It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Marine Cleared in Mosque Shooting Incident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The Marine Corps have announced that the Marine who was caught shooting a defenceless man on camera will not face a court marshal. According to a spokesman the Marine was acting within the rules of engagement at all times so no prosecution is necessary.

www.msnbc.msn.com
A Marine corporal who was videotaped shooting an apparently injured and unarmed Iraqi in a Fallujah mosque last year will not face court-martial, the Marine Corps announced Wednesday.

Marine commander Lt. Gen. John Sattler has ruled the soldier involved fired his weapon in self-defense, and no charges will be filed against him, NBC News learned Wednesday.

Later Wednesday, Maj. Gen. Richard F. Natonski, commanding general of the 1st Marine Division, said that a review of the evidence showed the Marine’s actions in the shooting were “consistent with the established rules of engagement and the law of armed conflict.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This will not look good to the rest of the world. The video showed what looked like an unprovoked attack on a defenceless person. Perhaps the US has shoot itself in the foot here.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by Uncle Joe]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Thank God, I was worried they were going to prosecute this guy who was just doing his job since it had become so publicized.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is great news! The marine did what he needed to do to stay alive. The enemies are known to booby trap himself or just blow themselves up in order to take out US soldiers. This marine was in a high stress environment, and made a judgement call. I don't care what was said or heard on the video, or how it made the marine sound like a ruthless killer.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The intro looks better. You'll get my "yes" if you correct the spelling now...

Next time please oh please type it in something with a spell-checker first!

This is a good story, good news that the world needs to hear! The Marine in question has been villified over a dramatic video with no contextual reference.

His vindication may put a damper on people's enthusiasm to jump to conclusions based on further sensational video.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Good find -- I'll make my vote a yes if you correct the spelling also.

I'm glad he was cleared -- it is easy to make negative judgements when you are sitting home looking at a video that is a just a small clip of what is actually happening. One reason it is good that it was reviewed by the military -- unfortunately the clip got on the news for tv viewers to make a decision of their own without knowing all the details.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't buy that it was murder. The victim was clearly someone who could be perceived as a threat, and the video doesn't show the soldier callously killing him for no reason. It was questionable, but not criminal.

top topics

join