

BBC PROJECTS LABOUR WIN

MAJORITY OF 66

CONSERVATIVES GAIN 44

LIB DEMS GAIN 2

Thats better for the Conservatives than I had expected

There are worried whispers in the newsrooms. I'm not sure but it seems a lot of Labour strongholds suddenly became marginals.

We'll know within 90 minutes how the night is going to turn out.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

BBCNews Feed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join