It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good news for a change! Marine cleared in videotaped shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
CNN

Although the incident appeared horrible at first glance, upon further review of the facts and situation the soldier who was caught shooting a wounded Iraqi was cleared of all charges.

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Navy investigators have determined a U.S. Marine acted in self-defense when he shot an apparently wounded and unarmed Iraqi inside a Falluja mosque in November, a senior Pentagon official said Wednesday."

It goes on to state:

""The evidence indicates that based on the actions of those AIF (anti-Iraqi forces), the corporal reasonably believed that they posed a hostile threat to him and his fellow Marines and justifiably fired in self-defense.

"The enhanced videotape of the shooting supports the corporal's claim that the wounded AIF was concealing his left arm behind his head," the Marines said in a statement.

The report said that while it isn't "clear" whether insurgents in the videotape "made any overtly threatening gestures, it is clear that the Marines "were aware that feigning death was a common enemy" tactic.

"Accordingly, it was reasonable to believe that the corporal fired on the AIF after reasonably believing that the individual was committing a hostile act" by feigning death and subsequently moving his concealed arm."

I am so happy for this soldier and his family. Being in a situation where he was tried, convicted, and executed by a video tape that told a fraction of the story is a terrible thing. It just goes to show you that video and pictures aren’t enough to base opinions on these days. We live in and age where nearly everything gets caught on some sort of media. Its dangerous waters when we rely solely on these forms of evidence. Look what almost happened to this soldier? Justice has been done!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Ohhhhhh Yey!!! That's great news skippy. I think I'll go outside and frolic.

I especially loved it when that guy's melon exploded. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

Peace out

[edit on 5-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Ohhhhhh Yey!!! That's great news skippy. I think I'll go outside and frolic.

I especially loved it when that guys melon exploded. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

Peace out

Well, I don’t imply I am happy about the shooting itself. It would have been best if the incident didn’t happen at all. But it did. And I am happy that this soldier isn’t going to get prosecuted for something he did, that at the time was the right thing to do. Don’t be angry at that soldier, be angry at the situation.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This IS great news indeed!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Anyone not out to hang every soldier in the u.s military could have figured out this man did what he had to do and did nothing wrong..

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
THe insurgents have been rigging the injured and dead to take out american soldiers, I think the squad had lost a soldier to such an attack the previous day, can u really blame him for his actions?

Guerilla warfare aint pretty or PC on either side of the conflict, tactics used to defense and/or offense are most often brutal and verge on the edges of current war doctrines and treaties(time for a change anybody?) one must be decisive. This isn't some antiquated war where everybody lines up in pretty little lines to shoot at each other.

off topic do the geneva and hague convention treaty have a time limit like the nuclear weapons and energy view (u know recertification). I mean I'm mostly cocern about the ammunition our troops are force to fight with and minor tactical vulnerabilities. I mean with all the advancement in ammunition we have made especially in the last 5-10 years regular police swat teams have better ammunitions (blended metals, composite, hollow points) then our armed forces, I know of RUMORs from people I know over in Iraq of having to sneak in superior ammunition. our soldiers are firstly tied with 5.56 round and then have some of the weakest 5.56 (FMJ) of a really great selection of ammunition to go around. but all well it must be more humane to have to shoot some one 7or 8 times some they can slowly and gradually bleed to death....I know it was the interdend purpose of the 5.56 but I would rather disable by any means with one shot than have to spend a third of a clip on a single person to slow em down.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
And maybe the insurgents thought the helicopter pilot could still possibly get away with one leg. Same thing.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
And maybe the insurgents thought the helicopter pilot could still possibly get away with one leg. Same thing.

haven't heard too many stories of fallen helicopter injured and/or dead pillots rigging themselves to blow can u say the same thing about insurgents?

if ur face with superior force bring out all the stops, I know I would, but dont BLANK when it comes back and bites you in the rear. I'm pretty out there and honest when it comes to war but even I wouldn't compare a severely UNARMED person begging for their life with a injured combatant still clutching their weapons. It’s all out war and all but we should still call it like it is and this isn’t the same. If it was a US soldier severely injured holding their weapon while being storm by the enemy I said he died like a warrior, an injured CIVILIAN pilot (unarmed) begging for his life...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
i agree.........this was good news. i'm glad he didn't get charged with a crime.

he did what he had to do in the situation he was in...........we don't know that we wouldn't have done the same thing.

i'm glad for him and his family that they can at least put the trial portion behind them. i would guess he'll carry this with him always.

angie

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void
haven't heard too many stories of fallen helicopter injured and/or dead pillots rigging themselves to blow can u say the same thing about insurgents?

Exactly!
Definitely NOT the same thing

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

off topic do the geneva and hague convention treaty have a time limit

Not really applicable, as the enemy forces are not conforming to the requirements of being a recognized enemy as protected under the convention. I'm not aware of a time limit as in some other treaties. Most such treaties are for specific actions by specific dates...not really the same thing as what Geneva covers.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm sure this will go a long way towards "winning hearts and minds" in Iraq...
I wonder if they'll give him a medal?

And I love the doublespeak of referring to the insurgents as "Anti Iraqi Forces", Orwell would be proud, nice touch.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Good News All Around

Don't forget, frustrated sophists, propagandists and self-appointed armchair pundits around the world can now point with unrestrained glee at this "proof" that the U.S. is really evil after all.

After all, the camera doesn't lie, only filthy Americans.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Here it comes. Heck, it's already started.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

And I love the doublespeak of referring to the insurgents as "Anti Iraqi Forces", Orwell would be proud, nice touch.

If the shoe fits....

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Rockin' Good News

As far as I am concerned, if you pick up a weapon in a combat zone and shoot at US marines, death is what you are asking for.

If you are stupid enough to do that AND do it while dressed in civilain clothes, you forfeit any rights, privileges, or professional courtesy that soldiers show one another when surrendering or suffering from wounds in action.

Any if you play ball with people who booby-trap their own dead, or conduct suicide bombings, or use children to carry weapons and bombs, then you should be eradicated for cause - no mercy whatsoever. They wounded guy probably got a quick and painless death versus slowly bleeding to death or dying from massive infection anyways. Soldiers know this...........

As far as I am concerned, I think that Al-Jazeerah (sic) should be broadcasting that clip non-stop.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thank God this soldier was found innocent, if we did this to our soldiers during WW II....we woulda never won the war!! After every battle instead of our troops moving ahead to the next target, they woulda been hauled in for questioning.

Thats insanity!!! our soldiers can't win wars if their under the same retrictions as a police officer on the streets of New York. Who wants to fight a battle knowing your actions will be under a micro-scope by REMF??

If we keep stabbing our combat troops in the back with STUPID investigations like this, Morale will go down the tubes and we're gonna lose recruits and who will fight Americas battles that need to be won??

The journalist students at Berkely or NYU??? Those Pansies probably never even fired a BB Gun.......In fact, Im sure they would join the terrorists.

Now I hope Lt. Pantano will be found innocent as well. I sent money to Michael Savage to help him out.

sorry for the long Rant

Maximu§

[edit on 123131p://444 by LA_Maximus]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well this one piece of news that I am very glad to heard, we can not be going around bringing our soldiers in trial everything they are in a war zone.

Even if I disagree with the invasion of Iraq.

I am very happy for this Marine.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I'm sure this will go a long way towards "winning hearts and minds" in Iraq...
I wonder if they'll give him a medal?

I’m the first one to go after PC and "double talk" but the Insurgents have killed a lot more Iraqis than US/foreign forces. Apart from the occasional road side bomb and the beheading they are mostly killing other Iraqis. and The make up of the insurgent is made up a lot less of Iraqi and more foreign fighters each day so guess what that means...The Baath (spelling) loyalist and DOMESTIC Islamic radicals are almost at an manageable level (at least for that part of the world, not perfect but then again what is) and it’s mostly foreign agitators spearheading the insurgency, at least that’s what I’ve personally heard. But then again like I’ve said before I’m not PC either way and we can also be labeled as foreign agitators hehehe…

as far as hearts and minds go, if they want saddam and his torture chambers give 'em back. At least now granted it's more dangerous because of the constant bombings going on at least their fate is more in their hands now than it was under saddam (spelling). Once the fighting dies down and they can get to work on their infrastructure then we'll see where they really stand because now no matter what anybody says we are still a war, and playing dress up on a carrier is not going to change that fact. Taking a quality of life poll while in the middle of a war is not really the most ideal and/or objective now is it? The Iraqis (insurgents anti us) did the smartest and only realistic option they had to fight against the US, and I can not believe nobody for saw this, I'm a virtue Prophet to anybody who knows me, I said that saddam would Officially crumble in days if not weeks of war starting and his forces would fall back and embed themselves among the general populace and set out on a terror/guerilla campaign. I mean showers with roses my BLANK, if a dumbBLANK like me could have seen what was coming how could nobody in Washington foresee and prepare for this. I do give credit with the vision that Iraq is opening some eyes in the area as far as far as democracy goes (didn’t see that coming) and the most plausible reason for going to war with Iraq was to draw in all the fanatics in the area (seems to be working) and have them in the sandbox there.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is definately good news

The Marine Corps has always been the most favorite branch for the media.
The media targets news on the Marine Corps wherever they can get it, both good and bad. And NCIS set the record straight on this one. Yes it was a hazey incident but as someone else stated:

as the enemy forces are not conforming to the requirements of being a recognized enemy as protected under the convention.

This is true!!

Put yourself in that Marines shoes, If someone killed someone you love, one of your botthers and he still posed a possible threat to you and your fellows Marines.....what would you do? What would you do if someone shot up your best friend...would you shoot him, even if he was unarmed?

I sure as hell would.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The U.S. it seems, appears to escape unharmed by all "accountability moments". Though this has certainly been the case for everybody involved in this illegal action from executives to low rank soldiers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join